Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So. Catapults?  (Read 11351 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: So. Catapults?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 04:04:53 pm »

...and when you apply vaporizing rocks in the equation (especially if the gas ignites) you have one powerful; in unreliable, genocide machine.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 04:06:33 pm »

A nuke disguised as a red button.

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 05:34:28 pm »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 06:29:09 pm »

Alright, I have some stuff. A catapult made with 1 well-crafted part, one exceptional part and one finely-crafted part. The weapon is manned by metalsmiths with no siege operating experience.

Shot 1, quartzite boulder: missed, no animals were in that one straight line at firing. ::)

Shot 2, marble boulder: flew past the animals and slammed into the wall, shattered, not recoverable. I might've been seeing it wrong but I think it passed right on their tile and still missed.

Shot 3, marble boulder: passed right onto several animals' tiles and did nothing. Went into a wall and shattered.

I'm just going to call it now. Catapults are still useless.

Friendlies and dwarves aren't affected by catapults.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 07:08:07 pm »

Don't catapults generate dust such as the kind caused by cave-ins?

I have never, ever seen a catapult generate cave-in dust, not even back in old versions.
I must be going crazy. I remember, at the very least, a graphical effect similar to that caused by a cave-in back in 40d. Right? Am I misremembering?
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 07:18:17 pm »

So, wouldn't a two-tile bridge work much better as a catapult in these versions? I haven't used siege weapons since 2d, and even then they were... rather limited in usefulness. I'm thinking a bridge loaded with anvils/bars/blocks of some sort and set to flip a certain way would be an easy way to turn most norma-size enemies into pulp, correct?

Bridges throw things random directions, and only a few tiles. You can't set them to flip a certain way.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »

Alright, I have some stuff. A catapult made with 1 well-crafted part, one exceptional part and one finely-crafted part. The weapon is manned by metalsmiths with no siege operating experience.

Shot 1, quartzite boulder: missed, no animals were in that one straight line at firing. ::)

Shot 2, marble boulder: flew past the animals and slammed into the wall, shattered, not recoverable. I might've been seeing it wrong but I think it passed right on their tile and still missed.

Shot 3, marble boulder: passed right onto several animals' tiles and did nothing. Went into a wall and shattered.

I'm just going to call it now. Catapults are still useless.

Friendlies and dwarves aren't affected by catapults.

Friendlies and dwarves are affected by catapults ONLY if they are standing at the maximum range of the catapult and are on the same z-level. If you fire a catapult across a field and watch where the shots stop, and put a dwarf or pet there, it CAN get hit.

Don't catapults generate dust such as the kind caused by cave-ins?

I have never, ever seen a catapult generate cave-in dust, not even back in old versions.
I must be going crazy. I remember, at the very least, a graphical effect similar to that caused by a cave-in back in 40d. Right? Am I misremembering?

I have never seen catapults create cave-in dust either.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 07:53:35 pm »

I'm really going to implement my idea. With being able to bring huge quantities of stone there much faster, legendary siege operators can cause a rain of stone to fall. Catapulted stone may not do much damage, plus the stone is destroyed, but this way you can recycle the stone and stones falling some z levels should cause some damage. and with a crew of legendaries, firing rate should be great. The only thing to worry about is flyers that don't get hit by falling objects.

This could have some interesting applications against fliers, actually. If you're firing catapults so that the stones drop down onto grounded enemies through small vertical tubes or somesuch, flying enemies would probably path up the tubes and get hit by falling rocks, or by the stone still in the air from the catapaults. Plus, if the vertical tubes are long enough and your catapault count is sufficient, they'll get killed in mid-air most of the time and their (presumably heavyish) corpses will fall back onto enemies.

I did some testing in the arena mode: killing giant cave swallows above goblins in a 1x1 chamber that guaranteed they'd get hit by the falling corpses*). The goblins were armored with a copper helm, breastplate, and shield, had a silver maul, and competent fighter/shield/armor/dodging/hammerman skills. If the goblins' level is considered level 0, the swallows were killed (adamantine axe to the head) and dropped from level 4. Combat log samples are below. It looks like this tactic might prove viable if the fliers could be killed reliably on the way up the tubes.

I am uncertain as to whether corpses missing limbs will do less damage. Does their weight change on limb removal? If so, keeping them intact through the use of blunt attacks would be to one's benefit (unless peppering goblins with disembodied fingers and toes is somehow useful).

*thus, dodging was not factored into the test-- I was merely assessing the damage a falling cave swallow corpse could cause to a traditionally-armored goblin. It seems that armor will stop most major falling-corpse damage (lung-bruising is still possible, as evidenced by the bruising to the armored lower body by GCS 4). The limbs, however, are still fair game.

EDIT: Also, here's a semi-related idea: have a multi-leveled fortress entrance, with a bridge as each level's floor. Guide sieges into the top floor, killing them in whatever manner you'd like, and when the next siege comes along, lead them into the floor below and drop the first siege's remains onto them through the use of the bridge-floors. You can snowball this effect again and again for greater damage each time, eventually collecting the loot on the bottom floor.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:11:36 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 12:18:53 pm »

I'm really going to implement my idea. With being able to bring huge quantities of stone there much faster, legendary siege operators can cause a rain of stone to fall. Catapulted stone may not do much damage, plus the stone is destroyed, but this way you can recycle the stone and stones falling some z levels should cause some damage. and with a crew of legendaries, firing rate should be great. The only thing to worry about is flyers that don't get hit by falling objects.

This could have some interesting applications against fliers, actually. If you're firing catapults so that the stones drop down onto grounded enemies through small vertical tubes or somesuch, flying enemies would probably path up the tubes and get hit by falling rocks, or by the stone still in the air from the catapaults. Plus, if the vertical tubes are long enough and your catapault count is sufficient, they'll get killed in mid-air most of the time and their (presumably heavyish) corpses will fall back onto enemies.

I did some testing in the arena mode: killing giant cave swallows above goblins in a 1x1 chamber that guaranteed they'd get hit by the falling corpses*). The goblins were armored with a copper helm, breastplate, and shield, had a silver maul, and competent fighter/shield/armor/dodging/hammerman skills. If the goblins' level is considered level 0, the swallows were killed (adamantine axe to the head) and dropped from level 4. Combat log samples are below. It looks like this tactic might prove viable if the fliers could be killed reliably on the way up the tubes.

I am uncertain as to whether corpses missing limbs will do less damage. Does their weight change on limb removal? If so, keeping them intact through the use of blunt attacks would be to one's benefit (unless peppering goblins with disembodied fingers and toes is somehow useful).

*thus, dodging was not factored into the test-- I was merely assessing the damage a falling cave swallow corpse could cause to a traditionally-armored goblin. It seems that armor will stop most major falling-corpse damage (lung-bruising is still possible, as evidenced by the bruising to the armored lower body by GCS 4). The limbs, however, are still fair game.

EDIT: Also, here's a semi-related idea: have a multi-leveled fortress entrance, with a bridge as each level's floor. Guide sieges into the top floor, killing them in whatever manner you'd like, and when the next siege comes along, lead them into the floor below and drop the first siege's remains onto them through the use of the bridge-floors. You can snowball this effect again and again for greater damage each time, eventually collecting the loot on the bottom floor.

thanks for considering the basics.

You can have several floors of catapults, or indeed balista, to shoot at a wall, thud into the wall and the amunition will drop down to the level-whatever, damaging anything in it's way. Probably not killing much, but it is something I think of as funny.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2012, 12:35:53 pm »

Change the material you're firing's gas state to the temperature of the average homeotherm (10067), and you've got yourself explosive ammo. Very volatile though, so have fun.
Not sure if that would work, for several reasons:

1. A dwarf carrying the rock would cause the rock to vaporize.

2. A particularly hot region might vaporize the rock.

3. A material in gas state at 10067°U would still only be 10067°U. A material that ignites at 10067°U would still be a source of !!Fun!!(and still solid), but you'd still have the problem from #1.

I think I remember there being a way to mod a material so that it slowly heats up to a certain point(probably the ambient temperature). [SPEC_HEAT], I think, and low melt temperature. Might be able to make a timed "firebomb" material this way.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »

Change the material you're firing's gas state to the temperature of the average homeotherm (10067), and you've got yourself explosive ammo. Very volatile though, so have fun.

3. A material in gas state at 10067°U would still only be 10067°U. A material that ignites at 10067°U would still be a source of !!Fun!!(and still solid), but you'd still have the problem from #1.

I think I remember there being a way to mod a material so that it slowly heats up to a certain point(probably the ambient temperature). [SPEC_HEAT], I think, and low melt temperature. Might be able to make a timed "firebomb" material this way.

would be cool if you could make that a rection like "make napalm"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 12:45:23 pm »

1. That's why I added the 'volatile' part :P
2. 'volatile' - keep it underground, it'll never go off. Once fired, it sails through the air into the scorching biome - and once it hits something - it's effected by the biome and !!BEWM!!
3. Would it still cause damage? (I've not successfully or had reason to make many explosive things in DF that didn't involve cave ins before) I mean, adding syndromes would have the same effect... But who wouldn't want viral plasma?
Pages: 1 2 [3]