Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Add advertisement to DF?  (Read 13905 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add advertisement to DF?
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2012, 10:36:20 pm »

Those chainmail bracelets would work.   :)

I've made something like that.  Well, it was a few spare rings from another project cobbled together into a chainmail "band" (8-1 density, IIRC, for those that know about these things...) maybe three or four rings wide. but the person I gave it to seemed happy at the gift.  (Haven't seen her since, but she does live on another continent!)

addedit:
I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.
Aha...  in many ways (except for the clasp bit) not far off from that Micromail bracelet.  Except in copper.  Nice.  Must say, I never personally thought of adding beads and things like a couple of them had.  They look nice, but can't see me doing that. ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:44:20 pm by Starver »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »

8-1 I'm impressed.  But to achieve that you're usually using low quality materials, like scraps as you said.  I managed 10-1 but that was with like 1/2" rings, very poor quality and very heavy.  Good thing galvanized steel is cheap!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2012, 11:30:11 pm »

8-1 I'm impressed.  But to achieve that you're usually using low quality materials, like scraps as you said.  I managed 10-1 but that was with like 1/2" rings, very poor quality and very heavy.  Good thing galvanized steel is cheap!
(Note, I'd just appended, on my original message, after seeing your reply...)

The copper rings I used were made from totally anacrhonistic enamelled copper wire (of a gauge I forget, but maybe a tad over 1mm diameter) sourced on spools from a popular electrical outlet, wound on my own (scratch-built) ring-making rig and cut from the resulting spiral with tin-snips (which easily break, I find, when doing the same thing with galvenised steel garden-wire of roughly the same cross-section!).  This cutting method gives a diagonal cut to the rings which means that you get sloped-overlapping ends on the rings that somewhat mitigate some of the problems I found with rings that I carefully cut to have straight adjoining edges.  I've never attempted rivet-closed rings, it looked too much like hard work when I later went to a local Arms and Armour museum and watched the local craftswoman assembling a piece in this way.

I've never had much luck with already 'separate' split rings and washers, but I found I can manipulate my own varieties quite well.  They're quite malleable, the copper ones, yet hold their shape reasonably.  The galvenised steel ones are far tougher to open and close, but thus also stay much more firmly as rings, under the greatest stress.  The 'practice rings' (so far unmentioned) that I made of standard green-plastic-coated garden wire (slightly thicker on the whole, but a lot of that being the plastic, the metal wire being thinner) that I mainly used to work out discontinuities (and various none-Euclidean features in early attempts to construct chainmail) are actually good enough to stay together under static conditions (i.e. while prototyping), but I wouldn't trust it for wearing "out and about", even if the end result of having virtually noiseless 'camo-chainmail' (for a forest environment) has some sort of very anachronistic style point to it, for those that aren't sticklers to medieval reality.  (And those that are wouldn't have accepted the galvanised versions, either, but I've never made this stuff to be true-to-life authentic, just for fun. ;)

I've also heard good things (when viewed at a distance only) for rings made of UPVC pipe of the right size cut into rings (and then either all, or a proportion of them, split, to later be plastic-glue re-welded), and then sprayed silver/whatever.  Very light-weight.  But hardly something that'd pass muster close-up. ;)

Oh, and somewhere at home I've an (as yet incomplete) attempt at something I'd consider micromail!  Copper wire (as above) of a much finer gauge, formed by wrapping around a random tool that has a diameter of not much thicker than the wider pencil-leads and (painstakingly!) cut into rings with two loops-worth (the only way I can get the ring to hold together!) and being put together as a very fine mail mesh which I had orignally planned to be the same area as (and maybe even masquerade as a chainmail version of!) a common-or-garden men's handkerchief.  But that's so fiddly that I keep putting off its construction. ;)  And that's while only 4-1!  I doubt I'll even get near the more lady-like hanky size, within the foreseeable future, especially as I haven't even touched it for best part of a year, now, and actually started it off half a dozen years back!

(Urgh, smiley overload... cutting some out...  Still too many, but anyway.)

- Not intentionally derailing, BTW, but I could see me being accused of sending us rather off-topic despite this.

[1]] But, apart from the fact that I'm highlighting the fact here, I feel that it would be sexist to pointedly use "craftswoman" or "craftsperson" in this case, as I would never dream of even going gender-neutral if she hadn't been a 'she', and so want to treat the term as per the nominal term of "Actor", to which the "Actress" variant is considered by some as being derogatory.  And now I'm confused over whether I'm being too PC, or the polar opposite of being bad-old-days misogynistic... edit: I obviously had a brainfart, last night.  It's totally right to say "Craftswoman" (and amended/removed footnote link, as such), although "Armoursmith" would have covered it.  Surprised no-one commented.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:45:07 am by Starver »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:25 pm »

*whew*, was concerned for a bit there that this thread got rerailed...

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 01:08:26 am »

This is a Masterwork thread. It is made of goofy original posts. It is decorated with rings of derailing. On the side there is a picture of GirlInHat made of thread derail. GirlInHat is sipping tea.  It menaces with spikes of misplaced advertising advice.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 01:27:25 am »

Let's all take a minute to point and laugh at the people who stopped by to give a serious answer as to why this is a bad idea.

However, I would buy the shit out of dwarf fortress merch.
If these shirts were available, I would be very very happy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 07:43:45 am »

This is a Masterwork thread. It is made of goofy original posts. It is decorated with rings of derailing. On the side there is a picture of GirlInHat made of thread derail. GirlInHat is sipping tea.  It menaces with spikes of misplaced advertising advice.
Coincidentally, my name only has one capital letter.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2012, 08:13:22 am »

They'd have to add in always-online DRM to enable the streaming.  I don't really see a downside to this.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 09:03:06 am »

I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm sure you do, which is why I posted it right under your post.   ;)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2012, 09:30:03 am »

As horrible as the idea of ads in DF is, I do kind of want to see somebody try, just so we can see professionally made adverts with code page 437 graphics. It could be either hilarious or incredible, depending on how well they do it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2012, 09:41:53 am »

Someone please make a spam bot mod, that turns everything in DF into derails and product placements.
...isn't that what DF already is?
The forums, maybe.

As horrible as the idea of ads in DF is, I do kind of want to see somebody try, just so we can see professionally made adverts with code page 437 graphics. It could be either hilarious or incredible, depending on how well they do it.
"Horrible" doesn't have an a, an o, or an s. You spelled it wrong.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2012, 09:50:17 am »

wat
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2012, 09:52:06 am »

"Horrible" doesn't have an a, an o, or an s. You spelled it wrong.

But... I do truly believe that product placement would be hoarrissble!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2012, 09:54:49 am »

They'd have to add in always-online DRM to enable the streaming.  I don't really see a downside to this.

Not really. Prototype wasn't always online required, and I saw ads for stuff all the time on the billboards while I was running around ripping people in half. Best was the one advertising the premier of a new tv show that night:p

I'm guessing it archived some ads when it had a connection, but those were generic, no context based ads.

That being said, ads in DF?

no no no no no no no no No No No NO NO NO NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2012, 10:22:38 am »

ASCII advertising?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7