Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Add advertisement to DF?  (Read 13869 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add advertisement to DF?
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 10:37:39 am »

Hey khearn,
is your experience pretty common for software engineers? If I may ask, what company do you work for?

I work for Google, so I've got a slightly better benefits package than most companies. But the salary isn't significantly better, I actually took a $10K salary cut to come here.  My salary plus benefits at my last job was still worth at least triple what Toady is making. The main thing I get here that I didn't get at other jobs is the free meals. That and being able to tell someone where I work and NOT having them say "I've never heard of that company."
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2012, 10:43:43 am »

I didn't mind the ads in Rainbow Six: Vegas because they were relegated to small billboards. Most of which could be destroyed =D
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2012, 10:49:41 am »

I was just going to say that if we were going to have ads, make them fake ads (like GTA's billboards/etc and radio stations).  Except that I just realised that apart from merchants in the market crying ouit their wares, there'd really be nothing relevant to the era anyway.  (And I'm not ignoring that the point of the ads would be revenue stream from real companies, I just feel that this is totally out of the Bay12/DF vision, so dismissing it until and unless Toady does sell out/sell on.)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »

Hey khearn,
is your experience pretty common for software engineers? If I may ask, what company do you work for?

I work for Google, so I've got a slightly better benefits package than most companies. But the salary isn't significantly better, I actually took a $10K salary cut to come here.  My salary plus benefits at my last job was still worth at least triple what Toady is making. The main thing I get here that I didn't get at other jobs is the free meals. That and being able to tell someone where I work and NOT having them say "I've never heard of that company."

Hey, were you in that crowd lining the street holding Google Map signs when the camera van drove by outside Google HQ? Found that shot on street view a few weeks ago, thought it was pretty cool :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2012, 01:08:23 pm »

The speeding  *Mustang* strikes the goblin in the leg, bruising the muscle and shattering the bone! The goblin's head skids along the ground, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain! The goblin has been struck down!"

"Engraved upon the wall is masterfully engraved image of a Coke bottle."

"Engraved upon the wall is a masterfully engraved image of Urist McEngraver. Urist McEngraver is engraving. This relates to the masterfully carved engraving of a Coke bottle by UristMcEngraver in the year 47."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »

I can imagine what era-specific ads would appear, made by citizens and applying to citizens - not aimed at the player.

Humans:
Freshest strawberry wine in town!
Finest leather goods in the nation!
Cheapest tables!

Elves:
Bring home the most exciting Exotic Animals today!
For our children.  For the future.  For a tree.  Stop Dwarven Lumberjacks, repeal proposition 2.
Taboo Pleasures, finest elven maids and lads - we won't tell Lodom you're here~

Dwarves:
Battleaxe Battleaxe Battleaxe Battleaxe Battleaxe

Kobolds:
Splithrignis lorduthimsissi regherflipinst - CORPHUTIII!

Goblins:
Help society.  Adopt Today.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »

[quote author=rtg593 link=topic=109695.msg3294737#msg3294737 date=1337361192

Hey, were you in that crowd lining the street holding Google Map signs when the camera van drove by outside Google HQ? Found that shot on street view a few weeks ago, thought it was pretty cool :p
[/quote]

khearn goes and looks at the Googleplex in streetview.

No, I didn't even know about it. I wonder when they did it. Ah, looks like May 2008. I didn't start until 2009. That explains why I didn't hear about it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2012, 01:35:33 pm »

"Migrate to the Tower of Wires! Marvel at the magma machinations of the Fountain of Flames*! Tour** the tremendous Tower of Termination! Special positions*** open for animal caretakers, farmers, and woodcrafters of all ages! 700 Kilourists north. PRAISE ARMOK!"

* may cause spontaneous melting
** Help build and die on
*** arrow/bolt holders

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2012, 01:47:08 pm »

BILLY MAYS HERE, WITH A BRAND NEW PAIR OF SOCKS THAT'll KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!!

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2012, 02:05:59 pm »

At the start of the game, before the intro animation starts, a logo appears. Proudly rendered in finest non-accelerated ascii mode glory...   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unskippable of course, so that we can bask in its magnificence.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2012, 02:28:28 pm »

Ascii adverts?

That's so.............90s shareware.

Seriously, Apogee was notorious for that.

Grab say... shareware "mystic towers" from underdogs, then immediately quit.  You'll get a full color 80x25 ascii (well, ansi) advertisment for the full version.  No lie.  Strangely, google image search returns no hits for an image.  I might make one later.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2012, 03:01:06 pm »

I made good money when I was younger (much, much younger) making ASCII/ANSI animations for BBS's run by computer shops, etc.

My masterpiece was a team of ☺'s walking onto the screen carrying pieces of a logo, and assembling them, timed for 1200BPS.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2012, 03:54:22 pm »

Goblins:
Help society.  Adopt Today.

This made me laugh a bit, so I'm going to stick it in my sigtext.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »

Those chainmail bracelets would work.   :)
I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.

Advertisement is so unthinkable, right?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2012, 10:50:19 am »

In game, yes.

If someone was making DF shirts and hats and suchlike, and donating the profits to Toady One? I would buy a shirt every month til the day I died.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7