Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: suggestion - assigning items to dwarves  (Read 628 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
suggestion - assigning items to dwarves
« on: August 17, 2006, 06:39:00 pm »

One of my dwarves in an otherwise promising fortress has been tantruming over losing his war dog to a vicious raccoon, and since he's a wrestler, armor user, and proficient marksdwarf I've been rushing to pacify him so that he (hopefully) won't go berserk and start killing people.

In his profile it says that he likes limestone, and I noticed that we've got a couple of limestone items sitting in the finished goods pile, so I was just thinking how neat it would be if we could 'assign' items to specific dwarves, either as a reward for doing something good or as a bribe to keep them from doing something bad.

Receiving something, say, a mug or sceptre or whatever would give them a tiny bit of happiness that would increase for a fancier item, or for an item made out a material they like.  

It'd also be nice if you could assign them their own personal chair in the dining hall, kind of like assigning a bed. The same could be applied to a lot of items - in my last game I had a macques leather shirt from a dead dwarf in my stockpile, and at the same time I had a live dwarf that liked macques leather, and it seemed a shame I couldn't give it to her.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion - assigning items to dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 06:42:00 pm »

_I_ wish I could assign weapons to dwarves who aren't in the miltiary and have them carry them around in case of frogman attacks or the like.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 06:44:00 pm »

This gives me an unrelated idea. Dwarves could trade items to other dwarves. Like dwarf A likes tiger leather, and dwarf B likes macaque leather, so they hand them off to each other.

Or maybe they could just arrive buck naked, with the clothes in the wagons for them to pick out based on preference. Due to a ceremonial pre-dig offscreen orgy, no doubt.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zereth:
<STRONG>_I_ wish I could assign weapons to dwarves who aren't in the miltiary and have them carry them around in case of frogman attacks or the like.</STRONG>

Now that's a great idea. I wish I could do the same for armor too - right now I can't even get military dwarves with points in armor using to put the stuff on.

quote:
Originally posted by Eagleon:
<STRONG>
Due to a ceremonial pre-dig offscreen orgy, no doubt.</STRONG>

Way, way, way too much information. Now please excuse me while I soak my brain in bleach.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:33:00 pm »

I've been having no problems getting my Dwarves equipped just using the [v]->[p]-> (I think , it's the "soldiering/hunting" menu) options. After I set a Dwarf to a particular weapon and armor level, he'll rush over to the armory and suit up.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:55:00 am »

Dwarves used to take a little time to rush over to the piles and snatch crafts they like for themselves and wear them (but it bugged out for now).  When the economy starts, you set up shops for them to buy these objects.  Rather than specific gifts (might be too easy?  dunno), I think having the dwarves rifle through all the goods and taking objects you'd like to trade is more entertaining.  Then when the economy starts, that's a no-no and they have to afford them.  I should get the pile checking back in.  That was fun.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!