Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A bay12 commissions thread?  (Read 972 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A bay12 commissions thread?
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:02:30 am »

I've been thinking lately about some basic artwork/design stuff I need done. Obviously, there are plenty of places on the internet to get commissions, but I tend to prefer to buy them from people I like. Normally I go for artists I know in person, but those are... well, there's a lot less of them since I graduated and left New Zealand.

So my mind immediately jumped to maybe picking up some work here. I know there's definitely people here I'd be willing to purchase stuff from, and I've always got a need for a decent artwork. (I don't always have the money, of course, but luckily, for the moment, I do!)

But rather than just send someone a PM and make an offer, I was wondering if other people might not be interested in something a bit more general? Or least giving it a go. We can discuss what's reasonable for pricing and what approach we should take, and then maybe set up an Artists thread and a Requests thread. Or, heck, we don't even have to limit it to

Commission Offers thread, each artist willing to do commissions could put some examples of their work and give an idea of their prices. (one post per person, and no posts by people not offering to do commissions). The Commission Request thread would be for basically everything else, primarily people saying what they want and making open offers.

Would anyone else be interested in anything like this? Maybe have some other ideas? Details I'd need to include in OPs?

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
Re: A bay12 commissions thread?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:16:20 am »

I guess I would be interested in this.
Not really interested in the money (although I would take it) but rather in the challenge.

I'm generally open for everything, but don't really like too much interference in the creative process.

Regarding a Commission-Thread - wouldn't it just quickly go under in all the artists advertising their works?
Afaik most of the artists here are also on DeviantArt and other platforms.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:32:35 am »

Well... yes, that is exactly the point. It's a thread for people to say "this is me and what I do", for easy reference from those who want to tap someone for a commission or double check the artists style fits what they want. Heck, it can even include links to DeviantArt (does that have a commission infrastructure? Might actually make this easier if so)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:09 am »

DeviantArt does have a commission infrastructure, but I've never used it personally. I've still got a long ways to go before I'm as good as some of the people out there. With that said I wouldn't mind doing the odd commission. Probably not for money though (though I would take it).

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:59:45 am »

And for legal reasons I'd have to give it to you or the commission wouldn't be worth much to me. :P Even if it were only a penny, the laws covering redistribution change mightily. And while I'll probably never make a dime off the docs I want to put them in, I like to stay on the right side of the law.

Edit:
If I get two more people interested, I'll go ahead and set up the threads, I think.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:35:34 am by GlyphGryph »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:35:20 am »

Writer, poet, guitarist, pianist, vocalist, lyricist, and random pixel-art guy here.

I'm actually about to post a thread here in Creative to network with folks interested in Scifi/fantasy MUDs/RP/stories, since its more constructive to have multiple minds working together and sharing their ideas on a variety of genres and platforms rather than doing it all on your own and stumbling blindly through trial-and-error.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."