Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New modding guide added to DFwiki  (Read 2141 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
New modding guide added to DFwiki
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »

Just as a heads up, I recently wrote a fairly extensive DF modding guide currently for the DF wiki. I'd like some feedback on it if possible so I can fix it up a bit, in particular adding more wikilinks as it's fairly sparse at the moment. I also added a few examples, such as one that allows you to play a big, spider-like monster in adventurer mode without having a civ present (biting children's heads off is fun).

You can find it here: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Modding

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: New modding guide added to DFwiki
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:32:00 pm »

Nice,  I didn't know how to make a race playable without giving it a civ.  Looks like it will be a good source for new people.

Might want to add that when modding creatures, that if you rename a creature ini file and generate another world it will create a duplicate creature error.  When you rename the file you have to delete the same file in data/objects as well.

It auto generates those files and doesn't delete them if they no longer exist in the raws.  And since it actually runs off of those files and not the raws, you end up with a duplicate or a creature you thought you deleted still existing next worldgen.

P.S. I'd add it myself but wikis scare me heh...

[ October 11, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

Interesting, I've never had that happen to me but I don't often rename old creature defs. I'll add it.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »

Not bad!  I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, but didn't have the gumption to go ahead with it.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »

I was wondering why a creature wasn't showing up (it was just extremely rare and I wasn't patient enough) so I changed the file name to something more closely resembling the vanilla naming convention.  Immediately came up with the playable Cave crocs in adventure mode that usually (for me anyway) indicates a duplicate creature.

Took me a whole two hours to get my courage up to post about it and discovered the data/objects folder while waiting for a response.  Fixed the problem just in time to waste someones time...heh.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

Thanks!  We've needed this for a while.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 12:02:00 am »

I would like to give thanks to the person/people who have created the tileset modding page at http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Tilesets! It gets a bit jargony in the middle, but the tile key at the end is a great reference tool!

Would like to see some of the jargon explained more, and also some recommended programs to edit tilesets in (the one I used didn't seem to grab the transparent-magenta properly).

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 03:45:00 am »

Indeed, the modding guide looks great, Teldin. Now I might give it a go myself.

Re: Tilesets, an object tileset modding tutorial would be helpful, too. I suspect such things will be put off 'til the next version, though.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:17:00 am »

Anyone thought about making a unit modding program that just creates the relevant text from selections you press (for cut'n'copying)?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 08:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Faces of Mu:
<STRONG>Anyone thought about making a unit modding program that just creates the relevant text from selections you press (for cut'n'copying)?</STRONG>

Oh, actually that's an excellent idea. I can actually pop out a program like that in visual basic pretty quickly. Maybe I'll do that over the weekend, if anyone's interested in it. I'd have to rewrite it for the new version more than likely, though, or at least tweak it.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 09:32:00 am »

The guide is definitely great! IT really address several issues that people might have when modding any files. However I noted that you said:
quote:
 As a 'nuisance' race they may appear and try to steal stuff from you in fortress mode, but I have yet to see that actually happen. The nuisance token also makes them not appear as regular civilizations, which is the entire point. Arachnids are solitary and do not form civilizations.

The nuisance tag actually makes them like kobolds, and given that you also gave them mountain settlements you would find them in caves on the mountain. With SEVERAL of them in a cave.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 09:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Teldin:
<STRONG>Just as a heads up, I recently wrote a fairly extensive DF modding guide currently for the DF wiki. I'd like some feedback on it if possible so I can fix it up a bit, in particular adding more wikilinks as it's fairly sparse at the moment. I also added a few examples, such as one that allows you to play a big, spider-like monster in adventurer mode without having a civ present (biting children's heads off is fun).

You can find it here: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Modding</STRONG>

I'd've called that race the Ilwrath. All hail Dogar and Kazon!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
I'd've called that race the Ilwrath. All hail Dogar and Kazon!

Haha, they should sneak up on you and shoot fire. That would be a great creature set. Slaves to the Ur-Quan II?

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

A lot of the more-generic Ilwrath lines would be great additions to /data/speech/threat.txt.  The ones about squeezing people into pus and gobs of gopher guts and stuff.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

I'd've called that race the Ilwrath. All hail Dogar and Kazon!</STRONG>

Dwe, the Dill-rats, warship you!

Pages: [1] 2