Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hemp and all its uses  (Read 3227 times)

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
Hemp and all its uses
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:45:29 am »

An all season outdoor crop. Can be renamed to be more dwarfy. Kemp maybe?

Uses.
-Cooking. ( Because we can :D)
-Brewing,(All other plants can be brewed. So why not?
-Clothing industry(Anything that cotton could make, Hemp can make(And makes it better too)
-Furnace fuel( Use it like wood)
-Building material ( See above^)
-Optional(Make a smoke house type thing, Similar effects to a waterfall (As in the happy thought bonus for being in the mist/smoke
-The seeds could be pressed to make things such as oil, or Medical extracts and such.(Maybe used like soap to treat infections?)
-Therapeutic use for insane dwarfs?< Preventing/Suppressing melancholy and all those other FUN things.

I'm sure most of you won't take this seriously. But If only everyone would see the actual benefits to this stuff we might have a better world.

Suggestions?.. Positive comments please, Everything I said above is all real world valid information

If you don't think anything I said it true. read this book.(Its free)

http://www.jackherer.com/thebook/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:35:47 pm by Caprealis »
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Hemp/ Marijuana And all its uses.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:06:16 pm »

I suggest you drop the "marijuana" from the title.

We've had some very long-running argument threads on the topics of "drugs" or "high dwarves".  Hemp in and of itself as a historically used material for a wide variety of uses is not as heavily suggested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would say, however, that many of the historic uses of hemp are already performed by pig tails and rope reed.  (You can brew them, make them into cloth, make them into paper, etc.)

Tents (made from canvas or other fabrics) have been suggested before, especially for elves. 

The rest just brings you back down to the high dwarves arguments.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hemp/ Marijuana And all its uses.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »

Makes sense, Good call sir.
Ill go fix that.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Hemp and all its uses
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »

I'm not exactly an expert on the subject, but I remember hemp having an awful lot of uses in Puzzle Pirates... Anyway, a trip to everyone's favorite non-DF wiki says...

The only thing I'd otherwise think to add is that hemp oil was used as a paint base.  It can also be used as a cooking oil and has a high omega 6 and 3 fatty acid content.  It should be useful for anything other vegetable oils are used for.

Other notable things are that hemp is basically a weed, and as such grows well in dry areas, grows extremely fast, and is pest-resistant. 

So I'd say that if we ever get paint, a hemp-oil base for that paint is reasonable.  It is also a reasonable cloth type or for paper making, so it would otherwise be basically the same as a rope reed.

The types of hemp used for fibers and the types of hemp that are marijuana are two different types of plant, however, (they seem to either have been bred for their fibers or for getting people high, so it's a one-or-the-other deal), so the "get high" hemp, if we ever have those high dwarves thing come around would more realistically be a different type of hemp. 

All-in-all, there isn't much now to recommend adding hemp over just using pig tails and rope-reeds given what the game can do with them, however, so I think it would be better to wait until Improved Farming comes out, and then add it in as an alternative type of crop. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 01:38:40 pm »

If you have time sir, I suggest reading that book I posted. There is a lot of good insight on what hemp has done for the world.

And I agree with you on that for the paint thing. It would be good for anything oil related that comes into DF

It was the leftover resin(resign?)/ the sic(Flower) or what ever. On the top of the hemp plant that yielded the high producing effects.
Up until this century I think it was never smoked. But we did use the hemp for the massive variety of medical uses it did bring.
Which I think should be put in to DF more then the basic uses.

And due to the advances in farming and such. The actual marijuana plant came in to the world.

People/Doctors have been using the extracts for years to treat almost everything.

And to the puzzle pirate thing, Hemp in the 1500-1800(And in the pirating throughout the keys and all over the world.) was used by the British, French, Russians,(All heavy naval requiring nations) Used hemp for all their sails and ropes and such. So everyone grew it And used it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 01:41:01 pm »

proven uses: soap, ropes[better than anything else, food, happyness, fuel, fuel and FUEL

it was used so much that in WWII they had a poster saying
"GROW HEMP FOR WAR"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:07:02 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »

India has a vast history of smoking and eating hashish (bhang, in that case). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashish

Anyway, hemp has done that for our world. It doesn't necessarily have to have done that in a world raining unholy filth (!) and filled with night trolls.

Besides, aside from having an all-in-one plant, I rather prefer having to do multiple crops. I also don't know what dwarves would do with hemp. I've never used a rope, because I make chains. I never make cloth, because I usually import it. Oil comes from nuts and tallow, which is really personal preference. And on and on.

However, I would like a fuel crop that grows in farm [p]lots in one season.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:45 am »

Aside from the "all-in-one plant is bad for gameplay" thing, there's no reason that hemp shouldn't be able to be used for everything it can IRL (except maybe its...recreational purposes). Of course, unles we decide that the wet-growing rope reed is the same as the real world's dry-tolerant hemp, hemp doesn't exist in DF, so the point is moot.
I don't think there's anything special about hemp being used for fuel IRL. Plants in general should be fuel-able, although moister plants/fungi (such as plump helmets, berries, etc) would be worse fuel sources that drier ones (rat weed, longland grass?, quarry burshes, etc).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.