Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwaves hanging out at jail?  (Read 736 times)

kaleb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwaves hanging out at jail?
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:30:17 pm »

I have a fort of 86 dwarfs which is my highest since I started playing a month ago. I have just set up my first jail, with 6 metal restraints, I designated the 3x3 area around each restraint to be used for justice, set up a captain of the guard with his office in the jail, which is a pretty big room.

For some reason I have about 6-7 dwarves that are hanging around one of the restraints, there isn't anything up in the justice screen and no-one has been jailed for anything. I think the chains are silver, but I dont think they would just stand around and admire the chain.

Anyone got any ideas?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Dwaves hanging out at jail?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:05:20 pm »

I dunno.  In my current fort I've noticed that some of my dwarves prefer to use my lavish jails to eat instead of my splendid dining room.  Considering that they're right next to each other, I have no idea why they choose one over the other.

They aren't attending a party there, are they?  Try checking the dwarves and see what job(s) they have.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:33:22 pm »

Dwarves do very strange things and will travel to strange places for no real reason.  My last two sieges I lost a dwarf at each one because they insisted on visiting nature outside the fortress during the siege ignoring the burrow and running away from my fortress when spotting the enemy and each was listed as 'no job'.   By the time I discovered them switching them into military with the move order was too late.  One was a mother who took her baby with her.   

I wish I could assign a job to a specific dwarf citizen... it could save those suicidal dwarves. 

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »

Check the chain, if its a room, but not used by justice, dwarves will hang out by it.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.