Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

LP Modded MOO3 again: The stalemate of Thok

(1/18) > >>

MonkeyHead:
So, I am on a hiatus away from DF. I have had a bit of a void in terms of gaming, as some of you might have noticed from one of my threads around here somewhere... GalCiv2 didnt scratch that itch, and I find myself guiltily returning to an old mistress: MOO3. Yes, the game as intended by the devs is a dog. Worse than that even. Unplayable. But a small core of MOO fans, myself included, took matters into our own hands and ripped it apart and modded it to within an inch of its life and made it good.

A number of months ago I started up a LP of this game which generated a small but keen following. Threads for this LP can be found here and here. Dissapointingly this LP died when IT support at work wiped XP from my lappy and replaced it with Win7, just as contact was made with the games equivalent of HFS. I intend to spend this evening getting a custom mod of MOO3 running on this machine, and to get the early turns of an LP up over the rest of the weekend.

Interested? Please post in this thread then. Feel free to take naming rights for ships, systems, fleets, anything that takes your fancy. Offer suggestions, reccomendations, advice, questions, plans, or simply heckle.

Person:
I've never seen this played before, so I'm looking over the old threads. I'm interested based on what on saw though.

RulerOfNothing:
Posting to watch.

Neonivek:
I almost kinda want to see a unmodded letsplay of MOO3 with references to 1 and 2 so I can understand what is so terrible about it.

Also no I am not asking anyone to make a letsplay or to tell me whats so terrible about it.

MonkeyHead:
Ok, so here goes...

It is the year 2500 AD.

Should our race survive over the coming millennia, then this will be considered the start of a new age for mankind. Two years ago a remarkable breakthrough by a group of Physicists working in Japan allowed for the construction of our first FTL propulsions, creatively named as "warp drive". Working on the assumption that space-time can be distorted, these engines were our first gateway to the stars. Things happened quickly after that. Several military and private bodies drew up plans, patents and petitions to use these engines in a variety of craft. Petty infighting and squabbling between nations threatened to ruin what was an opportunity to become more than we could possibly imagine. Then the UN stepped in. Their reasoning was clear - we were no longer confined to one world which we would be destined to fight over. Our world was now one of millions of many open to us, and only by being a unified world could we expect to first survive and then thrive in a wider cosmos. The EU and USA led the way towards a global government, and other nations followed. A unified global democracy was established, led by an elected president. Led by me - the first President of the Terran Federation. My first acts were to reorganize the global economy to support our push into the stars, and to commission a number of scout craft to explore our neighbouring stars. Plans for system defence ships and orbital weapon platforms are also in place should we need them.

The future is unknown and uncertain. Technological development continues rapidly. Our population grows as rapidly as ever. What rewards and trials await us as we venture into the galaxy can only be guessed at. Let this journal be a lesson to whosoever so finds it - be it a story of triumph or a warning to those who might follow.

Spoiler: OOC comments... (click to show/hide)So, this game of MOO3 will be played after being heavily modded. The older threads linked in the OP outline the mods if you are that interested. Basically the game mechanics have been made to work as intended, and races and technology have been totally rebalanced and a whole load of personal additions, touches and tweaks have been made. We find ourselves in a procedurally generated galaxy, and I intend to play in my usual style of slightly paranoid isolonationist humans, unless circumstances dictate. However, I am very willing to follow any number of advice/suggestions/demands from you guys. Some of the main game mechanics are detailed in the threads linked in the OP, but feel free to ask for explanations of any features.
Spoiler: Race Set-up (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Galaxy Set-up (click to show/hide)
Feel free to request ownership/naming rights over anything. I will try my best to accomodate any and all suggestions, and record pretty much anything in a rolling hall of fame.

Update 1 will be up later. Turns are being played right now. This will probably get a bit heavy on screen shots, some of which might be quite large. Sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version