Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapping  (Read 799 times)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trapping
« on: August 17, 2006, 06:51:00 pm »

How does trapping things work? I havn't tried it yet, so what do you need? and do you need differnt kinds of traps for bigger creatures? and how do you train captured animals? or is it tame them? is there a difference to training and tameing? and lastly can all, or only some anamals that can be traped and tamed\trained? (I kind of like the idea of having a war dragon... probly hard to get if possible... but would be very fun to see those pathetic lizardmen deal with that when they come out the well!)

Think that about covers it. Thanks in advance (if you help out anyways, if you don't no dwarf cookies made from wine for you!    :p  )

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trapping
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:03:00 pm »

That's an area of the game I'm trying to figure out myself. I told the butcher to trap a live animal, and now I see that the trap has a little blinking red thing in it, probably a firefly or something. (I was hoping for one of the mules...not quite sure how to butcher them yet.)

So, now I have a caged firefly - yay, I guess, except I have no idea what it's good for or how to interact with it.

EDIT: Oh my bad it's a butterfly.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »

hmm... any reason someone would want to trap a firefly? (well a primitive light maybe) but still are the traps dwarfs make that sensitive? thats amazing!   :D  I assume that you can release things you don't want and use the same trap over again? oh and do they need some kind of bait to work?

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:05:00 pm »

There are commands for taming captured animals in the kennel interface.  And I believe from the help files you can put cages with animals in them in a zoo for the dwarves to come look at.

I wonder if I can capture and tame that alligator?  A trained attack alligator could be useful to have around and hopefully it would stop him from killing my dwarves and dogs.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 08:25:00 pm »

The animal traps are used mainly for vermin control. If you feel like wasting time making dwarves happy, you can capture and tame small animals like rats and then sell/make them available to dwarves.

The only way to trap bigger animals right now is a cage trap and thus you're unlikely to capture outside animals since these traps are exclusive to the inside of the fortress. Hope we'll get basic covered pit traps for the bigger ones in the future. Right now I think it could be quite profitable as you can sell cages with animals inside, although how much would an antman or lizardman cost I don't know (possible that they won't want them either). You can also use those cages with animals to make zoos. Although don't use assign when dealing with untamed animals or they'll most likely fight as soon as they're out of the cage. Rather place cages with animals already inside.

You can also use the fishery to capture small water creatures like turtles and put them in ponds (channels set to be ponds using q) and those basicly work like zoos.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 09:20:00 pm »

I can't find any way to get this stupid butterfly out of this cage. Even a rat would've been better...

And what about the other kind of traps? I've been having a lot of trouble with snakemen recently and would like to booby-trap the farming room if possible, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I really wish some of you people who actually have a clue about the more advanced stuff would update the wiki, I keep going there for help but it seems a little sparse at the moment.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 09:25:00 pm »

Placing traps requires mechanisms, first off. Then it's either some stone lying around (for a stonefall trap) or some kind of weapons for a weapon trap.

Then you just go into the traps/levers menu in the build screen, select the type and place it.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Virtz:
<STRONG>The animal traps are used mainly for vermin control. If you feel like wasting time making dwarves happy, you can capture and tame small animals like rats and then sell/make them available to dwarves.

The only way to trap bigger animals right now is a cage trap and thus you're unlikely to capture outside animals since these traps are exclusive to the inside of the fortress. Hope we'll get basic covered pit traps for the bigger ones in the future. </STRONG>

So what your saying is that it is pretty much impossiable to trap any outside animals any bigger than a fox? or even smaller?

:(

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 03:02:00 am »

I just got an awsome idea. How about, i make a room somewhere in my fort, and every now and then, i'll bring in two of the animals ive caged, and set them in there. Then i'll lock the door and the dwarves can watch them fight, from previously built tables and chairs positioned behind windows of course.   :cool:
Is that even possible? It'd be perty neat. But yea, i along with some other people it seems have no idea how to trap animals for food. Perhaps one of the more experienced players would be willing to write a short tutorial detailing the process.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 03:56:00 pm »

You can set up an animal arena -- but you'd need animals from different parts of the map.  Wilderness animals don't fight each other (occasional predatory behavior is a bloat), but I think a bear fights a frogman right now, for instance.  You could get them in cages in a room, hook the cages up with mechanisms to one lever, and then pull it to start the fight.  The dwarves wouldn't watch though.  They'd probably be scared of the survivor.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:16:00 pm »

Are you serious?

Oh, I have so got to try that...but I guess I would have to lure an animal inside the fortress first, right?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 02:46:00 am »

Yeah, it would be pretty tricky.  However, you could use something like a frogman and one of your own tame animals.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!