Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress on 9gag . . . kinda.  (Read 18779 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress on 9gag . . . kinda.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 06:23:27 pm »

I used to visit Memebase/I can has cheezburger when it was funnier. Then it simply became offensive and tasteless. Then 9gag appears out of nowhere, the same kind of whipped cream dollop on top of the same kind of s**t.

Both are lame, is what I mean.

Also, the person who posted that should've included the DF part, because it's like someone took out the whole point of the joke. Kind of like asking someone why the chicken crossed the road, and then suddenly changed the topic when someone said why.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:27:06 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 09:44:25 pm »

Removed the df part? yup thats 9gag. removing all the nice things from the nice things.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »

The original version didn't have it, though it's not funny without the DF part.
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 12:32:22 am »

That and the whole watermarking stuff that isn't theirs thingy.
And they watermark everything, often getting rid of the original watermark.
Quote from: 9GAG Rules
6. Respect originality and creativity.

Look for the original source. Often, a blog will reference another blog, which references another, and so on with everyone displaying ads along the way. Dig through those references and post a link to the creator, who actually deserves the traffic.

I reckon I'll take your word over 9gag's which makes the statement rather humorous.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 12:48:52 am »

To be fair 9gag is pretty streamlined. I just dislike that you _need_ a facebook account to comment at all.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 01:17:41 am »

I must be getting old, I have never heard of 9gag before....
There is no wrong with you, only rights.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 01:44:18 am »

Oh. Well, I think those pictures ALL over Facebook are really annoying, but most annoying of all are those pictures that say "like/share if you love god/love your mom/hate cancer/remember this show/game/think accident victims are as beautiful as normal people/blahblahblah, ignore if you don't".

Probably the worst thing I've seen is a picture that said "12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/21/22/23/24/25/26/27+" (bolded for ::) ) and captioned "like/share if you see your age". Seriously? That's the age of virtually everyone that uses Facebook. If you're 11 or younger, what are you doing with a Facebook account? Grumble grumble stupid kids grumble

Wow, I sure complain a lot.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 01:56:10 am »

I reckon I'll take your word over 9gag's which makes the statement rather humorous.

I know they've removed watermarks before, and they add their own to a decent amount of things. They might still list the source, but that's still a little scummy in my book.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 03:12:05 am »

The thing I dislike most about ninegag is that they simply steal a joke without giving any credit to the author, especially with comics! It's comics like these, online comics and even newspaper comics like Dilbert or Calvin and Hobbes!

It's the same with silly or great images from the web. The original watermark or signature gets removed, the filename changed and one can't find the artist's gallery.

And the top comments (and top replies to top comments, the newest trend) just make me want to feed them all to carp!

/Mindless rage mode - off
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:54:38 am by Muffindog »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 03:48:29 am »

9gag makes me gag.

It's where has-memes go to die.

I half expect all my non-memey friends to start shouting GIRUGAMESH at me any minute...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 04:48:41 am »

Dwarf Fortress is about 6 years old now, so yeah, that it is showing up on 9gag now sounds about right.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 05:04:39 am »

Ugh, good old 9Gag, stealing old memes and passing them off as their own.

And that typo "Causal gaming" irritates the fuck out of me.

Yeah, I'm a channer from way back, and memebase/cheezburger to an extent too.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 05:07:58 am »

I used to go on memebase, although I kind of stopped since all my friends seemed to think it would be hilarious to overuse meme "jokes" in real life.

God I hate 9gag.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 05:09:45 am »

I'm not really sure what 9gag exactly is, I mean there's a bunch of rage comic characters used on what seems to be the poster's opinion, and is passed off as a joke.

Those very long lists about the best things of life are very guilty of that.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 05:17:25 am »

It's basically "HURR DURR MEMES ARE COOL LOL, BECUZ I CAN SAY WUT I LIKE IN COMIC FORM WITH NO SKILL".

The point of rage comics is to provoke actual laughter, emotion, or anything like that. The other point is that it's supposed to be a compendium of emotion/characters that can be used by anyone.

Using them incorrectly, or seeing shitty apps on facebook "Whcih Memme are u? U are a 'choser!'" (Challenge Accepted) infuriates me.

I date back far enough on the ol' chan that I remember the rise of the rage comics. I remember the original one that sparked it all, the "Le fuu-".
Pages: 1 [2] 3