Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.10 Released  (Read 55043 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.10 Released
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 06:23:15 pm »

Have you worked out a terminal velocity for mine carts?  I have been testing downhill ramps for delivering stone to masonry shops and despite three track stops in a row the cart keeps right on going after just eight Z levels.

Excuse the ascii art but:

[start] > > > > > > > > [ high ] [ high ] [ highest ] == cart.

There should be some maximum speed for mine carts, given friction, etc. and two high friction stops in a row before a highest shouldn't let a cart go by ever, IMHO.

That said, Siggun my master stonecrafter did have some *fun* riding the cart down (and into the wall across from the stop).
you might need to add a =| track to stop the cart from rolling off into a wall.

[ high ] and [ highest ] are track stops constructed with those strengths specified at the end of the track.  That's precisely why I think there's a momentum problem (and/or a resistance problem with constructed track stops).
was your dwarf riding in the cart or guide/push it? chances are those stops are there only for dwarf control. really 8 z levels that a little extreme.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 07:18:52 pm »

Yay!  When I get home, I'll have to see whether the bugged milk-buckets-inside-barrels become usable after transferring to .10, or whether I'll have to atom-smash them.

Looks good so far.  My cheese maker pulled one of the buckets out of the barrel that it had been wedged into, and made a cheese.  The barrel, now empty, was dragged off by another dwarf.  I'll need to start milking again to test the other half.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31:20 pm »

Yay!  When I get home, I'll have to see whether the bugged milk-buckets-inside-barrels become usable after transferring to .10, or whether I'll have to atom-smash them.

Looks good so far.  My cheese maker pulled one of the buckets out of the barrel that it had been wedged into, and made a cheese.  The barrel, now empty, was dragged off by another dwarf.  I'll need to start milking again to test the other half.

You make cheese?

maluraq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 07:59:37 pm »

Have you worked out a terminal velocity for mine carts?  I have been testing downhill ramps for delivering stone to masonry shops and despite three track stops in a row the cart keeps right on going after just eight Z levels.

Excuse the ascii art but:

[start] > > > > > > > > [ high ] [ high ] [ highest ] == cart.

There should be some maximum speed for mine carts, given friction, etc. and two high friction stops in a row before a highest shouldn't let a cart go by ever, IMHO.

That said, Siggun my master stonecrafter did have some *fun* riding the cart down (and into the wall across from the stop).
you might need to add a =| track to stop the cart from rolling off into a wall.

[ high ] and [ highest ] are track stops constructed with those strengths specified at the end of the track.  That's precisely why I think there's a momentum problem (and/or a resistance problem with constructed track stops).
was your dwarf riding in the cart or guide/push it? chances are those stops are there only for dwarf control. really 8 z levels that a little extreme.

Riding and pushing make no difference to whether the cart stops, and the track stops ought to stop the cart either way based on their name and purpose.  Also 8 Z levels isn't extreme at all; I intend to deliver ore right to my magma smelters with one-way cart drops.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 08:47:09 pm »

Humans brought me a water buffalo bull, which I bought and slaughtered.  I was able to spin the hair into thread, but I cannot make a totem, or horn/hoof crafts, or bone bolts.  The skull, hooves, and bones are just sitting in the butcher shop (there is no refuse stockpile), and the jobs that I request in the craftdwarf shop get cancelled.

Now, there are [16] yak cow bones, [16] more yak cow bones, [2] yak cow horns, [20] water buffalo bull bone, [2] water buffalo bull horns, a water buffalo bull skull, [4] water buffalo bull hooves, [14] horse bone, a horse skull, and [4] horse hooves, according to my stocks -> body parts list.  Any time I request a totem, horn craft, or bone bolt job, it gets cancelled.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:07:34 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 02:01:14 am »

Humans brought me a water buffalo bull, which I bought and slaughtered.  I was able to spin the hair into thread, but I cannot make a totem, or horn/hoof crafts, or bone bolts.  The skull, hooves, and bones are just sitting in the butcher shop (there is no refuse stockpile), and the jobs that I request in the craftdwarf shop get cancelled.

Now, there are [16] yak cow bones, [16] more yak cow bones, [2] yak cow horns, [20] water buffalo bull bone, [2] water buffalo bull horns, a water buffalo bull skull, [4] water buffalo bull hooves, [14] horse bone, a horse skull, and [4] horse hooves, according to my stocks -> body parts list.  Any time I request a totem, horn craft, or bone bolt job, it gets cancelled.

Have you set any stockpiles to give to the craftdwarf shop? If you do that, they won't take materials from any other sources (in my experience).

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 03:54:47 am »

I may be being thick here, but was the category "small rock" present in the stocks screen before the new release? I was just trying out the resized windows (which are great) and I noticed it at the bottom of the screen. I have 0 of them, whatever they are, so my guess is that they weren't in previous versions (it's a save from .09)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 05:16:13 am »

You make cheese?
Perhaps greycat makes cheese to fire from minecart shotguns at elf traders? Could be the most hilarious/humiliating death ever, killed by a spinning +goat's milk cheese+
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 07:08:34 am »

I may be being thick here, but was the category "small rock" present in the stocks screen before the new release? I was just trying out the resized windows (which are great) and I noticed it at the bottom of the screen. I have 0 of them, whatever they are, so my guess is that they weren't in previous versions (it's a save from .09)
Probably the small rocks you can pick up in adventurer mode for throwing and knapping. For the most part, they wouldn't show up in Fortress mode, unless you happen to get an adventurer migrating with them or embark on the corpse of an adventurer with them in their backpack.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 07:26:46 am »

Have you set any stockpiles to give to the craftdwarf shop? If you do that, they won't take materials from any other sources (in my experience).

Ah... that may be it.  Thanks.  :-[

maby652

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 08:58:18 am »

First and foremost, thank you Toady for some AWESOMENESS! It gives meaning to my puzzle obsession with carts ( I just can't stop! )

But, with the frantic releases and major improvements, I can't help but think you've been running pretty hard. If you need to take a break, I for one would be completely OK. I definitely think you deserve a break, and a great pat on the back. You have done a dwarf's-load of work, no doubt!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 09:41:19 am »

http://youtu.be/KmH2Mpd6et4?hd=1&t=17s

Interesting, but I don't think it's intended as such? Well, the lack of 4 rows on the world view at least.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:47:49 am by Vherid »

Jon-Ace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »

I too am having issues with carts a-crashin'.

Send a cart down 8z levels only for it to pass right through not one, not two, but THREE highest "friction" stops and derail on the turn afterwards doesn't sound intended. Not to mention this particular route isn't being "painted" in the hauling menu and I've triple-checked the ramps and track and there are no breaks or "unusable" ramps.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 08:50:39 pm »

So erm, the linux version has what appears to be the SDL source code in it, is this intentional to allow open development of the SDL version?  Ah, been in for a while, doh.

Thanks for the release Toady, am going to small donate now, as promised.  :)

(*) updated some screens for higher dimensions (if you enlarge in windowed mode for instance)

I have been wanting this, for worldgen and maps, since day 1 of playing the game.

Thank you, Toady.

This is something that I've never really considered, but now it's in it looks wonderful.  Much easier to get a feel for the world geography.  Great addition.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:08:56 pm by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 07:46:33 am »

"Small rock" category is old, it was surely present in v.31.xx.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5