Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarven Boot Camp  (Read 11072 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Boot Camp
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2012, 01:59:34 pm »

A -160 penalty seems a bit steep to recover from, all at once. If they also had their favorite drink, their favorite food afterward, a 'personal palace' with their favorite junk, then maybe. Seems like a ton of work when you can just pit kittens over the dining room, though.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2012, 02:10:31 pm »

Does the kitten-pitting even work? What thought do they get from it?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2012, 03:14:35 pm »

Witnessing death.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2012, 06:59:59 pm »

Are we sure that tragedies are what cause the "doesn't care" attribute?  I thought there was some research that showed they could get it just through combat without getting any worse negative thought than the occasional minor injury.  That's the whole point behind the puppy waterfall - it lets them witness death over and over again without exposing them to anything tragic enough to make them go insane.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 07:27:05 pm »

Minor injuries and pretty much anything involving death are tragedies.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2012, 09:36:46 pm »

Recent research into the effect of dropping things (*ahem* Cats, dwarves) onto other things (cats,dwarves) has discovered that you can hurt a large animal (dwarves), by dropping something far smaller on them (kittens), from a sufficient height. Can this be utilized in conjunction with the puppyfall to make more dwarves more unhappy faster?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sumutherguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2012, 11:00:06 pm »

I just want to say that I am exceedingly glad none of us are heads of actual nation-states.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:52 pm »

I just want to say that I am exceedingly glad none of us are heads of actual nation-states.

Why's that?  Being willing to do what needs to be done beats the hell out of pandering to the lowest common denominator, playing party politics and never accomplishing anything, right?  It's just that what needs to be done in virtual fortress management is (usually) very different from what would need to be done in, say, a fully real economic crisis.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:03 pm »

Out of sheer spite I will now go into politics. However, I will keep my playing of this game quiet, as for some reason, killing kittens to prevent the death of a fort by far more violent means, is frowned upon by some closed-minded if eligible voters.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 07:01:09 am »

Recent research into the effect of dropping things (*ahem* Cats, dwarves) onto other things (cats,dwarves) has discovered that you can hurt a large animal (dwarves), by dropping something far smaller on them (kittens), from a sufficient height. Can this be utilized in conjunction with the puppyfall to make more dwarves more unhappy faster?

It'll certainly get your coffinmakers trained up, let's put it that way.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]