Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A bug? Infinite miners.  (Read 18423 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A bug? Infinite miners.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 07:21:46 pm »

I guess the solution is to assign the fish cleaners each to a single job that levels up quickly, and work them until their professions change.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 07:25:46 pm »

I guess the solution is to assign the fish cleaners each to a single job that levels up quickly, and work them until their professions change.
... Is it wrong that my first thought to solve this problem was not this, but instead involved large pits of incredibly violent monkeys?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 07:34:35 pm »

... Is it wrong that my first thought to solve this problem was not this, but instead involved large pits of incredibly violent monkeys?

My first thought (totally not dwarfy): Set some of them to fishing.
My second thought (much dwarfier): Set the fish on them. Specifically, the war carp and sturgeon.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:02 pm »

Also, mine everything or just train them into something else,
Close, but no cigar. The correct answer is to get them to Legendary Miner status, and then make them your militia.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 11:09:13 pm »

I think Toady talked about this in a recent DF talk or FotF post, but I can't find it right now. Generally, migrants are weighted towards having skills that your fortress lacks. However, if an overwhelming majority of your fortress has the same profession, the game makes the assumption that you have that many of one job for a reason and sends you more of them to fuel whatever insane project it is that you have in progress.
Wouldn't that lead to a shitty Catch-22 situation? Oh, you have a quorum of Firs Cleaners. Better send you more Fish Cleaners. What's that, you don't need Fish Cleaners? Then why do you have so many Fish Cleaners? What? It's my fault? Ok, I'll try to s- too late, here come the Fish Cleaners.
This is when you start burrowing the excess dwarves under the nearest atom smasher.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:17 pm »

I think Toady talked about this in a recent DF talk or FotF post, but I can't find it right now. Generally, migrants are weighted towards having skills that your fortress lacks. However, if an overwhelming majority of your fortress has the same profession, the game makes the assumption that you have that many of one job for a reason and sends you more of them to fuel whatever insane project it is that you have in progress.
Wouldn't that lead to a shitty Catch-22 situation? Oh, you have a quorum of Firs Cleaners. Better send you more Fish Cleaners. What's that, you don't need Fish Cleaners? Then why do you have so many Fish Cleaners? What? It's my fault? Ok, I'll try to s- too late, here come the Fish Cleaners.

This is when you start burrowing the excess dwarves under the nearest atom smasher.

Urist McTooTrusting: Right here?  Under the drawbridge?
Overlord: Yep. Hold still.  WAIT!
Urist: What?
Overlord: Drop your socks over here, they're nice, and I'd hate to deprive someone of nice silk socks.
Urist: ... Okay, done, what no-
*Thud*
Melbil McNotSuspiciousEnough: What was that noise?
Overlord: Go stand under the drawbridge, I need you to check something out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 09:43:45 am »

I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.
sigged
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 10:04:43 am »

Hmm, does this work with military dwarves?

If I make all my embark dwarves hammerdwarves, will I end up with a wave of useless hammerdwarves?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 11:36:29 am »

Do professions that involve tools still come with their own tools?  My impression is not, but I have mine arrive with jobs turned off so that may be the cause.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 11:37:40 am »

Only time I've seen hunters turn up with no crossbows is when I had labors turned off.  I never get woodcutters or miners to know about them.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 12:00:47 pm »

Maybe there's gold doubloons buried underneath the mountain and your miners are pirates in disguise?

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »

I would imagine this is the point......

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 05:21:43 pm »

On my next embark, I give everyone at least one point in each mining and masonry. I'm going to build sooooo much.

Edit: On second thought, masons don't bring any equipment. What skills should I choose for maximum equipment for my immigrants?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:26:05 pm by Besserwisser »
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 05:28:54 pm »

Hunting, as then you'll get a quiver, crossbow, and some bolts.

I haven't noticed any pump operator immigrants in my current fort, which has 80% of the population up to master or better in pump operating. Weird.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 07:28:04 pm »

I haven't noticed any pump operator immigrants in my current fort, which has 80% of the population up to master or better in pump operating. Weird.
Maybe toady realized there aren't many people who want a migration wave of trained pump operators, even fewer people than want a migration wave of train fish cleaners?
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."
Pages: 1 [2] 3