Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A bug? Infinite miners.  (Read 18100 times)

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A bug? Infinite miners.
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:26:07 pm »

I was going to dig out a great fortress in the middle of a mountain, so I went with a  team of miners only. Subsequent migration waves have ONLY had miners, fully equipped with pickaxes. Is this some new feature? Or a bug?

Edit: All waves have been miners, and this is my first embark. I don't mind the extra miners, though. I am doing a massive dig project as others have stated.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:36:24 pm by Rayeneth »

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: A bug? Infinite miners.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:36:51 pm »

Maybe a stroke of luck? Maybe a worldgen glitch? Maybe more miners are better than a few?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »

How many miners spread over how many waves?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

The time has come for terraforming your entire embark.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:49 pm »

I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 02:31:47 pm »

I think Toady talked about this in a recent DF talk or FotF post, but I can't find it right now. Generally, migrants are weighted towards having skills that your fortress lacks. However, if an overwhelming majority of your fortress has the same profession, the game makes the assumption that you have that many of one job for a reason and sends you more of them to fuel whatever insane project it is that you have in progress.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:16:14 pm »

Eh, you better keep digging.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 03:19:20 pm »

I was going to dig out a great fortress in the middle of a mountain, so I went with a  team of miners only. Subsequent migration waves have ONLY had miners, fully equipped with pickaxes. Is this some new feature? Or a bug?

I think it's not the first fortress you have played in this generated world and are seeing the former dwarfs from your abandoned fortresses as migrations. This has happened for me as I started playing the miners guild starting build and failed some fortresses and abandoned others.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

The game is telling you to dig deeper.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »

Oh Armok, send me a wave like that.  I wouldn't have complained at all about that 32-strong migrant blitz if at least 24 of 'em came with picks and skill, even with starvation being a major threat.  This faux fungal forest is taking forever to dig, and I need the wood and pasture land.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 04:26:23 pm »

Okay. So we dig a REALLY big hole. And then we fill it with whatever wacky thing you happen to have in abundance.
Monkeys? Monkeys are funny.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 04:27:58 pm »

I'm filling mine with river, and then tower caps.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 06:09:45 pm »

Digging makes everything better.

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »

Okay. So we dig a REALLY big hole. And then we fill it with whatever wacky thing you happen to have in abundance.
Monkeys? Monkeys are funny.

Sigged. Also, mine everything or just train them into something else, but until then, find a mountain and demolish it.
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 06:47:21 pm »

I think Toady talked about this in a recent DF talk or FotF post, but I can't find it right now. Generally, migrants are weighted towards having skills that your fortress lacks. However, if an overwhelming majority of your fortress has the same profession, the game makes the assumption that you have that many of one job for a reason and sends you more of them to fuel whatever insane project it is that you have in progress.
Wouldn't that lead to a shitty Catch-22 situation? Oh, you have a quorum of Firs Cleaners. Better send you more Fish Cleaners. What's that, you don't need Fish Cleaners? Then why do you have so many Fish Cleaners? What? It's my fault? Ok, I'll try to s- too late, here come the Fish Cleaners.
Pages: [1] 2 3