Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 362

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 634940 times)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1215 on: February 28, 2015, 02:27:30 am »

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I couldn't find much.

When assigning weapons to NPCs, does Dwarf Fortress go by skill group or by specific weapon?
That is to say, if you gave a civ access to pikes and nine types of sword, would their army have be half pikemen or one-tenth pikemen?
Half pikemen. Well, not really. Goblins in vanilla seem to pick their army complectation quite randomly. So, army of your modded entity will only have swordsmen (armed with a random sword from the defined list) and pikemen, but in different proportions in each siege.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 01, 2015, 07:29:20 am »

Hmmm, I tried adding currency, I already had trader as a permitted job, I added broker, diplomat, and mayor, they live near dorf fortresses, there is a freaking tunnel built between one of my angel forts and nearby dorf forts (awesome) but they still refuse to build trade depots... though I did get a kludgey workaround for mooding with them since I found myself after reclaim with a fort full of like 60 angels and my 7 dorfs... tweak makeown'D them, then added preferences and an artifact name with gm-editor, then change their race to 465 (dorfs) and without moving the cursor tab over to the dfhack terminal and force the mood. Works well, got a helm, pair of gauntlets, and a pick so far.

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 03, 2015, 09:43:09 am »

[OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] creatures attack those that lack the [NO_AGING] tag. [NOT_LIVING] is used to denote something that can't be reanimated(nor resurrected?) in vanilla RAWs(and Generated Creatures) primarily, [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] creatures don't factor it in when picking out 'enemies' at all.
Um...ok.

BTW, I've been toying around with these tags and figured out that [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] creatures don't attack [NOT_LIVING], if not provoked. However, every creature who lacks [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] will attack creatures those having it. For no obvious reasons (even if the attacker has [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] and the attacked has [NATURAL]). Seems a little bit weird for me.

And no, members of same species won't attack each other just because of [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE].

UPD:
I have some more questions. Will megabeast appear if it's modded to be a cavern creature? Also, can a megabeast be a spouse converter or it's only available for night creatures?

Cavern Megabeasts should work; just give it one or more of the [SUBTERRANEAN_*] Biome types and set [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:*:*] to range anywhere below 0(0 is the surface layer, 5 is normally the demonic 'underworld' layer).
  Valikdu found [SPOUSE_CONVERTER] Megabeasts too work just fine(they still follow the Megabeast per world pop cap though). The [LAIR::] token common to (Semi-)Megabeasts and Night Creatures appears to be the important part for it to work(the [POWER] token disrupts this because the creature may live in a Civ site instead of a Lair, at which point they also stop spouse-hunting/converting)

I know virtually all vanilla [NOT_LIVING] creatures also have [NO_AGING] so it could be reading either tag in most cases.
The results both I (and I believe Meph) have seen in testing were: Any creature that acquires [NO_AGING] won't be targeted by [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] ones, unless otherwise provoked(there can be loyalty-cascade issues though). I tried to make friendly necromancers and a race of 'natural' necromancer's/'undead' using innate supernatural learning of a custom secret that granted [NO_AGING] but not [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE](so they were fortress playable). Other 'undead', Husks and necromancers ignored them but would assault foreign caravans/invaders.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:10:38 am by Lukander »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 03, 2015, 01:46:26 pm »

[OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] creatures attack those that lack the [NO_AGING] tag. [NOT_LIVING] is used to denote something that can't be reanimated(nor resurrected?) in vanilla RAWs(and Generated Creatures) primarily, [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] creatures don't factor it in when picking out 'enemies' at all.
Um...ok.

BTW, I've been toying around with these tags and figured out that [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] creatures don't attack [NOT_LIVING], if not provoked. However, every creature who lacks [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] will attack creatures those having it. For no obvious reasons (even if the attacker has [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] and the attacked has [NATURAL]). Seems a little bit weird for me.

And no, members of same species won't attack each other just because of [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE].

UPD:
I have some more questions. Will megabeast appear if it's modded to be a cavern creature? Also, can a megabeast be a spouse converter or it's only available for night creatures?

Cavern Megabeasts should work; just give it one or more of the [SUBTERRANEAN_*] Biome types and set [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:*:*] to range anywhere below 0(0 is the surface layer, 5 is normally the demonic 'underworld' layer).
  Valikdu found [SPOUSE_CONVERTER] Megabeasts too work just fine(they still follow the Megabeast per world pop cap though). The [LAIR::] token common to (Semi-)Megabeasts and Night Creatures appears to be the important part for it to work(the [POWER] token disrupts this because the creature may live in a Civ site instead of a Lair, at which point they also stop spouse-hunting/converting)

I know virtually all vanilla [NOT_LIVING] creatures also have [NO_AGING] so it could be reading either tag in most cases.
The results both I (and I believe Meph) have seen in testing were: Any creature that acquires [NO_AGING] won't be targeted by [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] ones, unless otherwise provoked(there can be loyalty-cascade issues though). I tried to make friendly necromancers and a race of 'natural' necromancer's/'undead' using innate supernatural learning of a custom secret that granted [NO_AGING] but not [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE](so they were fortress playable). Other 'undead', Husks and necromancers ignored them but would assault foreign caravans/invaders.
Well, thanks for figuring it all out :)
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:59 am »

Good lord there is weirdness when you do something like have a necromancer adventurer, with a necromancer wife/companion, with rescued civilians, and your wife reanimates a corpse in the middle of them.

Lots of them did what I expected and started punching the corpse, some tried to punch her, some started punching each other, but they ignored me until I got close enough to start killing them for hitting her, and even then lots of them were still friendly to me while attacking someone else on my companion list. What a mess.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 06, 2015, 12:52:43 pm »

Can a creature be civilized if it doesn't have [INTELLIGENT] / [CAN_SPEAK] / [CAN_LEARN]?
DF Combat Reworked

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 08, 2015, 12:10:34 am »

This probably sounds like a dumb question but how do you get your mode to work
Do I modify the original raws and then create a new world and the more show up in the new region's raws or do you make a region and then modify it's raws to see them in game?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 08, 2015, 12:25:19 am »

Modify original raws, make a new world.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 08, 2015, 01:57:33 am »

Ok thank you
Will probably have more questions later this week when I have time to do modding
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 08, 2015, 11:17:27 am »

I'm experimenting with transforming dogs. With these raws:

Code: [Select]
        [CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
POP_RATIO:1
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
POP_RATIO:4
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]

they transform just fine, but if I add brackets around POP_RATIO they don't. What's up with that?
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 08, 2015, 02:34:55 pm »

[FEMALE]
[MALE]

they transform just fine, but if I add brackets around POP_RATIO they don't. What's up with that?
What exactly do you mean under "transforming"?
DF Combat Reworked

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 08, 2015, 02:40:26 pm »

[FEMALE]
[MALE]

I've got an inorganic material set up that boils at room temperature and transforms any male dog it's in contact with into mechanic ones (ie a different creature).
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 08, 2015, 04:01:08 pm »

[FEMALE]
[MALE]

I've got an inorganic material set up that boils at room temperature and transforms any male dog it's in contact with into mechanic ones (ie a different creature).
And they do transform, but once you add these POP_RATIO tags, they don't? Well, that's really strange indeed. Are you completely sure this is the exact reason?

I mean, there can be like a lot of them.
Are you sure the test subjects always get "caught up in the cloud of %material_name%"?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:12:44 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 08, 2015, 07:22:49 pm »

How do you add a breath attack that spreads poison.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 08, 2015, 07:26:40 pm »

Make the emitted material carry a syndrome.

For example, something like this:

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Breath poison]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[CDI:MATERIAL:INORGANIC:POISON:TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:300]

Then create an inorganic called POISON and give it a syndrome that will affect those caught within the breath attack.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 362