Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646020 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1515 on: February 09, 2016, 03:54:46 pm »

1. There is no body part with the category of SKIN. You want BY_CATEGORY:ALL:STONE so that the stone will be over all body parts.

2. Don't give the custom inorganic any ENVIRONMENT tokens.

3. You could also paralyze them to make them immobile. Or reduce their speed significantly. Unfortunately directly adding IMMOBILE doesn't seem to be an option, if the wiki is up-to-date. If it has no biomes or populations, or if it has the DOES_NOT_EXIST tag, it should not appear in world-gen.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1516 on: February 09, 2016, 05:06:56 pm »

1. There is no body part with the category of SKIN. You want BY_CATEGORY:ALL:STONE so that the stone will be over all body parts.

Thanks for the answers, but this one still bugs me - I did that before, but it resulted in the "right false rib's rib stone" thing upon taking damage.

Should have went more in-depth -I want the creature to have organs and actual flesh parts, but also a stone coating over it's skin to lessen damage. Doing the above seems to conflict with that.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 09, 2016, 06:00:06 pm »

You could go category-by-category to only cover the arms, legs, upper and lower body, and head.

Or create a new body tissue layer plan.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 09, 2016, 07:05:08 pm »

Question: If I have an aquatic creature with biome [ANY_FOREST] will it correctly appear in water in forests? Or do I need to actually specify [POOL_]/[LAKE_]/etc...?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1519 on: February 10, 2016, 06:40:17 am »

You could go category-by-category to only cover the arms, legs, upper and lower body, and head.

Cool, I did that - copper slashing weapons glance off, so it works as a protective layer, but for whatever reason now blunt attacks like punches and kicks "tear the skin". Aside from making a new type of tissue, is there any way to fix that?

EDIT: Oh yeah, also - I made a statue creature, and while it immediately falls over, can't see or anything, it can still breathe - how would I go about changing that?
Raw for clarification
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:57:19 am by ZM5 »

melmarkian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:58 am »

Hi, Iīm trying to make a creature with shearable or milkable silk. But I canīt find out how to get the game to recognize the sheared hair as a thread or cloth.

Spinnermaggot

The results are just a spider maggot n/a in a bucket from milking.
A stray spinner maggot silk from the shearing that canīt be used for spinning (Loom or Farmer) or clothmaking
The [WEBBER] Tag doesnīt seem to work either, but I read that it just works on vermin

There is probably just a tag missing or something, but I canīt find a solution

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 10, 2016, 10:14:03 am »

melmarkian, you're getting "n/a" because the game is trying to put liquid silk in the bucket, and the material doesn't have a name for its liquid state.  Hair doesn't seem to have a melting point, and therefore no freezing point, so it probably won't solidify on its own.

If you want the "silk" to be shearable, I think it needs the [YARN] tag.  If you want it to be milkable, you'll need an intermediate material that is liquid at room temperature and a custom reaction to spin it into silk/thread/whatever.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1522 on: February 10, 2016, 07:01:06 pm »

Okay, gotta ask in addition to my previous question - I have a creature with gas that basically causes the thrall/husk syndrome over time, but it seems that if I have [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] specified as being added it crashes the game when it reaches that point. I use [CRAZED] instead, for now, but that's not what I'm looking for as it seems to only cause attacks against other races instead of everything that's alive.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 10, 2016, 07:23:55 pm »

Oh yeah, also - I made a statue creature, and while it immediately falls over, can't see or anything, it can still breathe - how would I go about changing that?
Raw for clarification

It has no brain, or [NOTHOUGHT], so it has no control over itself. Strange that it still breathes though.

Not sure why it being opposed to life is causing crashing.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:27 pm »

^ Yeah strange. Alongside NOTHOUGHT it should need NOBREATHE and NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT also. I suspect the opposed to life crash may be a problem with your raws instead, but we can't know for sure until you show it to us.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1525 on: February 11, 2016, 05:22:44 am »

Oh yeah I should have showed the raws for the gas, derp.

Like I said [CRAZED] works which is why it adds that tag instead of [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] - what's weirder is that it worked without crashing in 40.24.

melmarkian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 11, 2016, 11:24:27 am »

melmarkian, you're getting "n/a" because the game is trying to put liquid silk in the bucket, and the material doesn't have a name for its liquid state.  Hair doesn't seem to have a melting point, and therefore no freezing point, so it probably won't solidify on its own.

If you want the "silk" to be shearable, I think it needs the [YARN] tag.  If you want it to be milkable, you'll need an intermediate material that is liquid at room temperature and a custom reaction to spin it into silk/thread/whatever.

Thanks for the suggestions. I could not make silkshearing work. I made a reaction but it always used the result again as reagent, ending up with 15000 threads after it used the first thread as reagent.

Shearing

But the milking with a reaction and a new material worked.

Spinnermaggot

Material: Silkmilk

Reaction: Milk to Silk

It is still a bit weird because I use the the hair of the creature the milk comes from as material for the silkthread .... i think

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 11, 2016, 07:25:34 pm »

Hi total newb to modding here, is it possible to mod a syndrome so that it infects inorganic material? I've perused the wiki briefly and the answer seems to be no. More specifically, is it possible to have it infect rocks and even stone layers of an inorganic material, changing it into another type of material.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 11, 2016, 07:44:39 pm »

No, not at all. The wiki tells you everything that you can do with syndromes.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 11, 2016, 10:31:05 pm »

@Melmarkian: Ideally you should have a different material for silk, instead of just reusing your hair. For your reagent, it helps to use [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] and [ANY_STRAND_TISSUE]. This line:

should be placed further up before the detail plans, and the missing bracket fixed.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 365