Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646504 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1770 on: April 22, 2016, 01:11:57 pm »

It looks okay at first glance, though the body detail plan itself isn't present and you need to define materials before tissues inside the creature.

The leather is off, though.  Something like [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:INORGANIC:PIDGEY_LEATHER]
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: April 22, 2016, 01:13:20 pm »

Hey, I'm having a go at making a creature and would like some advice regarding how to put it together...

Essentially what I am gunning for here is a humanoid creature made of molten, living adamantine...

It is comprised of a core which functions as a [CIRCULATORY] and [THOUGHT] organ, the mantle which I guess would be the molten/semi-molten 'flesh' of the creature, and the crust which would be a layer of hardened adamantine...

I was also thinking about giving it appropriate blood, maybe having it sweat something transparent with a low boil point so as to create the constant effect of air distorting around it...

Here are my questions...

Since I want the internal parts to be molten and external parts solid, should I make three custom INORGANIC:METALS with different melt/boil points?

Will the core register as destroyed if it melts? I believe that if so, my creature would die on the spot due to it's [THOUGHT] organ melting... You guys wouldn't happen to have any super secret tricks for keeping liquefied organs functional would you?

Skin would be a tissue right? Not terribly familiar with creating/editing tissues... Any advice?

What exactly does the [CIRCULATORY] tag do? I assume it distributes blood, but the wiki was rather vague so I can't be entirely certain of its effects...

Custom blood and sweat, where do I go to create new types (err... templates?) and is there anything in particular about it that I should be mindful of?

Also, how do I add in custom body details... As it stands my creature has no flavor text describing its appearance...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:26:08 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: April 22, 2016, 01:30:29 pm »

You could make the internal tissues and core solid, but keep the homeotherm of the creature just below melting point. Then you don't have to worry about it melting to death on its own, though its temperature could be raised by its environment.
I assume internal structures being made of tissue above its melting point would cause bleeding and death, just as melting fat does for normal creatures.

Skin, just like everything else, is a tissue. You can define what material it is made from.

Blood and sweat are defined by selecting a material for use. Just make your custom material and use the same tokens used in normal creatures, using your material instead of the original. I think that for blood you just need to add the material to the creature, then select it as the material used by the blood:x token.

Sweat in normal creatures only appears when the creature is exerting itself. If you want it to appear all the time, just let it be excreted normally without a condition. I believe cave blobs have an example of how that works.

Appearance modifiers you can cut and paste from another creature, make sure you change the material/tissue selections to match the one you want to affect on your creature, and then insert the relevant color tokens. Body part modifiers like having a fat head can also be duplicated.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: April 22, 2016, 02:02:55 pm »

Thanks for the help Eric...

You could make the internal tissues and core solid, but keep the homeotherm of the creature just below melting point. Then you don't have to worry about it melting to death on its own, though its temperature could be raised by its environment.

Would setting the [SPEC_HEAT] of the materials in use to NONE solve that?

I assume internal structures being made of tissue above its melting point would cause bleeding and death, just as melting fat does for normal creatures.

Does setting the [HEAT_DAM] and/or [SPEC_HEAT] points of a material used in a tissue to NONE stop said tissue from melting due to [HOMEOTHERM] exceeding its melt point?

I can't imagine it would...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:17:17 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: April 22, 2016, 02:42:11 pm »

Does setting the [HEAT_DAM] and/or [SPEC_HEAT] points of a material used in a tissue to NONE stop said tissue from melting due to [HOMEOTHERM] exceeding its melt point?

I can't imagine it would...
Setting HEAT_DAM to none will prevent the material from being burned, but it can still melt. A tissue can be specified as a liquid or a gas if that works better.  It could probably even be a paste if you really wanted something "semi-solid."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: April 22, 2016, 11:37:21 pm »

It looks okay at first glance, though the body detail plan itself isn't present and you need to define materials before tissues inside the creature.

The leather is off, though.  Something like [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:INORGANIC:PIDGEY_LEATHER]

Oh, I actually created a creature with nothing but a name to be the "local creature" since I figured it was easier than copying the entire leather entry.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1776 on: April 23, 2016, 04:44:53 pm »

Ok, in addition to my previous question about the [IMMOLATE] tag, I gotta ask - is there any sort of workaround for flying races just hanging around in mid-air and dehydrating in fort mode? Gets sorta annoying.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: April 23, 2016, 05:21:00 pm »

Hmm, it seems [PREFIX:NONE] isn't a valid material token.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 23, 2016, 05:47:52 pm »

yes it is

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 23, 2016, 06:20:03 pm »

yes it is

Oh, you know what. It can't be defined in the material template. I thought it could.

In other news, my Pidgey's left wing inexplicably has no tissue thickness. The two wings seem to be identical, so why would one wing have no thickness while the other does?

Error Log (It says PIDGEY_MALE specifically because there's no other castes yet.):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Body Parts:

From the Body Detail Plan:

The bodyparts on the creature and arguments for the BDP from the creature caste:

The tissues:

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 23, 2016, 07:00:50 pm »

Um. That's... new? I think?

I've tried butchering some creatures in .06. A wild animal is butchered normally. A wild animal that's killed someone has all the meat-generating parts (muscle tissue, organs) turned into "unknown frozen creature substance".
These animals have a body detail plan where tissues take materials that are added inside a template creature.

Like this:

Another animal (a caravan wagon puller that's been killed) uses a body detail plan that has the meat materials added inside the creature itself, as the template also used for some entity creatures and I remember having problems with these in the past. When I tried to butcher that, the game CTD'd repeatedly, no error log.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:04:11 pm by Valikdu »

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 23, 2016, 08:38:48 pm »

Alright, I've been playing around. In reference to my last post, if I switch the wings' positions around in the OBJECT:BODY area then the right wing is the one with no tissue thickness. It only gives a tissue thickness to the first wing listed, even though it should apply to them both since it's by category. Additionally, if I separate the right and left wings so they're entirely different objects - [BODY:RWING_PIDGEY] and [BODY:LWING_PIDGEY] with [CATEGORY:RWING_PIDGEY] and [CATEGORY:LWING_PIDGEY] respectively - it still only accepts the first wing listed.

EDIT: I added a third wing for testing purposes. The results were that the first and second wing received a tissue thickness - the third didn't.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:50:21 pm by Managrimm »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: April 23, 2016, 08:59:10 pm »

Do natural skills effect adventurers?
I gave elves natural bow and archery skills (12), but starting as an elf adventurer is hard to see if it's had an effect. If it does work, does putting more points into those skills take you above the natural level?
All I know is that the first bunch of elf bandits I ran into totally killed me before I got a single shot off...

Edit -- OK I discovered a bug report on mantis. You don't get the natural_skill of your race as an adventurer.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:48:51 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 23, 2016, 10:05:50 pm »

Alright, I've been playing around. In reference to my last post, if I switch the wings' positions around in the OBJECT:BODY area then the right wing is the one with no tissue thickness. It only gives a tissue thickness to the first wing listed, even though it should apply to them both since it's by category. Additionally, if I separate the right and left wings so they're entirely different objects - [BODY:RWING_PIDGEY] and [BODY:LWING_PIDGEY] with [CATEGORY:RWING_PIDGEY] and [CATEGORY:LWING_PIDGEY] respectively - it still only accepts the first wing listed.

EDIT: I added a third wing for testing purposes. The results were that the first and second wing received a tissue thickness - the third didn't.
Not sure exactly what happened there.  It might be that none of them are getting tissues and only the last is reported?  Remember that you need to define materials first, then tissues, then bodyparts, then apply tissues to bodyparts.  You are also allowed to call the same template for more than one material, so long as the materials have distinct IDs.  So something like...

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PIDGEY_SKIN:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:pidgey skin]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:pidgey skin]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PIDGEY_FAT:FAT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:pidgey fat]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:pidgey fat]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PIDGEY_MUSCLE:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:pidgey muscle]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:pidgey muscle]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PIDGEY_BONE:BONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:pidgey bone]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:pidgey bone]
Remaining Pidgey materials...

Other castes' materials...

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:PIDGEY_TISSUES] Although if you're using for just one creature, a body detail plan isn't helping much.

Other castes' tissues...

[CASTE:PIDGEY_MALE]
[BODY:ARMLESS_NECK_PIDGEY:2WINGS_PIDGEY:2EYES_PIDGEY:2LUNGS_PIDGEY:HEART_PIDGEY:GUTS_PIDGEY:ORGANS_PIDGEY:GIZZARD_PIDGEY:HUMANOID_JOINTS_PIDGEY:THROAT_PIDGEY:NECK_PIDGEY:SPINE_PIDGEY:BRAIN_PIDGEY:SKULL_PIDGEY:TOES_PIDGEY:BEAK_PIDGEY:TONGUE_PIDGEY:RIBCAGE_PIDGEY]

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS_PIDGEY:SKIN_PIDGEY:FAT_PIDGEY:MUSCLE_PIDGEY:BONE_PIDGEY:CARTILAGE_PIDGEY]

Just got back, updating:

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 23, 2016, 11:05:47 pm »

Not sure exactly what happened there.  It might be that none of them are getting tissues and only the last is reported?  Remember that you need to define materials first, then tissues, then bodyparts, then apply tissues to bodyparts.  You are also allowed to call the same template for more than one material, so long as the materials have distinct IDs.  So something like...

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PIDGEY_SKIN:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:pidgey skin]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:pidgey skin]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PIDGEY_FAT:FAT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:pidgey fat]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:pidgey fat]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PIDGEY_MUSCLE:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:pidgey muscle]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:pidgey muscle]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PIDGEY_BONE:BONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:pidgey bone]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:pidgey bone]
Remaining Pidgey materials...

Other castes' materials...

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:PIDGEY_TISSUES] Although if you're using for just one creature, a body detail plan isn't helping much.

Other castes' tissues...

[CASTE:PIDGEY_MALE]
[BODY:ARMLESS_NECK_PIDGEY:2WINGS_PIDGEY:2EYES_PIDGEY:2LUNGS_PIDGEY:HEART_PIDGEY:GUTS_PIDGEY:ORGANS_PIDGEY:GIZZARD_PIDGEY:HUMANOID_JOINTS_PIDGEY:THROAT_PIDGEY:NECK_PIDGEY:SPINE_PIDGEY:BRAIN_PIDGEY:SKULL_PIDGEY:TOES_PIDGEY:BEAK_PIDGEY:TONGUE_PIDGEY:RIBCAGE_PIDGEY]

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS_PIDGEY:SKIN_PIDGEY:FAT_PIDGEY:MUSCLE_PIDGEY:BONE_PIDGEY:CARTILAGE_PIDGEY]

Okay, thanks for the help. If I can't get it after this I'll try a different approach.

Unrelated, is it possible to tell the feathers on one part of the body to be different colors from another with some variation of [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FEATHER]? Like, set the main body feathers and then the belly feathers?
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 365