Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646534 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1815 on: June 02, 2016, 12:18:29 am »

Give a few creatures [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] so their best can join a civilization, even though their creature doesn't have a civilization. Unicorn heroes visiting your inn?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: June 02, 2016, 11:11:57 pm »

I want to make Steam-Tadghers for Furry Fortress, steam-powered automatons fashioned after the badger-people, Tadghers.  I'm mostly going to base them on the Iron Man for ease, but I'd like to replace the Iron Man Gas with steam, and I'd like to give them teeth and claw attacks like Tadghers have. 

What is the proper format for replacing the gas with steam?  Is steam just water, or is it something special?  Would the Steam-Tadgher's body temperature need to be above boiling?  Would this cause hypothermia in non-boiling environments? 

Can I simply replace [BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE] with [BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:TAIL]?  Should I use HUMANOID_NECK and just not give them organs? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: June 03, 2016, 12:07:10 am »

You can definitely just replace the body definition with whatever you need it to be. The way the iron man's tissues are defined it will just apply them to every body part you add. However, this means even broken teeth will emit steam.

To replace the gas with steam, you can outright delete the [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:GAS:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE] and accompanying syndrome. Then change the tissue definition for the gas here:
   [TISSUE:GAS]
      [TISSUE_NAME:gas:NP]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:GAS]
to:
   [TISSUE:STEAM]
      [TISSUE_NAME:steam:NP]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:WATER:NONE]              - because water is actually a valid material
And remember to change the tissue placement string to:
   [TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:STEAM]
Although, that gives some weird results with the game saying, once the creature has run out of steam, that all parts of its body are listed "condensed" in the creature description and all body parts will be colored brown in the wounds screen. This isn't the case for the standard iron man, and I have no idea what being condensed means to the game. I've never encountered that before.

I would try making the steam blood instead, I guess. They would then die when they've bled away all their steam (In testing, with the iron tissue having VASCULAR:1 this doesn't happen even when lopping everything off one at a time, so it's not a real threat to them at that level, but they do bleed steam from the wounds like they would if they had the steam as a tissue layer.) and it would also avoid this "condensed" issue.
You can do that by removing the steam tissue and material definitions and replacing it with:
   [BLOOD:WATER:GAS]
and [VASCULAR:x] in the iron's tissue definition.

You won't have to change their body temperature (although you could, so that they're hot to the touch.) and I don't think they'll actually have any problems in extremes of temperature as iron doesn't have a cold damage point. They could melt, though. But at 12768 urists they'd still be magma-safe.

Now, if you don't want the teeth to bleed when cut, you'd have to have two different iron tissues, one that bleeds and one that doesn't, using the non-bleeding tissue on the teeth. You can even give them internal organs.

Also, have you considered making them out of brass? They'd be a little softer, but still reasonably tough compared to everything else.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: June 03, 2016, 09:52:30 am »

Hmm.  If using real steam is potentially problematic, I might just rename "iron man gas" to "steam tadhger steam" and not worry about it actually being made of water. 

I have fought iron man sieges before and they're not that tough, so I'm a little worried that making them out of brass would just leave them heavy and useless.  It might be interesting to give them iron "skin" and brass "organs" though.  But I'm not sure if that would have any practical effect in-game or even be noticeable. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: June 03, 2016, 04:20:24 pm »

You could take their creature variation recipe in c_variation_default.txt and knock off the [CV_NEW_TAG:CHANGE_FREQUENCY_PERC:10] tag. Or even change it to [CV_NEW_TAG:FREQUENCY:100] if you want to double down.
Give a few creatures [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] so their best can join a civilization, even though their creature doesn't have a civilization. Unicorn heroes visiting your inn?
I appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to try them out. Fingers crossed I manage to get some animal people citizens.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #1820 on: June 05, 2016, 10:47:26 am »

Let's say I gave a creature an interaction allowing them to "enchant" the weapons they're wielding, turning them into a different material. Would the AI ever attempt to use that?
...okay, first off, can I even do that? Give only a specific creature a reaction they can do?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:03:07 am by leafbarrett »
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: June 05, 2016, 11:15:59 pm »

I don't think so, no. Reactions can't be part of interactions, and NPCs also won't use reactions in play.

If the civ has access to reactions to make the enchanted metal, it could show up in-game in their sites or on their persons, and creature tokens can be used to give specific creatures a resistance or weakness to materials. However, thats not very satisfying in this case.

I can't think of many good ways to gain enchanted items. An adventurer can use reactions of course, but NPCs cannot. Interactions they could, but interactions can't produce items except through an item cloud. You have to stop and pick up items from the infinite pools those spawn, though, and NPCs won't pick them up. Players can. But players can exploit it to pick up an infinite quantity of the item.

NPCs can use material emissions, though. But the interaction can't be made to be dependent upon if the creature is holding an item to "enchant," they'll just use it whenever they want.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: June 07, 2016, 08:38:40 am »

It's not possible to make a creature who will jump and can get stuck in trees, is it?

My niece has been watching Winnie the Pooh over and over, and I've been imagining one of its creatures in Dwarf Fortress while listening – A creature whose tops are made out of rubbers, whose bottoms are made out of springs, who like to bounce on their tails, and who will bounce and get stuck up in trees. He can learn, and can speak, and is a level 1 building destroyer. It doesn't look like rubber and springs are materials in the game, though.

I know it's silly, but I'd appreciate any help satisfying my curiosity on this.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: June 07, 2016, 09:33:28 am »

It's not possible to make a creature who will jump and can get stuck in trees, is it?

My niece has been watching Winnie the Pooh over and over, and I've been imagining one of its creatures in Dwarf Fortress while listening – A creature whose tops are made out of rubbers, whose bottoms are made out of springs, who like to bounce on their tails, and who will bounce and get stuck up in trees. He can learn, and can speak, and is a level 1 building destroyer. It doesn't look like rubber and springs are materials in the game, though.

I know it's silly, but I'd appreciate any help satisfying my curiosity on this.
you can make new material templates for rubber and springs. you cannot guarantee it will get stuck in trees. generally people cannot jump up, only sideways. you could make them civ creatures.
if the springers are attacked by something next to a tree they might climb up it(they would have to have a grasp or have STANCE_CLIMBER). then they would be stuck until you use tracks or stairs to get them out, they also might climb down if attacked again. if my creatures have CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK but not  INTELLIGENT can they be butchered and have their butchered parts used?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:48:03 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #1824 on: June 07, 2016, 10:58:28 am »

Okay, can someone break down the GAIT function for me, or more specifically, the APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION that alters it? I've looked at it on the wiki, but I'm still confused. I know there's a gait speed list in the Examples folder, but I'd like to know what exactly I'm doing by using those numbers.

[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:695:489:258:1900:2900]
Which of these numbers is which, and what do they mean?

if my creatures have CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK but not  INTELLIGENT can they be butchered and have their butchered parts used?
I'm not sure about in Fortress mode, but in Adventure mode, while you can butcher creatures with CAN_LEARN, you can't use their parts in any way.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: June 07, 2016, 01:16:23 pm »

Okay, can someone break down the GAIT function for me, or more specifically, the APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION that alters it? I've looked at it on the wiki, but I'm still confused. I know there's a gait speed list in the Examples folder, but I'd like to know what exactly I'm doing by using those numbers.

[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:695:489:258:1900:2900]
Which of these numbers is which, and what do they mean?

The actual moving bits are in the creature variations themselves. The line in the creature's definition just plugs in those values into the appropriate places in the variation, from left to right. The 900 is !ARG1, for one.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS]
GAIT:type:name:full speed:build up time:turning max:start speed:energy use
use NO_BUILD_UP if you jump immediately to full speed
these optional flags go at the end:
LAYERS_SLOW - fat/muscle layers slow the movement (muscle-slowing counter-acted by strength bonus)
STRENGTH - strength attribute can speed/slow movement
AGILITY - agility attribute can speed/slow movement
STEALTH_SLOWS:<n> - n is percentage slowed
it would be interesting to allow quirky attributes (like mental stats), but they aren't supported yet
[CV_NEW_TAG:GAIT:WALK:Sprint:!ARG4:10:3:!ARG2:50:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:50]
[CV_NEW_TAG:GAIT:WALK:Run:!ARG3:5:3:!ARG2:10:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:20]
[CV_NEW_TAG:GAIT:WALK:Jog:!ARG2:NO_BUILD_UP:5:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:10]
[CV_NEW_TAG:GAIT:WALK:Walk:!ARG1:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[CV_NEW_TAG:GAIT:WALK:Stroll:!ARG5:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[CV_NEW_TAG:GAIT:WALK:Creep:!ARG6:NO_BUILD_UP:0]

The speeds themselves are expressed in "gallons per mile", the amount of time (number of ticks) it takes to hustle 100 tiles at that pace. The lower the number, the higher the speed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:18:11 pm by scamtank »

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: June 07, 2016, 03:52:03 pm »

if my creatures have CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK but not  INTELLIGENT can they be butchered and have their butchered parts used?
INTELLIGENT is just a shortcut for CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK, it isn't really its own token.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 08, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »

So I haven't touched modding in a very long time, but I'm trying to do some cosmetic appearance modifications on domestic animals (dogs, cats...).
A few questions:

If I define new colors in a new color file, will they show up elsewhere in the game? (e.g. dwarves having a preference for the color tabby)
If so, any way to prevent this?

I've managed to add coat length descriptors using hair length (e.g. his fur is very long/extremely short). Will their hair grow longer over time? I want variable coat length and I'd rather not have everything end up super shaggy after a year or so.

Is there any way to make certain coat colors or patterns gender-specific? I'm specifically thinking about adding calico/tortoiseshell markings to cats, but only female cats can express those. If so, how does that interact with genetics? (what happens to male offspring of female calico cats, color-wise?)

I'm not currently able to do extensive testing in-game to answer these myself, so any advice is appreciated.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: June 08, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »

You can give different castes different descriptive colors by separating the color descriptor  definitions with select_caste strings. That will apply the descriptors exclusively to the caste selected.
I think males born of a calico female will take the color of the father, then, since the mothers' color is unavailable to them. If not, they could be selected randomly from what is available.

If you define new colors, they might be available elsewhere, yes, but I've never seen a dwarf with preference for black and brown stripes, which is a valid color descriptor.
I make Spellcrafts!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: June 08, 2016, 11:34:54 pm »

If you define new colors, they might be available elsewhere, yes, but I've never seen a dwarf with preference for black and brown stripes, which is a valid color descriptor.

Well, black and brown stripes are a pattern, not a color, defined in a "descriptor_pattern" file instead of a "descriptor_color" one...
I'd like to be able to create new patterns besides spots, stripes and mottled, but I'm afraid those might be the only options?

If I could house my new "colors" in the pattern file it would probably fix the potential problem of it showing up elsewhere, but I'm not sure how (or if it's possible) to make a single-color pattern that doesn't follow the spots, stripes or mottled templates.

Edit:
Obviously I can approximate patterns like tabby and calico using the existing pattern templates ("his hair is striped brown" or "her hair is white with orange and black spots") but my current system using colors allows a lot more patterns (e.g. "her hair is grey. her coat is tabby with a white stomach and paws." etc.). But then again, I really don't want to see any dwarves with a color preference for "tabby with a white stomach and paws" so I might need to scrap it. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:01:10 am by DeKaFu »
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 365