Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646392 times)

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1905 on: July 07, 2016, 02:20:25 pm »

By the way ThatZommy, could you please also post the creature entity (civilization you're stacking them inside) it'd be useful for identifying future problems if the base creature is more or less watertight in design but adress your problems in crashes.

Well, it was crashing even before I made the entity, and it crashes in Arena mode, so the entity probably isn't the cause. And when I did generate a world it worked fine, so long as they don't have CAN_LEARN. Nonetheless, here's the entity, just in case-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Er, atleast I think that's right.

draconicDuelist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [CREATURE:DRAGON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 07, 2016, 03:26:27 pm »

Alright, I set up a a few material templates, copied the base material, then changed the numbers to that of steel, then had the new body plan refer to those templates (for simplicity's sake, I just mashed STEEL to the front of the same name).
Now, copying the details for humans, then switching 'standard_materials' for my new 'steel_materials' should work?
Anything else I needed to change?

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 07, 2016, 03:45:40 pm »

Alright, I set up a a few material templates, copied the base material, then changed the numbers to that of steel, then had the new body plan refer to those templates (for simplicity's sake, I just mashed STEEL to the front of the same name).
Now, copying the details for humans, then switching 'standard_materials' for my new 'steel_materials' should work?
Anything else I needed to change?

I don't think so...
Hopefully I have some idea of what I'm talking about.
If I'm right, it should take the steel material, use it for the tissue, and then the creature should have steel skin.

draconicDuelist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 07, 2016, 04:08:13 pm »

Slapped all the files into the raws, had it start loading for a new world, and checked the errorlog, here's the only entries related to my race at least:
I can guess it didn't like the horns, but I've yet to understand why it doesn't like them with eggs (I copied the eggs mostly from the kobolds, I figured it'd be a safe bet. Though they steal nest boxes from the geese...)

I actually generated a world, and everything seemed to go alright ^_^
So tomorrow, I'll see about fixing the smaller stuff, and figuring out some of the odd behavior.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 08, 2016, 01:05:49 am »

Is it possible to assign different pet values to adults and children of the same species?

I'm looking to make something that I can buy for cheap on embark and then sell for more after it matures.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 08, 2016, 05:59:07 am »

Is it possible to assign different pet values to adults and children of the same species?

I'm looking to make something that I can buy for cheap on embark and then sell for more after it matures.
I don't think there's a way to add child-specific tokens or adult-specific tokens or anything. You might try making a caste of the creature that is trainable, breed some less expensive creatures, then sell off all of the non-gendered/non-breeding ones. Aside from that, I'm not sure.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 08, 2016, 09:15:16 am »

Hmm, I suspected as much. That's a good workaround solution but it won't work for the specific scenario I was envisioning.

It's not ideal, but I suppose my other option is just editing the raws in the save to change their pet value post-embark. That would take effect immediately for all members of the species in-game, right? Even ones already in my fortress?

draconicDuelist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 08, 2016, 12:49:36 pm »

Hmm, I suspected as much. That's a good workaround solution but it won't work for the specific scenario I was envisioning.

It's not ideal, but I suppose my other option is just editing the raws in the save to change their pet value post-embark. That would take effect immediately for all members of the species in-game, right? Even ones already in my fortress?
As long as you do it to the save you want changed, yes, editing a creature file takes effect upon the next starting of the game.
(At least, as far as I have seen regarding the controllable pop, but one may interpret that to all creatures)

draconicDuelist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 09, 2016, 11:55:07 am »

Alright, so far, my drakes have been doing well with their steelskin and steelmuscles and such, so now I want to try making my two castes again, however, I don't know which way would be best to make two similarly-bodied castes. Should I define the base kind of body (basically humans, but bigger) then for the one caste add [BODY:2WINGS] and for the other [BODY:SIX_TENTACLES] (Don't ask why >.>) or do I instead use the entire BODY: line in each caste and just switch out the wings for the other caste?
Or can I even define a winged and tentacle'd body, then for each caste, remove the wings, or tentacles as needed?

Semi related note, I'm not really sure why, but it seems that at world gen, the drakes are hugely prolific, and outnumber... well, every other race by the end of 125 years. They make a clutch size of 1(never more than 1 egg at a time), they mature at age 15(3 years later than most), and live for about 200 years(Longer then dwarves oddly), and they prefer deserts and savannas. Here's an example http://i.imgur.com/MlVqXI3.jpg
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:00:41 pm by draconicDuelist »

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 09, 2016, 12:05:01 pm »

Alright, so far, my drakes have been doing well with their steelskin and steelmuscles and such, so now I want to try making my two castes again, however, I don't know which way would be best to make two similarly-bodied castes. Should I define the base kind of body (basically humans, but bigger) then for the one caste add [BODY:2WINGS] and for the other [BODY:SIX_TENTACLES] (Don't ask why >.>) or do I instead use the entire BODY: line in each caste and just switch out the wings for the other caste?
Or can I even define a winged and tentacle'd body, then for each caste, remove the wings, or tentacles as needed?

Semi related note, I'm not really sure why, but it seems that at world gen, the drakes are hugely prolific, and outnumber... well, every other race by the end of 125 years. They make a clutch size of 1, they mature at age 15, and live for about 200 years, and they prefer deserts and savannas. Here's an example http://i.imgur.com/MlVqXI3.jpg

I believe the best way is to just have [BODY:2WINGS] and [BODY:SIX_TENTACLES] in the appropriate castes. I'm pretty sure I had a problem with a Flood creature in my Halo mod, where they had to have a BODY in the non-caste-y bit, so I wouldn't recommend putting the entire body into the castes. And if ya mess up I've heard/seen some weird stuff happen.

The same thing happens to some of my races for seemingly no reason. I think it's just a biome thing, some biomes just get filled up easily or something. That's just a theory though. But the same thing happens to Satyrs in my DnDF mod, and the Ugheaghe in my Poneche mod. Though with the ugheaghe it's a good thing.
I'm pretty sure Elves do the same thing, just in smaller clumps. Instead of spreading out like dwarves they tend to just form little clumps of a bunch of treehabitats.

draconicDuelist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 09, 2016, 12:18:22 pm »

Alright then, thankee much, and I'll get back to you on the body thing.
I guess so on the biome, I mean I've even cut back on what biomes they can inhabit, and it still goes nuts... my next thought on the biggest reason would have been the age, but that shouldn't matter as much... maybe they do just really enjoy laying eggs? X3 I remember when I had clutch sizes at 1:3, I saw these HUGE families, like 20 cousins and 10 siblings, and I just went 'no... that's insane' and cut back.

UPDATE: The game does not seem to like seeing bodyparts all by themselves in the caste section, claiming 'no tissue thickness' for each body part referenced.
Maybe I can go the route of the Antmen? Select to two castes I want, make this body shape, select the other two, add that little change, then select all castes and use the body plan/body detail stuff?

UPDATE2: I did it like that, then well... moved every other token into the grasp of 'select_caste:all' and I got only one error in the log, related back to the horn tissue again (I'll figure out where to make it reference later) So now it looks like I should have my two castes ^_^ winged drakes, and tentacled drakes >.>
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:04:31 pm by draconicDuelist »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 09, 2016, 07:51:22 pm »

Alright then, thankee much, and I'll get back to you on the body thing.
I guess so on the biome, I mean I've even cut back on what biomes they can inhabit, and it still goes nuts... my next thought on the biggest reason would have been the age, but that shouldn't matter as much... maybe they do just really enjoy laying eggs? X3 I remember when I had clutch sizes at 1:3, I saw these HUGE families, like 20 cousins and 10 siblings, and I just went 'no... that's insane' and cut back.

UPDATE: The game does not seem to like seeing bodyparts all by themselves in the caste section, claiming 'no tissue thickness' for each body part referenced.
Maybe I can go the route of the Antmen? Select to two castes I want, make this body shape, select the other two, add that little change, then select all castes and use the body plan/body detail stuff?

UPDATE2: I did it like that, then well... moved every other token into the grasp of 'select_caste:all' and I got only one error in the log, related back to the horn tissue again (I'll figure out where to make it reference later) So now it looks like I should have my two castes ^_^ winged drakes, and tentacled drakes >.>
The easiest way to do this (assuming no caste-specific materials/tissues) is to put all of your non-caste-specific stuff first, then add just caste-specific parts in each caste, then come back together and add the materials and tissues.

It is essential that a bodypart have something to attach to when it is declared, which is why the UPPERBODY bit is always first.  Something like

[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]]
[CASTE:MALE]
   [BODY:6TENTACLES]
   [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
   [BODY:2WINGS]
   [FEMALE]
   [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL:FRONT]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:NAIL:FRONT]
   [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
    [PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT]
      [TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_HEAD_POSITIONS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RIBCAGE_POSITIONS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RELSIZES]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
   [TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
   [LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
   [HAS_NERVES]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
   [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

draconicDuelist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 09, 2016, 08:11:18 pm »

I guess that might look a bit neater overall, plus that points out why it didn't like the wings where I did it (I put materials above caste)

Here's the current version of the Drakes as I have them

Just so people can pick it apart and laugh or whatever X3 Yeah, they're somewhat OP, but I'll mellow them out later on once I work out all the details of how to do things.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 10, 2016, 06:47:29 am »

so I been thinking is it possible to set trees to spawn in a ocean biome?
and if so is it possible to make a tree be a huge walking platform?
this might lead to animal people standing on ocean trees.
something for the time you want to look down and see what going on in the ocean floor in a fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 10, 2016, 07:46:38 am »

so I been thinking is it possible to set trees to spawn in a ocean biome?
and if so is it possible to make a tree be a huge walking platform?
this might lead to animal people standing on ocean trees.
something for the time you want to look down and see what going on in the ocean floor in a fort.

Of course it is.

Apparently the [wet] tree tag (i heard rumours of [watery] and [water] also but check those out with the errorlog as they are most likely illegal tags for the game to use) handles trees/plants growing close to or directly inside water, stopping trees from cropping up from beaches and firmly on the mainland because its non-optimized for some reason and generally annoying to fish logs out of lakes from a gameplay perspective. (real mangrove marshes are real, not phoney 'roots dug into a aquifier wall' malarkey)

The sea floor is quite deep, i doubt you can make a tree that reliably breaches the surface but you could try making 'kelp' trees at the bottom of the ocean as long as you provided the leaf tiles yourself in the d_init file (why they are there is a mystery perhaps they are unique hard coded tiles) you may need some kind of water/ocean viewer that inverted liquid tiles as to allow you to look within them as if they were transparent air tiles while making air tiles instead non-transparent to have any chance of seeing them though besides the horrific water balancing conflicts water saplings sprouting up might cause in sea levels churning to water being deleted.

Aquatic people die shortly on land (from what i heard and have seen unless adventurers are different because they consume/desire water *no drink drinking should be mandatory on aquatic intelligent beings if you ask me, just purely for survival*) so you'd have a bunch of rotten corpses on your mushroom tops along with some confused beached whales (just tie it into the lore that the fungus eats detritus and its good enough)

Toady on the Fotf has already mentioned that ocean stuff is within his sights already, and boats are on the arc to inevitably crash into your sea stretching tree monstrosities.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 365