Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646618 times)

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2745 on: July 24, 2017, 07:42:38 pm »

Well, I asked some buddies to help me along as well...so far this is my current state of being

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:36 pm »

You don't need to replace dwarves, or touch creature_standard.txt at all. If your new entity has the tag [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] you get to choose it in Fortress mode. You might want to copy a lot of the dwarf creature and entity entries for your first couple of tries though.

Where should I put the txt file for my blob race then?
In raw. So long as it has the right headers, df picks it up automatically. Makes it very easy to handle having all your modded stuff in a separate file.

Last question for you at least, personally, you think the 400000 size is alright or is it too big?
Well, body size is density, and you're making, what, slime blobs? That's a blob which is twice the density of an adult minotaur and almost as dense as an elephant. I imagine a slime blob would have to be several times bigger than an elephant to achieve a similar density. So, dunno, how big do you imagine them to be?

For reference the giant sponge, which I imagine is kind of similar has a body size of 50,000.

Oh shit, I was thinking size = volume alone for some reason

Because it is. "size is density" is 100% wrong.

Sorry for prodding so late, but as I was getting back to doing the bits here and there, I am stuck on body_size for some reason...and the wiki doesn't help all too much.

What exactly is body_size

I read somewhere that the standard flesh was 1g per cm^3, so a blob made of standard flesh for example would have a size equal to the volume of the sphere that it'd make

And a blob made of heavier density, let's say of something that'd be 3 g/cm^3, it'd be 3x the body size of the one made of standard flesh?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: July 24, 2017, 10:01:27 pm »

[BODY_SIZE:n:m:x] is the size x in cubic centimeters of a unit at n years, m days. It only describes total volume.

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: July 24, 2017, 11:06:35 pm »

[BODY_SIZE:n:m:x] is the size x in cubic centimeters of a unit at n years, m days. It only describes total volume.

Btw, if I slapped Equips onto the blobs, will they be able to use items and whatnot despite not having well, appendages?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: July 25, 2017, 12:15:07 am »

Btw, if I slapped Equips onto the blobs, will they be able to use items and whatnot despite not having well, appendages?

Helmets, perhaps. Likely nothing else (assuming they're just heads).
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: July 25, 2017, 12:36:21 am »

Helmets, perhaps. Likely nothing else (assuming they're just heads).

Hmm, then should I give them tentacles? Probably borrowing one of the several premade body ones from the body default file

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: July 25, 2017, 12:59:22 am »

Or would copying and pasting

[BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY_THOUGHT]

And slap on [GRASP] work better in keeping them blobularly shaped?

EDIT: Nvm, I got my whole deal working now, wasn't as hard as I expect...though it did take quite a long time getting used to it all.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:47:18 am by PinkyThePinkBlob »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: July 25, 2017, 07:55:39 am »

Question: Do flying civ members in fortress mode only fly around when there's a path? I had ten flying draconians of mine stuck in a tree with arms full of apples.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: July 25, 2017, 09:24:51 am »

Question: Do flying civ members in fortress mode only fly around when there's a path? I had ten flying draconians of mine stuck in a tree with arms full of apples.

I think, but it's also possible they can't fly at all, I can't remember.

My game giveaway

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: July 25, 2017, 11:51:51 am »

If I recall, flying is wonky but somewhat workable

Also, I need to ask something, in the Arena, what age are creatures spawned at? Does the Arena choose to spawn them at full size? Like if a creature were to reach max size around year 100 around a specific body size, would it be spawned at that body size?

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: July 25, 2017, 10:57:10 pm »

How does one increase the rate of hunger in a creature?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: July 25, 2017, 11:15:59 pm »

How does one increase the rate of hunger in a creature?

Might be herbivore only, like a graze rate tag. IIRC no such thing exists for anything else.

My game giveaway

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2757 on: July 26, 2017, 07:55:53 am »

Is light sensitivity possible? Specifically with tissues, I'd like a creature to be slowly injured if it's exposed to an outdoor tile, ideally if it was wearing clothing this would be delayed/prevented, but I get the feeling that's asking too much, from my past ventures into modding!

Failing all this can I max out cave adaptation on a base level and keep the creature from ever recovering, functionally? Or is cave adaption hard coded?

And while I'm here, can a racial ability (like throwing fireballs, say) use a reagent?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:11:39 am by Seriyu »

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: July 26, 2017, 09:26:38 am »

Is light sensitivity possible? Specifically with tissues, I'd like a creature to be slowly injured if it's exposed to an outdoor tile, ideally if it was wearing clothing this would be delayed/prevented, but I get the feeling that's asking too much, from my past ventures into modding!

Failing all this can I max out cave adaptation on a base level and keep the creature from ever recovering, functionally? Or is cave adaption hard coded?
In terms of vanilla modding, I'm aware that one of the applicable syndrome counter triggers uses cave adaption, though if utilising that, the creature might require the [CAVE_ADAPT] token. I couldn't tell you how it'd work or how to implement it (syndrome modding is probably my weakest df-modding discipline), only point out that it's a potential path to check out :P

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: July 26, 2017, 11:37:43 am »

So, I need to ask...do things grow with each passing tick or with each passing year?

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 365