Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 363

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 642663 times)

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 05:42:17 pm »

Is there any way to get the push effect without a DUST token, then?
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »

other then standard combat, not a clue.

daxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 06:10:51 pm »

In the Masterwork mod, there is a golem forge. This lets you change dwarves into golems, but the golems don't seem to work well. I want to be able to use them as my main military force instead of normal dwarves, but the golems in Masterwork cannot be added to the military. If you add a dwarf to the military and then turn him into a golem, he will stay in the military but behave like a civilian: he will run from enemies and obey burrow restrictions, despite move/kill orders.

So, I was wondering if I could somehow change the reactions in Masterwork, so that the dwarves turn into a golem caste of dwarf instead of becoming an entirely different creature. I have no idea how to go about this; I've never modded DF before. But I would like to keep to the way golems are in Masterwork as much as possible. In the mod, they can be made of seven metals (copper, gold, titanium, mithril, adamantine, iron, and steel) and have a weapon for a hand. I figure I can just give them a weapon instead of making them have a weapon hand, though, if they're a dwarf.

And I'm guessing there's no way for a caste to only be allowed to perform military actions. But, I know you can change skill rates somehow. So, I'm thinking I could make it so that the golems learn military skills normally, but learn other skills so slowly that it's not feasible to make them do it. And I'm not sure how this would affect migrants...

Does all this sound doable? And if so, how could I get started?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:14:40 pm by daxp »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 07:36:44 pm »

It is doable, altho Meph's Golem creature is a horrible mess (I've looked at it for him, i'm amased it acually works)

So you might have to create a whole new golem/like caste. Note transforming dwarves into golems that lack certain tissues (golems use plating instead of skin) it is advised *NOT* to view the golems description as it may crash DF (due to missing tissues to name)

Also the caste should have a POP_RATIO of 1 and all the other dwarf caste pop_ratios be multipied by 10

For any help on how all this will work download Project Clockwerks, I even have a portion of the wiki that I use regularlly get it here

daxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »

Alright, well I am going to jump into this then. Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, well I've got it working. Kind of. The dwarves can use the golem forge to become a golem caste, and they gain all the properties of them (nofear, no pain, no eat, no drink, etc.,..). But they also gain a bunch of limbs. The wound page lists all the standard stuff, then if you scroll down you start seeing stuff like this:

Chest
Torso, Chest
Torso, Chest
Head, Chest
Head, Chest
Right Arm, Chest
Right Arm, Chest
Left Arm, Chest
Left Arm, Chest
Right Forearm, Right arm
Right Forearm, Right arm, Chest
etc

I'm not sure if it'll actually be a problem in game, but I do have an idea about what may have caused it. There is a [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] thing in the creature_standard for dwarves, and I figure that is creating the extra limbs. Is there a way to exclude one caste, or do I need to do something like [SELECT_CASTE:CASTE 1: CASTE 2:etc] to exclude the golems? I tried putting the golem caste above the select all part, but it didn't help.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:19:57 am by daxp »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 12:35:28 am »

Your problem is that you have a BODY token defined on the creature AND caste levels. Bodies must be defined at either creature ONLY or caste ONLY, never both, lest your fractal bodies happen.

daxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 01:39:07 am »

Yep, looks like that fixed it! The reaction works, the caste doesn't cause any trouble, everything is looking good. Did a quick test with 5 "iron golem" dwarves versus 5 dwarves in iron armor. Unarmed, the iron golems win with minimum injuries. Arm both groups, though, and the golems lose badly. I'm not entirely sure why this is true. I guess the golems have a slower speed, due to their higher weight, but I figured their metal...everything would even that out.

But that doesn't really matter, it works now! Thanks a lot! I can always give the golem dwarves armor too if they seem too weak.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out pretty much everything now. The golems have their metal skins, and things are starting to make sense. I do have one last question though. Is it possible to reset the dwarves skills when they become a golem? I have it set so that their skill rates are low for everything non-combat related, but that wouldn't matter if you transformed a legendary blacksmith, and I don't want to have smiths that never need to take a break for any reason. Is there a way to do this to the dwarves when they get the golem syndrome (that's what transforms them)? I tried adding NATURAL_SKILL tags into the golem castes, but that only seems to affect dwarves that start out as golems.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:18:42 am by daxp »

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 10:15:35 am »

All right, so. I know there was a token back in v0.28 called [DAMBLOCK] that gave a creature natural armor. Is there an equivalent token in the current version?

Oh, and one other (unrelated) question: Is it possible to make a new skill level, specifically a weapon level?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:19:10 am by leafbarrett »
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 12:17:41 pm »

[GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:A:B] 
A:B 
against the creature have their force modified by A/B. For example, 1:2 will halve the force of an attack made against the creature.

@daxp
Transformed creatures retain their old NATUERAL_SKILLS and Learn Rates since they count as SOUL tags, not BODY tags. Only things that change body stuff is altered (looks, body parts, tissues, materials (altho some butchered creatures have still retained their old materials, anyone comfirm this?))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 01:13:21 pm »

All right, so. I know there was a token back in v0.28 called [DAMBLOCK] that gave a creature natural armor. Is there an equivalent token in the current version?

Oh, and one other (unrelated) question: Is it possible to make a new skill level, specifically a weapon level?

Hugo answered your first question. To the second question: no.

daxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 09:59:59 pm »

Ok, well, guess there's nothing to be done there then. Thanks!

And one last thing...is there any way to make a caste of dwarves that are not alcohol dependent? I don't see a token for that in the wiki, so I doubt it, but I figured I'd ask.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 10:05:17 pm »

[ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] is caste level. remove it from the creature level and place it in all castes you wish to have a dependancy for it. Note even creatures lacking [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] can rely on booze randomly, or never.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »

[ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] is caste level. remove it from the creature level and place it in all castes you wish to have a dependancy for it. Note even creatures lacking [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] can rely on booze randomly, or never.

I've never actually seen a non-ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT creature depend on alcohol.

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 11:28:16 pm »

So you might have to create a whole new golem/like caste. Note transforming dwarves into golems that lack certain tissues (golems use plating instead of skin) it is advised *NOT* to view the golems description as it may crash DF (due to missing tissues to name)
Is this an unavoidable problem?  Or one that would be caused by pre-caste tissue and material definitions and/or appearance and color modifiers after a [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 11:41:35 pm »

You can avoid that crashing problem by using caste only modifiers. If the original creature does not have the same descriptions (or the transformed creature) then all is good.

Example: If the dwarf has a modifier for eyecolor, but the golem does not... then all is good. :) Just write it in the caste_descriptions: A big metal golem with glowing red eyes... or similar, and you get a similar result.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 363