Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646516 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3180 on: May 08, 2018, 05:53:41 pm »

You would probably be best able to tell if the creature has multiple rear legs, but i suspect its actually recording multiple wounds on the same part.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: May 09, 2018, 02:49:53 am »

If an entity has no metal access but does have access to stone weapons like obsidian short swords and the like, will they show up with weapons as adventurers/war parties?  Or am I going to have to create pseudo-metals to allow for bone/stone/etc weapons to be used by attacking war parties?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3182 on: May 09, 2018, 06:15:01 pm »

If an entity has no metal access but does have access to stone weapons like obsidian short swords and the like, will they show up with weapons as adventurers/war parties?  Or am I going to have to create pseudo-metals to allow for bone/stone/etc weapons to be used by attacking war parties?
Here's testing material from OldGenesis for you:
In OldGenesis I/we have "pseudoweapons" to ensure that rock weapons are way worse than metal weapons.
And a reaction class tag on those rocks that actual stone age people used for tools.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: May 10, 2018, 04:31:27 pm »

How would I go about creating a caste of infertile, yet still sexed creatures?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: May 10, 2018, 05:45:31 pm »

I believe there is an INFERTILE token.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: May 10, 2018, 06:07:38 pm »

You must be misremembering, can't find a reference to that anywhere.

Maybe make castes that are labeled "male" and "female" but that actually don't have the [MALE] or [FEMALE] tags?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3186 on: May 10, 2018, 06:12:09 pm »

There's a [STERILE] token that gets added to vampires and necromancers, but I don't know if it can be added to a creature file.

Maybe make castes that are labeled "male" and "female" but that actually don't have the [MALE] or [FEMALE] tags?
They'd still get called "it" in descriptors.

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: May 10, 2018, 06:14:42 pm »

This would de-sex them though. One solution I've considered is using [ORIENTATION], but that would make them asexual, not infertile. It's mechanically similar in that both prevent offspring, but it also removes their ability to get married, which wouldn't make much sense.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: May 10, 2018, 11:49:58 pm »

There's a [STERILE] token that gets added to vampires and necromancers, but I don't know if it can be added to a creature file.

They'd still get called "it" in descriptors.

Can't add [STERILE] to creatures, only in syndromes.

This would de-sex them though. One solution I've considered is using [ORIENTATION], but that would make them asexual, not infertile. It's mechanically similar in that both prevent offspring, but it also removes their ability to get married, which wouldn't make much sense.

This is my main method. Could let them still get into romance, just never married.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: May 11, 2018, 10:52:50 am »

So, hello! New to modding, but it has been easy enough; working on adding a few creatures. First one was a relatively simple alpaca re-skin; just added horns, gave it a bit more value to it, and made it a bit rarer; among other minor changes. No problem there.

The problem I'm having is with my second creature. I'm adding in the Larinoth from Monster Hunter (I'll add an image in the spoiler below, for reference). Now a good deal was simple; I mostly just modified a Giant Olm to have a longer neck and scales. My concern is the positioning. Obviously, these things hold their head far higher than Olms, and are less sprawling; so I'm unsure of how to, or even if I need to, make these changes. I know that the eyes are listed as "On front" of the face, for example; but that's so general, it might as well be one above the other like a colon. Is this the same way? Code related to the body plan included below.

Code: [Select]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:RIBCAGE]
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:NECK:1000]
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:150]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:PARCHMENT]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
[PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT]
[TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RIBCAGE_POSITIONS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LEATHERY_EGG_MATERIALS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
Spoiler: Larinoth Image (click to show/hide)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: May 11, 2018, 12:54:47 pm »

Dwarf fortress, as far as I can tell, makes no real difference between a giraffe and say, a sauropod when it comes to positions of things

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3191 on: May 11, 2018, 01:24:20 pm »

As to his comment of the EYEs, bodyparts have their own LEFT and RIGHT tokens, the added body detail plan options for "positioning" parts is due to the new combat stuff. It'd be harder to hit a part if it's FRONT if i'm attacking from behind.

So with EYEs being FRONT they still have their respected LEFT and RIGHT values so they're actually FRONT-LEFT and FRONT-RIGHT

so yeah Scourge is right, everything is practically just a mess of different sized orbs. It's just the behaviors of the parts and our imagination that aid in "assembling" them

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: May 12, 2018, 06:52:00 am »

How can I make a creature more resistant to fire?  Not necessarily totally immune, and not immune to magma, as something like FIXED_TEMP would accomplish, but just a creature that won't ignite/melt in, say, a normal forest fire?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: May 12, 2018, 01:54:30 pm »

Raise its heatdam and melting points to just below 11000, i think? Like 10,950. Im not sure how feasible that is, though, i have no idea what the average temperature of a forest fire is in df, and the game gets silly about temperatures anyway.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3194 on: May 12, 2018, 03:53:20 pm »

How can I make a creature more resistant to fire?  Not necessarily totally immune, and not immune to magma, as something like FIXED_TEMP would accomplish, but just a creature that won't ignite/melt in, say, a normal forest fire?

Raise its heatdam and melting points to just below 11000, i think? Like 10,950. Im not sure how feasible that is, though, i have no idea what the average temperature of a forest fire is in df, and the game gets silly about temperatures anyway.

To add to Eric's reply

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Temperature

Basically lava/magma is 12000 and normal fire is what Eric said 11000. However is something catches fire I can't seem to find it but once something reaches it's IGNITE_POINT it increases it's temp slightly above that point however since I'm having trouble finding that, it sounds more like I'm full of it

EDIT: if I am right, then something that catches fire at 10950 could potentially get hotter than 11000
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 365