Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 645899 times)

Hetsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3360 on: December 22, 2018, 02:56:04 pm »

I have a question regarding [BODY_SIZE]. Do creatures suddenly increase to that size at the age specified in the token or do the increase to that size gradually? For example, if I have a creature tagged [BODY_SIZE:0:0:1][BODY_SIZE:2:0:1000], will it's average size at 1 year be around 1 or 500, disregarding modifiers?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: December 22, 2018, 07:03:58 pm »

Its a gradual increase, yeah
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: December 29, 2018, 12:27:46 am »

I've got myself to a point where there are no more errors in the log, my creatures are all spawnable in the object testing arena, and their abilities all work more or less how I intend, but when I create a world, DF crashes and nothing is written to the error log. How do I even troubleshoot something like this?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: December 29, 2018, 05:44:39 am »

I've got myself to a point where there are no more errors in the log, my creatures are all spawnable in the object testing arena, and their abilities all work more or less how I intend, but when I create a world, DF crashes and nothing is written to the error log. How do I even troubleshoot something like this?

May be more related to your entity.txt file, certain combinations (chat_worthy is shown to cause problems attached to certain positions), and too many non-playable civs if dwarves get edged out can cause a new world to not be playable.

More explicitly chat_worthy and title responsibilities like [RELIGION] can break explicitly

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: December 29, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »

for troubleshooting, I took out all entity files and creatures one-by-one until I found the specific culprit, but it seems to have the same-ish tags as the other creatures of very similar make. I could try taking out tags one-by-one until I find the culprit, but that is undesirable as it would take a long time to do, and not even find the issue if it turns out i am missing some required info.

:/

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: December 29, 2018, 06:27:28 pm »

Hey guys. I've been getting a real hold on DF modding, which is great, but I frequently run into niggling problems with custom attacks. My current slime knights will only push, which I've learnt is a sign their attacks aren't working. If someone could have a look at these RAWS and help me that'd be great! :D

Creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Body detail plan

Body parts
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:54:04 pm by Levity »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: December 29, 2018, 06:37:39 pm »

Any particular reason you've got two SWIPE attacks?

Also, why's its velocity at 10%? Might be a bit underwhelming.

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: December 29, 2018, 06:54:43 pm »

I'm running my game from the Revised mod - which totally reworks combat and materials.

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes salmon for their taste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: December 29, 2018, 10:00:09 pm »

Complex attacks require thought. Give it [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] so it can think without a brain.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: December 29, 2018, 10:54:59 pm »

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:32:13 am by Dunmeris »

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: December 30, 2018, 05:44:00 am »

Complex attacks require thought. Give it [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] so it can think without a brain.

Thanks for the assistance! I added the [THOUGHT] tag to the slime body, because I would like the slimes to die once they take enough damage, yet I am still having them insist on pushing each other around... If I take control of them in the arena, they flash with a pink cross, if that's any help? I'm trying to fix the problem atm.

Never mind! Managed to fiddle around and fix it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:33:58 am by Levity »

heatblade1212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: January 02, 2019, 05:43:56 pm »

Help updating a custom Creature to 0.44.12

Forgive me if this is the wrong place, a long time ago i created a "overpowered" creature for my game and updated it once to when it was required. now i need to update it again i think but i am years rusty and do not know where to begin to fix this creature.

some problems the creature has is as follows

1. Extremely wrinkled all the time, (i just did not want it to die from old age)
2. no description of wings when [L]ooked at.

https://pastebin.com/TYi9A1KN

Edit: im a noob at modding,. please correct me of any errors and roasting is fine too. my goal is the learn from my mistakes
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:45:41 pm by heatblade1212 »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 03, 2019, 12:21:58 am »

To which version did you last update it?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: January 03, 2019, 02:54:53 am »

Help updating a custom Creature to 0.44.12

Forgive me if this is the wrong place, a long time ago i created a "overpowered" creature for my game and updated it once to when it was required. now i need to update it again i think but i am years rusty and do not know where to begin to fix this creature.

some problems the creature has is as follows

1. Extremely wrinkled all the time, (i just did not want it to die from old age)
2. no description of wings when [L]ooked at.

https://pastebin.com/TYi9A1KN

Edit: im a noob at modding,. please correct me of any errors and roasting is fine too. my goal is the learn from my mistakes

oooh, i might actually know this one.

1. down at line 294, you've got this:
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
    [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_PEACH:1:DARK_TAN:1:ECRU:1:PALE_BROWN:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:PALE_PINK:1:PEACH:1:PINK:1:RAW_UMBER:1:SEPIA:1:TAN:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1]
                [TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
            [TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:WRINKLY:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
                [APP_MOD_RATE:1:YEARLY:0:100:30:0:NO_END]
                [APP_MOD_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
                [APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:0:0:0:1:25:50]

The only appearance modifier is wrinkly, so thats the only appearance that is going to load.

2. Similar issue, to give the wings a descriptor that shows up when you look at it, you need to SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:WINGS or SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:FEATHER and give it descriptors like you have for the other body parts or tissue layers.

heatblade1212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: January 03, 2019, 10:36:43 am »

oooh, i might actually know this one.

1. down at line 294, you've got this:
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
    [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_PEACH:1:DARK_TAN:1:ECRU:1:PALE_BROWN:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:PALE_PINK:1:PEACH:1:PINK:1:RAW_UMBER:1:SEPIA:1:TAN:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1]
                [TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
            [TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:WRINKLY:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
                [APP_MOD_RATE:1:YEARLY:0:100:30:0:NO_END]
                [APP_MOD_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
                [APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:0:0:0:1:25:50]

The only appearance modifier is wrinkly, so thats the only appearance that is going to load.

2. Similar issue, to give the wings a descriptor that shows up when you look at it, you need to SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:WINGS or SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:FEATHER and give it descriptors like you have for the other body parts or tissue layers.
so i deleted lines 294,295,296,297. maybe that will fix the problem.

as for the second problem
like this?

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:WINGS]   
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:25:70:90:100:110:130:200]
         [APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:30:60:90:110:150:190]
      [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:25:70:90:100:110:130:200]
         [APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:30:60:90:110:150:190]

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:FEATHER]
            [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GREY:1:SILVER:1:WHITE:1:SLATE_GRAY:1]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:01:10 am by heatblade1212 »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 365