Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 364

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 644996 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3390 on: January 20, 2019, 02:06:39 pm »

I think hillocks and forts need a non-mountain tile that is still acceptable biome to the civ, and they dont like deserts iirc. Like theyll settle partway on a mountain, but the half that is off the mountain also has to be desirable. You might have to change their settlement preferences to also like deserts. And mountain halls only exist along routes through mountains between fortresses, and fortresses also require a valid non-mountain biome adjacent, and hillocks to sustain them. So if they dont like deserts they wont expand.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: January 20, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »

To be more direct you will want http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token#BIOME_SUPPORT to detemine acceptable biomes and the rough strength of how much they prefer it, sometimes making them travel over distance to meet the next viable biome, seperate to start biome though that's a important one for having them generate at all, mainly regarding fortresses and sites with markets.

SETTLEMENT_BIOME like the wiki suggests would lay down suitable locations for hillocks type minor structures, dwarves by default have the settlement biomes availible to them, but low inclination with a 1 score besides mountain at 3 to actually settle there.

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes salmon for their taste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: January 23, 2019, 05:48:52 pm »

Can CHILD be used in castes?
Like, to have different castes reach adulthood at different times? I'm pretty sure you can as long as the creature doesn't have a general child setting.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: January 27, 2019, 05:58:09 am »

If it doesn't have a civilization or a biome to emerge into so it can integrate with populations, it wont appear, i hope you set up these contingencies. From my point of view that seems to be the problem if you're just creating the creature file with no conditions for it to turn up.

Unfortunately that's nothing to do with it. Dwarves don't actually have any Biome tags in their RAWs if you have a look. Hence you don't find them in the wild.

Assigned to an entity object, they will spawn. If you read my post properly you will see I mentioned the Drakken already have an entity file...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:00:46 am by Levity »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:00 am »

If it doesn't have a civilization or a biome to emerge into so it can integrate with populations, it wont appear, i hope you set up these contingencies. From my point of view that seems to be the problem if you're just creating the creature file with no conditions for it to turn up.

Unfortunately that's nothing to do with it. Dwarves don't actually have any Biome tags in their RAWs if you have a look. Hence you don't find them in the wild.

Assigned to an entity object, they will spawn. If you read my post properly you will see I mentioned the Drakken already have an entity file...

I was talking in regards to wild populations, which emigrate in small quantities to civs.

TechnoScrabble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: January 27, 2019, 06:55:11 pm »

To make a race convert spouses from other races, does it absolutely need the night hunter tag as well, or will just spouse converter work?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3397 on: January 28, 2019, 05:52:17 am »

It needs to be a wild creature with the night creature hunter token, yeah - civilized races will not kidnap people in worldgen and turn them into spouses, though.

TechnoScrabble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:24 am »

Is there a way to add specific creatures to an entity's trained animals list instead of lumping it in with a group by adding things like [Common_domestic]?

Say I wanted to give the dwarves giant mountain goats, what tags would I add to goat's raws and the dorf's entity raw?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3399 on: February 01, 2019, 09:02:57 am »

Use the new animal tokens in the dwarf civ file - something like this:
[ANIMAL]
      [ANIMAL_TOKEN:GIANT_GOAT_MOUNTAIN]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
                [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

Alternatively, you can add a creature class to them, i.e [CREATURE_CLASS:DWARF_PET] and then do this in the civ file:
[ANIMAL]
      [ANIMAL_CLASS:DWARF_PET]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
                [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: February 03, 2019, 04:45:36 pm »

I'm curious. How far could someone go with underground civs? Like I know they can't have sites, but what else can you give them exactly?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3401 on: February 04, 2019, 04:57:42 am »

Aside from different weapons/armor and the ability to have metal equipment, really nothing else.

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: February 10, 2019, 04:29:51 pm »

I'm having some issues getting a modded civilization to spawn. I want the modded civ to primarily start and settle in frozen areas, and I wanted to give them dwarf-type sites to do it with. However, I can't seem to be able to get them to even spawn in the first place. I tried weighing them towards mountains in case fortresses were hardcoded to only spawn in mountainous areas, but even still they don't seem to want to show up. Any ideas why this is happening?

Edit: Oh! I should post the site weights I'm using as well.
Code: [Select]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[LIKES_SITE:CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[LIKES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]

[EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:TUNDRA:8]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:GLACIER:4]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:FOREST_TAIGA:2]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:6]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_OCEAN:5]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:MOUNTAIN:1]
[SETTLEMENT_BIOME:FOREST_TAIGA]
[SETTLEMENT_BIOME:TUNDRA]
[SETTLEMENT_BIOME:GLACIER]
[SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:33:39 pm by Verdant_Squire »

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:59 am »

Hello,
I am having problems with a creature I am writing: I can butcher them, but the results are odd.

It's a simple immobile, two body parts creature (could be made in a single part too). It only has a single tissue, which I want to be a food source available raw and cooked, possibly classed as plant material.
When butchered, instead of what I hoped, it leaves just a single "body part" in the stocks - not edible, not cookable, not stored under the "Plants" menu.

I tried looking at the wiki, both for tokens and modding guides, but I cannot seem to make this work - I am not able to learn what I am doing wrong.
I am sure I am overlooking something very evident to a more experienced modder, but I really don't know why this doesn't produce any kind of food when butchered.

I suspect something is amiss in the tissue layer, which should be just one layer of mushroom tissue.

Can anybody help me on this?

The relevant  tissue and material parts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The whole WIP version of the creature raw, just in case:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: February 19, 2019, 11:37:29 am »

I believe you need at least two tissue layers in order to be able to butcher something and get a product from it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 364