Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 645964 times)

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3420 on: March 13, 2019, 07:08:16 pm »

I've recently decided to come back to the game after taking a year or two of break from it.
I like making a new creature or two every time I come back for fun, and this time I wanted to make a creature to replace cats in dwarven societies.
They're cat-sized jumping spiders. However, I can't get them to occasionally generate webs. I tried adding [WEBBER], but it seems to not be working that way.
The creature's raw:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is there a way to make them act like the vermin spiders, or is there a way to create an interaction that would make them 'spray web' in a very small amount towards nothing in particular?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:12:28 pm by ViolinAnon »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3421 on: March 14, 2019, 06:33:42 am »

Is there a way to make them act like the vermin spiders, or is there a way to create an interaction that would make them 'spray web' in a very small amount towards nothing in particular?
Maybe have them spit a glob of web?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes salmon for their taste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: March 14, 2019, 07:48:30 am »

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [CDI:ADV_NAME:Spit]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:NEGATIVE_SOCIAL_RESPONSE]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:TORMENT]
      [CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
      [CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPIT:LIQUID_GLOB]
      [CDI:VERB:spit:spits:NA]
      [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
      [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
      [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
      [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:20]
Not like that, though.
1 Globs can't become webs. It needs to be a web attack.
2 This requires a negatively-viewed target creature.

A self targeted GCS web attack ought to work. May or may not need [CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_SELF].
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: March 14, 2019, 11:26:09 am »

A self targeted GCS web attack ought to work. May or may not need [CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_SELF].
I've just tested it out, but it doesn't appear to work. I've tried without [CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_SELF], with [CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_SELF] and with [CDI:USAGE_HINT:GREETING] (And with both at the same time.)
I also tried with a WAIT_PERIOD of 1.
I've tested it out in the object testing arena only, with about twenty spiders that are all on the same team to avoid fighting.
No dice.
Is it possible that the web spawns on them and is instantly destroyed?

I might end up making them egglayers and use Kazoo's Silk Egg mod, but it wouldn't be my preferred solution.

EDIT:
The solution was to make the target not SELF. I've ended up using this:
Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Spray web]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:GREETING]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_TOKEN:LB]
[CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SILK:WEB_SPRAY]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:2]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]
And it works!
I might tweak a few values, like the target_range and wait_period, but for now it seems to work fine in the object testing arena.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:59:05 pm by ViolinAnon »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: March 14, 2019, 03:53:24 pm »

Yeah a wait period like that would be attrocious for fort mode, id go with 250-300ish.

I cant get the image out of my head though of these little spiders getting so excited to see somebody they spray webs all over them like an excited puppy making pee rings around your feet when they see you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: March 14, 2019, 05:22:31 pm »

Yeah a wait period like that would be attrocious for fort mode, id go with 250-300ish.

I cant get the image out of my head though of these little spiders getting so excited to see somebody they spray webs all over them like an excited puppy making pee rings around your feet when they see you.
Seems like a reasonable number, yeah.
The lower range helps a bit, too.

And yeah, that an adorable image. At first I was thinking more about it being about the spider leaving strands of safety line around.
But I like your interpretation better.

EDIT:
Tried it out in Fortress mode, and it appears to cause a lot of job cancellation because dwarves get 'webbed' by walking into the stray webs.
I've checked, and the creature definitely does not have [THICKWEB].
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:00:16 pm by ViolinAnon »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: March 14, 2019, 10:35:33 pm »

oh shoot, yeah, anything created by an interaction like that actually counts as a thick web. oops.

Might really have to milk it or make it lay eggs and convert either to silk thread via interaction.

You can also make a vermin spider that makes webs like a cave spider, make it a colony_external, and keep it in a cage. It will spawn more of itself outside the cage constantly and those will spawn webs. I have an example here:

Sadly they dont actually spawn in caverns as hives, so you have to actually catch your own and cage them, or make them available to your civ and import them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: March 14, 2019, 10:39:38 pm »

oh shoot, yeah, anything created by an interaction like that actually counts as a thick web. oops.

Might really have to milk it or make it lay eggs and convert either to silk thread via interaction.

I might be interested in the milking solution actually. Can you give me more details about it?
For now, I've been considering the webbing an additional challenge. I've made a spider 'kennel', which is a pasture with all the spiders in a closed room. The room is near a loom and the only dwarf going in there is the weaver who's collecting the web, and the dwarf who brings spiders to the pasture.

But milking sounds fun and appropriate.

Hetsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: March 15, 2019, 12:24:13 am »

I've got a question regarding syndromes, specifically one from an attack with a: [SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VENOM:LIQUID:100:100]. I made a fairly barebones syndrome: [CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:50:PROB:100:ABRUPT:START:1:END:2000:DWF_STRETCH:7]. I've done several tests in the arena, and I get full paralysis in as little as 40 ish to 140 ish Adventure Mode ticks. But the kicker is that every creature attacked and effected in a short time (my test was about 10 AM ticks, 5 1:1 attacks) will succumb to paralysis at the same time on the same AM tick. But sometimes, when a creature gets enraged from being attacked, it with instantly paralysis them. Am I right to assume that some events, like enrage, will trigger a status effect check, but otherwise it will only check on what I assume is the DF tick, every 72 AM ticks? Or is there something I'm missing?

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: March 15, 2019, 04:44:22 pm »

I am working on a creature that has a bony head plate, that can be used to ram foes, but looking through the raws, unsure how to do this. I was thinking making it a shell type, but do not know if that can be spun off to be a damaging special attack
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3430 on: March 15, 2019, 04:45:29 pm »

I might be interested in the milking solution actually. Can you give me more details about it?
Workshop reaction of Spider X's milk bucket (or five buckets, for difficulty of harvesting ) goes in, silk thread comes out?
Or one bucket of spidermilk(TM) in, one thread-stack out, 80% chance of getting one spidermilk(TM) bucket out. For five threads from one bucket.

Various bucket reactions, in case you/someone need examples:

And thread output like
   [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]  [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000]
but code the thread to be one of your mod's silk materials.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:52:18 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: March 16, 2019, 11:00:24 am »

Workshop reaction of Spider X's milk bucket (or five buckets, for difficulty of harvesting ) goes in, silk thread comes out?
Or one bucket of spidermilk(TM) in, one thread-stack out, 80% chance of getting one spidermilk(TM) bucket out. For five threads from one bucket.

*SNIP*

And thread output like
   [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]  [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000]
but code the thread to be one of your mod's silk materials.

Thanks a bunch!
I've ended up making the following reaction:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:SPIN_SPIDERMILK] Makes thread from spidermilk.
[NAME:spin spidermilk]
[BUILDING:FARMER:CUSTOM_SHIFT_S]
[REAGENT:spidermilk:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[UNROTTEN][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SILK_MAT]
[REAGENT:milk container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:spidermilk]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:spidermilk:SILK_MAT] 
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000]
[PRODUCT:80:1:GET_ITEM_DATA_FROM_REAGENT:spidermilk:NONE]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:milk container]
[SKILL:WEAVING]

And it appeared to be working fine after a rudimentary test.
(Except for the part I forgot 'Shift S' was already assigned to something in the farmer's workshop)
I'm quite happy with this solution over the web spray that was a fairly big danger (getting webbed on a trap, in a fight, etc) or the egg-to-silk mod.
It feels more organic to have the dwarves milk the spider for the raw web, then spin it into a thread.
Now I'm wondering if they'll cook with the spidermilk or make cheese out of it.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: March 16, 2019, 01:38:08 pm »

Quote from: entity token wiki
[CREATURE]
The type of creature that will inhabit the civilization. If multiple creature types are specified, each civilization will randomly choose one of the creatures.

If I was to add creatures multiple times to an entry, would that increase the percentage chance of specific creatures creating those civs? 

[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [CREATURE:DWARF]
   [CREATURE:GNOME]

If this went through and made 20 civs, would this result in ~75% of these civs being dwarven and ~25 gnomes? or would it ignore (or get confused by) the duplicates and be about 50/50?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: March 16, 2019, 02:10:31 pm »

Absolutely no idea. Try it, generate 5-10 worlds and record the results, and let us know what the mix of races is.

If you remove every other civ from the game, then you only have that one to look at, which would make it faster.
I make Spellcrafts!

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: March 16, 2019, 04:31:17 pm »

Absolutely no idea. Try it, generate 5-10 worlds and record the results, and let us know what the mix of races is.

If you remove every other civ from the game, then you only have that one to look at, which would make it faster.

good plan, it looks like that is exactly what will happen.  I went with this:

[CREATURE:ELF]

World 1 - 8 dwarf, 2 elf
World 2 - 9 dwarf, 3 elf
World 3 - 9 dwarf, 3 elf
World 4 - 9 dwarf, 3 elf
World 5 - 4 dwarf, 1 elf

then for fun I changed it to:

[CREATURE:CAVE_FISH_MAN]
   [CREATURE:WORM_MAN]            
   [CREATURE:LEECH_MAN]            
   [CREATURE:PLUMP_HELMET_MAN]      

world 6 - 9 plump, 3 cave fish, 0 leech, 0 worm
world 7 - 9 plump, 3 cave fish, 0 leech, 0 worm

leech and worm don't seem to work so I changed it again to

[CREATURE:CAVE_FISH_MAN]
   [CREATURE:BAT_MAN]
   [CREATURE:ANT_MAN]

i got 2 ant, 2 bat, 2 cave fish, 6 plump

Pretty cool, I'll add this to the wiki soon.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 365