Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 363

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 642587 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3435 on: March 16, 2019, 06:54:53 pm »

Thats good science and good thinking updating the wiki too. Which doesnt always happen.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: March 16, 2019, 08:20:37 pm »

Thanks, mission accomplished!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token#Gameplay

Maybe regularly updating the wiki should be more of a priority considering how many new players will likely be coming asking for help whenever Steam happens.  I know I've had to ask plenty of questions that I couldn't find on the wiki but found on reddit or the forums.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: March 17, 2019, 12:22:35 pm »

Use the new animal tokens in the dwarf civ file - something like this:
[ANIMAL]
      [ANIMAL_TOKEN:GIANT_GOAT_MOUNTAIN]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
                [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

Alternatively, you can add a creature class to them, i.e [CREATURE_CLASS:DWARF_PET] and then do this in the civ file:
[ANIMAL]
      [ANIMAL_CLASS:DWARF_PET]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
                [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

Can I use this to add a specific animals that cannot be tamed?  I'm trying to not mess with creature files if I can avoid it, but I'd like to make Giant Earthworms pack animals for some cave civs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: March 17, 2019, 01:14:33 pm »

You should be able to, yes. I made a fish vermin "spell essence" a domestic creature for specific civs.

But with that you might run into the issue of giant earthworms not having a pack animal token in their creature raws, which could result in them dumping their stuff when they enter the map or other weird behavior. That would be one line youd have to add, but if this is a published mod then that would conflict with other mods that want to modify that same file; one is going to overwrite the changes the other made.

You could make a duplicate (change the ID) creature in its own file and use that, just call it a pack worm, and remove its biome tokens so it doesnt show up in the wild, so as not to get confused with the regular wild giant earthworm.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: March 17, 2019, 03:07:25 pm »

Thanks, for the suggestions, so using this method I could make untamable animals pets/domestic, but any of these tags are unlikely to work?

ANIMAL_ALWAYS_MOUNT
ANIMAL_ALWAYS_WAGON_PULLER
ANIMAL_ALWAYS_SIEGE
ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PACK_ANIMAL

I'm trying to make sense of the this Animal section.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token#Animal_definitions

And using the ANIMAL_CLASS only allows you to use GENERAL_POISON, EDIBLE_GROUND_BUG, and MAMMAL correct?
I should make a Wiki Category list of animals with those class tokens, I have no idea what they apply to.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: March 17, 2019, 04:13:45 pm »

Classes are arbitrary for the most part except when something (like a syndrome, interaction, or entity animal definition) calls on that class. But to my knowledge those are the only ones regularly used in the vanilla raws, so if you wanted to include a small number of animals it is easier to call them by ID and not worry about classes. On creatures you create you can use your own creature classes as well as any of the vanilla ones you think should apply.

But for those tokens, i would make sure animals selected as mounts, pullers, or pack animals at least have the corresponding creature tokens, like mount_exotic etc. But i could just be afraid of bugs that dont exist...

Ok, so i need some advice here too. Ive got these old creatures, the komeng, which im remodeling to match their current lore. So now theyre supposed to be humanoids made of plant and earthen material. Specifically porcelain exoskeletons on some parts, bark skin, wooden muscle, and hematite bones, with tree sap for blood. All thats in pseudo-ready-to-go right now, but one thing is still causing problems;
all of these materials fracture easily, theyre very brittle, not at all like the skin and muscle of regular animals. Its easy enough to hit them with a mace and watch limbs fly off in an arc.

What material/tissue properties can i change to make each of these behave more like the tissues its supposed to replace? It makes sense for the ceramic and stone to fracture and remain inorganics, but the wood and bark (which is also based off the wood template) id like to behave more like something living muscle/skin and take bruises and lacerations that dont mean fracturing and flying off.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:19:01 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: March 18, 2019, 08:42:40 pm »

Thanks for the explanation, maybe I'll get the time to experiment with those eventually and see if problems occur.

Quailman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: March 19, 2019, 11:26:12 am »

Is there a method to affect the starting clothes an adventurer has, aside from totally deleting clothes from the entity?  All I really want to do is reduce the number of articles of clothing that adventurers and NPCs have.  Every single person having hats, socks, cloaks, etc, etc, just results in an overly cluttered inventory.  I'm perfectly happy to remove socks entirely, but I don't really want to do that for cloaks or robes. I just don't want every person to have every possible clothing slot filled.

I tried setting every type of armor or clothing to RARE but that didn't seem to have any effect.  In case rarity was relative, I tried setting all of the clothes like robes that fit over regular shirts to be rare, but everybody still had one.  Any other ideas?  I know you guys are good for crafty solutions. 

Maybe I can give the civilization access to some material that instantly evaporates or something?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: March 19, 2019, 01:27:03 pm »

That last bit is a possibility. Careful in fort mode though; if their clothes vanish on entering the map, they will try to put on new clothes if there are any in stockpiles, so the end result is theyre just demanding more clothing on site because their pants evaporated.

The game tries to fill up a persons inventory completely, automatically, and rarity only affects the chance a civ will have an item available over all, but it will select a couple even if everything is rare iirc. Theres not like an easy way to say "people of this culture should prefer to wear only one garment on each body part at a time" though god that would be sweet if there was...

You could also edit the items themselves; give coats and cloaks etc that go over things [shaped], denying them wearing more than one at any given time, but that will also prevent them wearing shaped armor like breastplates. You could also reduce the layer permit on items, or increase the space they use. That will reduce the total number they are capable of wearing, in total or on that layer im not clear. But again, if there isnt enough room left, soldiers might not wear armor, or wear only armor without any clothing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:29:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Quailman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: March 19, 2019, 04:04:40 pm »

I just gave it a try and it turns out the evaporation trick did the job pretty well.  I just made the HEATDAM point really low for a few common materials and it added a lot of variation as far as how much clothes any given person was wearing.  Sometimes it went... too far.  I found a guy wearing only a loincloth.  But I ought to be able to mitigate that by carefully targeting certain materials and restricting which materials certain types of clothes can be made with.  For example, if most forms of plant fiber cloth immediately evaporate then that will make articles of clothing that can only be made from cloth more rare than articles that can be made from cloth, or silk, or wool, etc. 

So say I wanted to make a civilization based on Rome where people tend to wear long tunics and such without pants, but I still want people to sometimes wear pants. I could make sure that the tunics are based off of materials that won't evaporate, while pants are very likely to be made out of materials that evaporate.

Definitely requires some trickery and only works for adventure mode, but it does help give a certain feel to a culture.

EDIT:  Actually, I was thinking that you could control whether a particular type of clothing could be made from wool, but actually it's lumped together entirely with cloth.  So the only control you have is whether it is leather, cloth, or metal.  So you could still make sure that essential articles are leather and make most forms of cloth evaporate, but it is a much lower degree of control with more of a sacrifice.  You wouldn't notice much if a culture lacked wool, but it could kind of pop out that every person is wearing leather underwear.  It also makes it harder to limit the change to a single entity because you are drawing from a more limited pool of materials.

Plus, different regions will behave quite differently based on what materials you choose to make evaporate.  If you pick rope reed, for example, one town might be entirely unaffected because none grows nearby.  Meanwhile a town across the world with few alternatives to rope reed ends up filled with nudists.  Now this could probably be mitigated by making several versions of each plant that produce fibers that are different only in whether or not they will evaporate when turned into clothes... but things are quickly getting unwieldy and it's probably not worth the effort.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:41:57 pm by Quailman »

Fish Preferred

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes salmon for their taste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: March 20, 2019, 11:40:00 am »

Is there a method to affect the starting clothes an adventurer has, aside from totally deleting clothes from the entity?  All I really want to do is reduce the number of articles of clothing that adventurers and NPCs have.  Every single person having hats, socks, cloaks, etc, etc, just results in an overly cluttered inventory.  I'm perfectly happy to remove socks entirely, but I don't really want to do that for cloaks or robes. I just don't want every person to have every possible clothing slot filled.

I tried setting every type of armor or clothing to RARE but that didn't seem to have any effect.  In case rarity was relative, I tried setting all of the clothes like robes that fit over regular shirts to be rare, but everybody still had one.  Any other ideas?  I know you guys are good for crafty solutions. 

Maybe I can give the civilization access to some material that instantly evaporates or something?
Just remove the unwanted clothing types from their entity and they won't have access to them.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: March 21, 2019, 09:26:16 am »

How does the domestication of wild animals during world gen works? Is there a way for my civ to randomly get access to animals that were not defined in the entity raws?

I don’t want my civ to have a standard list of available animals and instead get different options on each world. So far the closest i ve come to this goal was by using a series of

[ANIMAL]
 [ANIMAL_TOKEN:<token>]

but that still means that the list is predefined and the animals will always be available once the civ settles on the relevant tiles/biomes.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: March 21, 2019, 01:07:10 pm »

[PET] and [PET_EXOTIC] mostly

Dasistgutja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: March 24, 2019, 03:34:40 am »

Hey all,

I'm having trouble getting my creatures to show up. It's really quite frustrating - I'm sure it's just a token or indent somewhere I've missed as before I tried making them into a civilisation they were showing up as wild animals just fine.
Now whenever I make a world I get a couple civs with 0-5 population, even though their castes and breeding rates should see them in the tens of thousands.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14308

So they're the bugs from starship troopers. I'm sure the issue is in creature_arachnid.txt as the newly added food bugs aren't spawning yet either.

Help!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3449 on: March 24, 2019, 05:51:57 am »

I'm having trouble getting my creatures to show up. It's really quite frustrating - I'm sure it's just a token or indent somewhere I've missed as before I tried making them into a civilisation they were showing up as wild animals just fine.
Try adding this and this to their civ:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 363