Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 362

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 635000 times)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3840 on: July 16, 2019, 10:19:19 pm »

How can I make a syndrome fast-acting enough to be effective in combat?
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3841 on: July 16, 2019, 10:36:26 pm »

a low start time, with either a PEAK that is close or ABRUPT_START

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3842 on: July 17, 2019, 08:45:05 am »

How can I make a syndrome fast-acting enough to be effective in combat?

death by suffocation, lungs paralysis: (e.g inhaled spores)
[CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:1500:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:40:END:200] death

twenty CE_PAIN lines might faint a foe for N seconds:
[CE_PAIN:SEV:200:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:BP:BY_TYPE:NERVOUS:ALL:START:30:PEAK:60:END:1200]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: July 18, 2019, 05:03:24 pm »

edit: woops, this would go in gen

edit2: actually, what happens when a creature lacks LITTERSIZE? how does it determine how many offspring a cat or dog produces?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:59:20 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: July 18, 2019, 06:04:19 pm »

edit: woops, this would go in gen

edit2: actually, what happens when a creature lacks LITTERSIZE? how does it determine how many offspring a cat or dog produces?

I think the lack of any birthing tags they default to 1-4 (single and twins being more common, followed by triplets, and quads are rare but possible)

LITTERSIZE or in the case of egg layers CLUTCH_SIZE lets you define the min and max manually, rather than leaving it to the defaults.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: July 18, 2019, 11:35:06 pm »

aaalright I'm having some trouble determining when I'd use by_category/token/type

I'm probably trying to do too much, but what I'm going for is
  • hairless tail that has it's own color (think rat tail)
  • bodyfur, but generally not on the head
  • coat variation, pattern w/secondary color
  • hair on the head (no facial hair, but maybe some sort of cat-whisker thing going on?)

I know how to set colors, and I'll probably figure out coat patterns or multi-color from other creatures (unless it just doesn't exist)
If I've got it right I do bodyhair and call it fur, basically taking from the Troll
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: July 19, 2019, 12:06:40 am »

aaalright I'm having some trouble determining when I'd use by_category/token/type

I'm probably trying to do too much, but what I'm going for is
  • hair on the head (no facial hair, but maybe some sort of cat-whisker thing going on?)

Questions followed by answers
  • I'm probably trying to do too much, but what I'm going for is
    • BY_TOKEN is the direct ID of a body part. An example is RH for "Right Hand"
    • BY_TYPE is the functional type of a bodypart (select by) so if you used GRASP any body part that has GRASP token will be selected
    • BY_CATEGORY select parts that share the category (this is a custom_id so you can make your own CATEGORYs for body parts when you define them)
    • the usual BDP for laying tissues doesn't do hair, so basically just add TAIL in the [BODY:] definition and you're set. Then just select the TAILs skin tissue and color it differently than the rest of the skin
    • Might need some micro managing, or create your own BDP that will layer hair on everything else but the head
    • There are already color pattern types you can use found in: descriptor_pattern_special.txt you can also make your own file and create your own color patterns
    • secondary color if you mean by "the fur on his belly is light brown, but the rest of his fur is black with yellow stripes" then you can just juke the system by selecting another part of the hair (or even another tissue completely) and just fake it to say it's another color by doing [TLCM_NOUN:belly fur:SINGULAR] then in another tissue [TLCM_NOUN:fur:SINGULAR] and apply colors as seen fit
    • Don't use the facial hair BDP and instead define the whisker tissue template manually and layer it on the head with the optional final ARG of FRONT. [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CHEEK_WHISKERS:CHEEK_WHISKERS_TEMPLATE][TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TYPE:HEAD:CHEEK_WHISKERS:FRONT]

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: July 19, 2019, 01:19:23 pm »

I'm having problems with 2 mods I'm working on. One is  Darth & Droids joke, creating tuna booze oil as a fish-based brewable. The problem with it is that I can't seem to find anything online about using animals in a brewing reaction. I have added a material reaction product to a creature to use in the process, but either it doesn't spawn or just doesn't get caught.
The second mod is a creature that I can spawn through testing arena but that crashes (without error message) when viewed. If left without viewing it functions properly. It was designed to allow for easier silk production due to the issues of finding that I'm out of thread for a mood due to dorfs using all thread to spin cloth. What reasons might there be for a creature causing the game to crash when viewed, without any transformations?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: July 19, 2019, 01:56:19 pm »

Is there a maximum value for [CLUSTER_NUMBER]? If I set it too high, the creature doesnt appear to show up at all.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: July 19, 2019, 02:37:52 pm »

I'm having problems with 2 mods I'm working on. One is  Darth & Droids joke, creating tuna booze oil as a fish-based brewable. The problem with it is that I can't seem to find anything online about using animals in a brewing reaction. I have added a material reaction product to a creature to use in the process, but either it doesn't spawn or just doesn't get caught.
The second mod is a creature that I can spawn through testing arena but that crashes (without error message) when viewed. If left without viewing it functions properly. It was designed to allow for easier silk production due to the issues of finding that I'm out of thread for a mood due to dorfs using all thread to spin cloth. What reasons might there be for a creature causing the game to crash when viewed, without any transformations?

You will need a custom reaction to "brew" creatures or their parts. But since you're saying "Tuna" it's probably a FISH or FISH_RAW item type which won't ever be targeted by vanilla brewing reactions.

Is there a maximum value for [CLUSTER_NUMBER]? If I set it too high, the creature doesnt appear to show up at all.

not sure, I remember using numbers 50:100 before. And seemed to work fine

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: July 19, 2019, 05:19:34 pm »

I'm back on my bullshit again so I'm back with questions

==Color Pattern==
-can I do [CP_COLOR:BROWN:1:BURNT_UMBER:1] ? those are just examples, but I'm wondering if this can work the same way as TL_COLOR_MODIFIER
-Separately, how do I use [COLOR_PATTERN]? Do I just insert it where TL_COLOR would go?

==Hair==
If I have this right what I'll be doing is declaring hair, and declaring a separately made BDP that does bodyhair.
If I've got it right I can just duplicate the bodyhair plan and edit it accordingly for parts that would appear on my species, and remove the head-related ones

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: July 19, 2019, 08:51:47 pm »

Working on an expanded guild system workshop, and I need to know;

What's the skill token for Critical Thinker, Logician, Mathematician, Astronomer, Chemist, Geographer, Optics engineer and Fluid engineer?

Code: [Select]
[SKILL:TEACHING](I know that the Teaching one looks like this.)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: July 19, 2019, 09:07:39 pm »

skill token

most of them should be here. I saw at least a few, but I don't know about if they're all present and accounted for

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: July 20, 2019, 01:21:29 am »

I'm back on my bullshit again so I'm back with questions

==Color Pattern==
-can I do [CP_COLOR:BROWN:1:BURNT_UMBER:1] ? those are just examples, but I'm wondering if this can work the same way as TL_COLOR_MODIFIER
-Separately, how do I use [COLOR_PATTERN]? Do I just insert it where TL_COLOR would go?

==Hair==
If I have this right what I'll be doing is declaring hair, and declaring a separately made BDP that does bodyhair.
If I've got it right I can just duplicate the bodyhair plan and edit it accordingly for parts that would appear on my species, and remove the head-related ones

find or create a DESCRIPTOR_COLOR or DESCRIPTOR_PATTERN ie an example from vanilla
[COLOR_PATTERN:MOTTLED_BLACK_WHITE]
[PATTERN:MOTTLED]
[CP_COLOR:BLACK]
[CP_COLOR:WHITE]

then int he creature when you want to color a tissue use

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:MOTTLED_BLACK_WHITE:1]

@Hair yeah, so you don't have to declare two types of hair (materials or tissues, one is enough) but yeah either create a custom BDP for laying body hair and remove any parts you don't want to get hairy.

Working on an expanded guild system workshop, and I need to know;

What's the skill token for Critical Thinker, Logician, Mathematician, Astronomer, Chemist, Geographer, Optics engineer and Fluid engineer?

[SKILL:TEACHING](I know that the Teaching one looks like this.)

from the wiki that Ianflow references (or at least the rip from the wiki I use which is from the latest 2014 page)

??? CRITICAL_THINKINGv0.42.01 Critical thinker Critical Thinking Knowledge
 ??? LOGICv0.42.01 Logician Logic Knowledge
 ??? MATHEMATICSv0.42.01 Mathematician Mathematics Knowledge
 ??? ASTRONOMYv0.42.01 Astronomer Astronomy Knowledge
 ??? CHEMISTRYv0.42.01 Chemist Chemistry Knowledge
 ??? GEOGRAPHYv0.42.01 Geographer Geography Knowledge
 ??? OPTICS_ENGINEERv0.42.01 Optics engineer Optics Engineering Knowledge
 ??? FLUID_ENGINEERv0.42.01 Fluid engineer Fluid Engineering Knowledge
 ??? PAPERMAKINGv0.42.01 Papermaker Papermaking Labor
 ??? BOOKBINDINGv0.42.01 Bookbinder Bookbinding Labor

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: July 20, 2019, 01:14:24 pm »

ty! I'm going to get back to it today, but I do want to doublecheck, (1) can be done, but (2) can't?
[COLOR_PATTERN:MOTTLED_BLACK_WHITE]
[CP_COLOR:WHITE]

[COLOR_PATTERN:MOTTLED_NAME]
[CP_COLOR:WHITE:1:GREY:1]

If that's the case I can just declare multiple patterns and set it up as [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:MOTTLED_BLACK_WHITE:1:MOTTLED_WHITE_BLACK:1] or another where multiple (essentially the same) patterns are possible.

I'm looking forward to the horror that'll result when I actually draw these fuckers
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 362