Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 364

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 645242 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3855 on: July 20, 2019, 04:27:53 pm »

yeah your second color won't work, because that's not how the pattern is done. you could use

Code: [Select]
[COLOR_PATTERN:MOTTLED_NAME]
[PATTERN:MOTTLED]
[CP_COLOR:BLACK]
[CP_COLOR:WHITE]
[CP_COLOR:GREY]

also note the ":1" that is in colors is the ratio of using that color IN a creature, don't put it in any other files if they don't specify that they take more arguments

something in a creature like [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:5:BURNT_UMBER:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:3]  that 5 our of 10 of this creature will be brown, 3 out of 10 copper, and the remainder are evenly cinnamon or burnt umber.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:29:37 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: July 20, 2019, 06:05:47 pm »

ty! I was hoping the syntax was fine with that argument, but oh well.
I'll just set up several patterns to run through the color modifier (I'm familiar with the ratio system. I'd already set it up for most of the body now)

edit: Ah, I did not realize that was how IRIS and PUPIL worked too. I'm not seeing them used twice, so I can only assume that the [color=white) and [color=black) in each iris file is the schlera and pupil respectively, and that the PUPIL file either works with the rest of the eye being black, or just the iris and the pupil being colored.
I'm not sure how the game reads these on print, but that means I'd need to set up patterns for each IRIS/PUPIL combination I planned, just like I'll be doing for the fur. On the upside that's a relatively easy thing to work with, as it'll let me prevent bad color combinations for eyes I guess.

edit2: I won't be using it for this, but I just realized that you can color nails and claim all members of the species paint there's (tho iirc nails aren't in-game?). then realized the homestuck mod probably gives the trolls orange nails like canon....
anyway the more open I learn dorf fort is the better things get

EDIT3: ok so just to clarify, how does the game handle it if you declared something like [PATTERN:STRIATED]? How does it handle printing that in a description, or does this do little to effect that? I'm wanting to make sure if I can declare new [PATTERN:]'s or if they're hard-coded. I can't find much on striped/spotted/mottled patterns and if they're hard-coded, or much usage in creature raws (if it's never used I am happy it exists regardless).
This has added more work than I anticipated at each leg of things than I thought, but at the same time it's fairly exciting just to see what I can and can't do.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:47:04 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: July 20, 2019, 08:59:45 pm »

I won't be using it for this, but I just realized that you can color nails and claim all members of the species paint there's (tho iirc nails aren't in-game?).
ugh.. where do people come up with the fact there are no nails? The scratch attack basically uses them so where are people getting this info?? It's the most maddening misinfomation that I've heard recently

like anyone (this isn't directed at you) just needs to look at the section where tissues and materials are defined to see where it says [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE],[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE] then it layers the NAIL tissues on teh front of fingers and toes. So people not having NAILs is just insane rambling

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: July 20, 2019, 10:12:43 pm »

So it's infamously known that multiple creatures chosen to inhabit a civilization are just randomly selected from the list, but on a more useful level, did Toady also choose to do the same for languages?
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: July 20, 2019, 11:08:09 pm »

On a similar level to how sites are hard-coded that makes it really frustrating for me. Learned that recently and it's put a damper on a future modding project involving another source of dark forts.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: July 21, 2019, 12:50:28 am »

EDIT3: ok so just to clarify, how does the game handle it if you declared something like [PATTERN:STRIATED]? How does it handle printing that in a description, or does this do little to effect that? I'm wanting to make sure if I can declare new [PATTERN:]'s or if they're hard-coded. I can't find much on striped/spotted/mottled patterns and if they're hard-coded, or much usage in creature raws (if it's never used I am happy it exists regardless).
This has added more work than I anticipated at each leg of things than I thought, but at the same time it's fairly exciting just to see what I can and can't do.

I don't think we can make our own PATTERN types, all I know is you can use IRIS_EYE, PUPIL_EYE, SPOTS, STRIPES, MOTTLED since it's all I can find in the base game.
You can however make your own COLORs because they also take a WORD (language_words.txt) so you can actually make something like "Rusty" as a color, and define a pattern of mottled Grey and Rust to describe say some sort of abandoned robot "It's iron chassis is mottled grey and rust" or whatever.

Some people bypass the limited body part descriptors by using colors (say you wanted to say their upper chest fun bags are saggy, you could create a color that uses the word SAG, then color a tissue on said bodypart that, so that it appears as a description on the creature)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: July 21, 2019, 09:16:41 pm »

-rusty
-sag

Oh my god that's genius. Once again I love this game and it's modding community

I think I'm doing alright now. I just need to rework the attribute values, set up the eye patterns, and then I should be good to go

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3862 on: July 22, 2019, 05:20:59 am »

... saggy funbags...?
Combat not gruesome enough? Just add the male and female organs!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:07:07 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: July 22, 2019, 09:46:00 am »

I don't think we're allowed to post that stuff, the last guy who hosted such a mod on the dffd had it taken down and was warned they'd be banned if they did it again iirc. Even the succubus mod doesn't include tiddies.

That said, yes, saggy jiggly funbags everywhere. Especially when they get chopped off and end up in the trees
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:53:26 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3864 on: July 22, 2019, 11:37:56 am »

Got a question about the fire immunity code - by that I mean this:
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
[HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
[IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_MELTING_POINT:55000]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_BOILING_POINT:57000]
[SPEC_HEAT:30000]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:BLOOD]
[PLUS_MATERIAL:PUS]
         [PLUS_MATERIAL:SPIT]
         [PLUS_MATERIAL:SWEAT]
         [PLUS_MATERIAL:TEARS]
[MELTING_POINT:10000]
I've noticed that when I use this code, blood, sweat, pus and tears correctly have a normal temperature - however, spitting on someone sets them on fire. Why is that? I'm not entirely sure what I should remove from this code to make that not be the case.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: July 22, 2019, 11:42:58 am »

Maybe the spit is coming out at the critters homeotherm temperature. Is that set at a flame-inducing level?

You could give those materials a safe fixed temperature, but it would make it so they can't freeze/boil
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3866 on: July 22, 2019, 11:54:37 am »

Nah, their homeotherm is normal.
The bizarre thing is that I did a similar fix for gas materials (BOILING_POINT set to 10000) - in those cases, it appears to work as normal, without causing fire damage. The only issue is with liquids used for interactions, whether spit or venoms or similar.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: July 22, 2019, 11:58:42 am »

Weird... You'd probably have to set it to a fixed temperature then.
I make Spellcrafts!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3868 on: July 22, 2019, 12:00:52 pm »

I'll try that and see if it works.

EDIT: It...seems to have worked, though now the spatters seem to evaporate quickly. The syndromes seem to still trigger, though, so that should be fine.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:19:50 pm by ZM5 »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: July 22, 2019, 12:49:41 pm »

I added a setter to set the boiling point to 10180 for those liquid mats. And it *Seems* to have stopped the super heated luggies
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 364