Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 364

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 645114 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4140 on: November 11, 2019, 01:46:48 pm »

Stay calm guys.

Look, you cannot have an intelligent queen that lays and hatches eggs. As soon as the eggs are laid she will wander off to do whatever. There isn't any easy way around that without dfhack.

However, you could omit the egg-laying part, let her give birth to children directly, and pretend "these are the eggs that hatched and survived the larval/baby stage, the rest died."

Or, you can make unintelligent nurse/breeder castes (one male one female) that does lay eggs and can be brought on embark.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: November 11, 2019, 02:52:00 pm »

Stay calm guys.

Look, you cannot have an intelligent queen that lays and hatches eggs. As soon as the eggs are laid she will wander off to do whatever. There isn't any easy way around that without dfhack.

However, you could omit the egg-laying part, let her give birth to children directly, and pretend "these are the eggs that hatched and survived the larval/baby stage, the rest died."

Or, you can make unintelligent nurse/breeder castes (one male one female) that does lay eggs and can be brought on embark.
But would just forcing her to stay on the nest box until the eggs hatch with walls work, or is sitting on the nest box an actual job and not just "the egg layer has to be on the same tile as the box"?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:54:59 pm by MachoNacho »
pug

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: November 11, 2019, 03:25:53 pm »

Stay calm guys.

But would just forcing her to stay on the nest box until the eggs hatch with walls work, or is sitting on the nest box an actual job and not just "the egg layer has to be on the same tile as the box"?
No. Make her not intelligent.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: November 11, 2019, 04:16:00 pm »

The only other possibility I can think of is to make her unintelligent for half the year via a syndrome so you have a window of opportunity to both mate and lay eggs in the box afterward and sit on them while being unintelligent the entire time. And that's still a gamble.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:17:35 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist McUser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: November 11, 2019, 08:13:13 pm »

Let's say for a single theoretical moment, that I wished to create a new reaction for fortress mode, that allowed one to apply poison to arrows, how would I go about that. More specifically, how does one  apply a liquid to a reagent during a reaction?

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: November 11, 2019, 09:18:08 pm »

Stay calm guys.

No. Make her not intelligent.
Whatever, I'm just going to try the wall thing once I actually get to the point in the mod where I have enough time for that. It might work. Pretty sure no one talking to me has actually tried that :/
pug

Jack_Caboose

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: November 11, 2019, 10:10:04 pm »

How does [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC] work? The way the wiki describes it seems to make it seem like smaller would be better (since its the same force in a smaller area), but then I've seen a few threads on this forum (from a while ago) which seem to make it sound like a force multiplier (i.e [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:50] would have 50% of the force the attack would otherwise have). The second one seems to be corroborated by the fact that stab attacks in the base game have a contact perc of 100, like goring with horns. Has there been any testing done on this?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: November 12, 2019, 12:40:25 am »

How does [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC] work? The way the wiki describes it seems to make it seem like smaller would be better (since its the same force in a smaller area), but then I've seen a few threads on this forum (from a while ago) which seem to make it sound like a force multiplier (i.e [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:50] would have 50% of the force the attack would otherwise have). The second one seems to be corroborated by the fact that stab attacks in the base game have a contact perc of 100, like goring with horns. Has there been any testing done on this?

Contact area is the number used in the attack formulas. Attack contact percent is just like contact area from item attacks except it uses the area of the body part and then calculates the contact area from that. For instance a short sword stab has a contact area of 50 and a short sword slash has a contact area of 20,000. If a creature had a horn of size 50 their attack would have a contact area of 50.

Whatever, I'm just going to try the wall thing once I actually get to the point in the mod where I have enough time for that. It might work. Pretty sure no one talking to me has actually tried that :/
I'm fairly certain you will get a lot of job cancellation spam, but you are correct in that I haven't tested it and the queen being on the same tile may be enough. I also believe that civ members who lay eggs and are intelligent need to be married in order to have the eggs be fertilized at all, so that is something else you will want to take into consideration.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: November 12, 2019, 02:34:39 am »

Let's say for a single theoretical moment, that I wished to create a new reaction for fortress mode, that allowed one to apply poison to arrows, how would I go about that. More specifically, how does one  apply a liquid to a reagent during a reaction?

There is a dfhack plug in that might be helpful to you.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: November 12, 2019, 02:36:21 am »

You can use a liquid as a reagent, but using USE_REAGENT_AS_MATERIAL would just result in a liquid arrow that just falls flat. You'd have to either use DF Hack, Item Syndrome Reborn, or a mixture of both.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4150 on: November 12, 2019, 04:26:33 am »

That horn thing only applies to goring attacks from stuff like Trolls or Bulls. For whatever reason almost all horned creatures cause blunt damage by goring, they lack the ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE token. The one raws exception I can find are unicorns who have this:
[ATTACK:HGORE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:HORN]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
      [ATTACK_VERB:stab:stabs]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:5]
      [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
      [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]

So with CONTACT_PERC:5 they only use a tiny part of the horn to actually gore, and they actually cause a significant amount of damage, so I don't think the force is neccesarily decreased by default.  The [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:X] token does let you actually alter the force of an attack - works similarly to the velocity modifier on weapons, with 1000 being the base value and higher ones providing a velocity increase and lower values decreasing it.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: November 12, 2019, 08:59:22 am »

moved because it was broken
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:36:59 pm by MachoNacho »
pug

Jack_Caboose

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: November 12, 2019, 08:51:26 pm »

That horn thing only applies to goring attacks from stuff like Trolls or Bulls. For whatever reason almost all horned creatures cause blunt damage by goring, they lack the ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE token. The one raws exception I can find are unicorns who have this:
[ATTACK:HGORE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:HORN]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
      [ATTACK_VERB:stab:stabs]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:5]
      [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
      [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]

So with CONTACT_PERC:5 they only use a tiny part of the horn to actually gore, and they actually cause a significant amount of damage, so I don't think the force is neccesarily decreased by default.  The [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:X] token does let you actually alter the force of an attack - works similarly to the velocity modifier on weapons, with 1000 being the base value and higher ones providing a velocity increase and lower values decreasing it.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense - I did look at the bull as a vanilla gore attack to look at.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: November 12, 2019, 10:36:33 pm »

Contact area is the number used in the attack formulas. Attack contact percent is just like contact area from item attacks except it uses the area of the body part and then calculates the contact area from that. For instance a short sword stab has a contact area of 50 and a short sword slash has a contact area of 20,000. If a creature had a horn of size 50 their attack would have a contact area of 50.

I'm fairly certain you will get a lot of job cancellation spam, but you are correct in that I haven't tested it and the queen being on the same tile may be enough. I also believe that civ members who lay eggs and are intelligent need to be married in order to have the eggs be fertilized at all, so that is something else you will want to take into consideration.
The worker caste is male and has 100% chance to marry females, and the only female is, of course, the queen, so getting the queen to actually lay fertilized eggs is not a problem.
pug

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: November 14, 2019, 08:04:53 am »

I remember that there are issues with flying playable civ creatures. Is that correct? Should I not make playable civ creatures fliers? What about flying pets?
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 364