Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 364

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 645335 times)

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4365 on: February 20, 2020, 04:47:53 am »

What's the best way to encourage an entity member to be a strong fighter (without them being a demon, or messing with permitted caste tags)?  I want to make a civ where the ruler fights back if you try to assassinate them.

Also, does anyone know what RESPONSIBILITY:ATTACK_ENEMIES does or if it works?  I assume it encourages a position to attack enemies, but the wiki has no info.

So you don't want to do the high natural willpower trick in creature raws? That'd be a fairly reliable way.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4366 on: February 20, 2020, 04:53:57 am »

What's the best way to encourage an entity member to be a strong fighter (without them being a demon, or messing with permitted caste tags)?  I want to make a civ where the ruler fights back if you try to assassinate them.

Also, does anyone know what RESPONSIBILITY:ATTACK_ENEMIES does or if it works?  I assume it encourages a position to attack enemies, but the wiki has no info.

So you don't want to do the high natural willpower trick in creature raws? That'd be a fairly reliable way.

I wamt them to be a pure entity - basically a "might makes right" civ that conquers and assimilates other civs, and can potentially have members of other species rise to become ruler, but still have the warrior-king behavior.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: February 20, 2020, 11:30:27 am »

Yes. My frog men have swamps and grasslands as suitable biomes and only fortress they ever get is the capital (generated in swamp). After that, they seem to dig hillocks only.
Wait, are you using the PLAYER_FORTRESS token, or the CAVE_DETAILED but with mountains restricted?
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

mtboaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: February 21, 2020, 05:08:35 am »

Creature covering itself in poisonous goo??
So i plan on creating a creature that can cover itself in a syndrome enducing material
it should be able to spit the stuff too.

In my mind i need the syndrome material, which i don't really know how to define.
The creature using the stuff should be immune to the stuff - don't know how to do that  ::)
The creature could automatically cover itself in the material via sweating?
Maybe there is a better way, any ideas?
For the spit attack i should probably look at the dragons fire spitting to get an idea on how to do it,
normal spitting interaction could spit the poison too, but i guess this will not be used in combat.

Thank you for your help already!!

Mighty armok help me, for I am lost in your worlds rules!

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: February 21, 2020, 05:54:07 am »

So i plan on creating a creature that can cover itself in a syndrome enducing material

In my mind i need the syndrome material, which i don't really know how to define.
The creature using the stuff should be immune to the stuff - don't know how to do that  ::)
For the spit attack i should probably look at the dragons fire spitting to get an idea on how to do it,
normal spitting interaction could spit the poison too, but i guess this will not be used in combat.

So the first thing you want to do is define the material that will inflict the syndrome. If you look to the vanilla creatures - in this case, the Giant Cave Spider - you'll see that it utilises the CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE for its poison, so let's use that as basis.
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]You'll want to actually check the example in the GCS's raws here to see what names you'll want to change. This is also where you'll want to define the syndrome for your creature. See the wiki entry on syndromes for the list of effects and tags. You'll most likely want to utilise SYN_CONTACT (to make the syndrome take effect on contact with splatters of the material), and SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE (to make the creature itself immune to the syndrome).
For the automatically covering itself in the material, you'll want to use the SECRETION token. If you wanted to make it constantly emit the substance from its skin (and you've used that previous code to define the material, and have defined the creature's skin), you'd use.
[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:POISON:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN:CONTINUOUS]For the spitting poison... well the standard spit interaction is a good place to start (note: it's not worth looking at dragons, since they don't spit). The spit interaction already fires a liquid glob of material, which is exactly what you'll want for spreading a contact syndrome, so you don't need to modify that in any way. The two basic things that you'll want to change are the material of the spit, and the usage hint (the thing that tells the creature how/when to use the interaction). For the material, you'll want to locate the line [CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPIT:LIQUID_GLOB], and simply replace SPIT, with POISON (the name of the material you defined at the beginning). For the usage hints, you may want to remove the default ones that are already there, and consult the interaction usage tokens to see what USAGE_HINT might be appropriate for this spit attack. There happens to be a usage for attacking, which tells the creature to use this interaction to attack another creature, which seems like exactly what you want. So, in your creature's spit interaction usage, you just need to add [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] to get your creature using the spit as an attack.

This covers just the basics of what is involved, you'll probably want to look further into each of the things to fully customise them to your liking. I've also not actually tested this stuff for typos, but maybe that's just my way of introducing you to checking errorlog.txt for any errors that might appear when trying to load your modified creature :P

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: February 21, 2020, 06:02:45 am »

Will vermin secrete gas if you use the [SECRETION] tag?

mtboaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: February 21, 2020, 08:01:23 am »

So the first thing you want to do is define the material that will inflict the syndrome. If you look to the vanilla creatures - in this case, the Giant Cave Spider - you'll see that it utilises the CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE for its poison, so let's use that as basis.
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]You'll want to actually check the example in the GCS's raws here to see what names you'll want to change. This is also where you'll want to define the syndrome for your creature. See the wiki entry on syndromes for the list of effects and tags. You'll most likely want to utilise SYN_CONTACT (to make the syndrome take effect on contact with splatters of the material), and SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE (to make the creature itself immune to the syndrome).
For the automatically covering itself in the material, you'll want to use the SECRETION token. If you wanted to make it constantly emit the substance from its skin (and you've used that previous code to define the material, and have defined the creature's skin), you'd use.
[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:POISON:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN:CONTINUOUS]For the spitting poison... well the standard spit interaction is a good place to start (note: it's not worth looking at dragons, since they don't spit). The spit interaction already fires a liquid glob of material, which is exactly what you'll want for spreading a contact syndrome, so you don't need to modify that in any way. The two basic things that you'll want to change are the material of the spit, and the usage hint (the thing that tells the creature how/when to use the interaction). For the material, you'll want to locate the line [CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPIT:LIQUID_GLOB], and simply replace SPIT, with POISON (the name of the material you defined at the beginning). For the usage hints, you may want to remove the default ones that are already there, and consult the interaction usage tokens to see what USAGE_HINT might be appropriate for this spit attack. There happens to be a usage for attacking, which tells the creature to use this interaction to attack another creature, which seems like exactly what you want. So, in your creature's spit interaction usage, you just need to add [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] to get your creature using the spit as an attack.

This covers just the basics of what is involved, you'll probably want to look further into each of the things to fully customise them to your liking. I've also not actually tested this stuff for typos, but maybe that's just my way of introducing you to checking errorlog.txt for any errors that might appear when trying to load your modified creature :P

Awesome, thank you very much i'll try it out and report how it went!
Mighty armok help me, for I am lost in your worlds rules!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4372 on: February 21, 2020, 09:33:56 am »

If you don't want the creature to be always covered in poison, it could sweat or cry poison.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For an extra-civilized creature one can put a sweat, that causes irritation and discomfort. A lazy creature.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:35:47 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: February 21, 2020, 07:42:24 pm »

About how many times the typical human's size is a elephant man?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4374 on: February 21, 2020, 08:20:28 pm »

Human size: 70,000
Elephant man size: 2,535,000
So about 36 times as big.

Here is a list that gives all creatures in order by size.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: February 22, 2020, 03:11:47 am »

Human size: 70,000
Elephant man size: 2,535,000
So about 36 times as big.

Here is a list that gives all creatures in order by size.

graphical representation as cubes (assuming size = volume):
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4376 on: February 22, 2020, 08:35:42 am »

Images: how big is a 100 ton megabeast / dinosaur? Or a 15 ton crocodile?
https://www.thoughtco.com/how-big-were-prehistoric-animals-1091957

On mammal run speeds and gaits: http://mammals-locomotion.com/walking.html

More animal sizes visually: https://www.deviantart.com/sameerprehistorica/art/Animals-Size-Comparison-775580079

==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: February 23, 2020, 10:03:45 am »

How does damage to internal organs work? Can organs without [STRUCTURAL] tissues be damaged? Would an internal organ with [PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE] and no [STRUCTURAL] tissue make the parent part indestructible?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4378 on: February 24, 2020, 03:02:12 pm »

Is there a way to make a sapient species unable to ride mounts?  Giants and centaurs riding horses gets a little ridiculous...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: February 25, 2020, 09:57:45 pm »

Is it possible to spawn goblins without demon intercession?  What tag controls that?

Is there a way to make a sapient species unable to ride mounts?  Giants and centaurs riding horses gets a little ridiculous...
I would like to believe there is a formula somewhere that the game adheres to wrt mounts.  but Im quite ignorant of the answer to this.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 364