Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 362

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 634906 times)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4425 on: March 10, 2020, 02:48:54 pm »

In fact I'm pretty sure that civilized single-gendered species won't even spawn in the first place.

I managed to make a civ of non-reproducing creatures, by not specializing castes and putting [NO_GENDER]. They do spawn and they don't replenish population, usually don't have more than three sites and something around 300 members of the race. I use them as dark fortress race, they are great replacement for goblins since they don't respawn yet survive cause of their masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: March 10, 2020, 11:25:37 pm »

Since worldgen/history basically stops happening the moment the character starts playing (sure, some stuff continues to happen, but is it really meaningful?)

yes, most of the worldgen stuff still happens during play. this was the primary purpose of 0.40.01 in 2014

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: March 11, 2020, 12:29:39 am »

I read recently that forgotten beasts and megabeasts don't actually travel around post-worldgen, they just teleport randomly to the player's map and will sit in the last site they were in when worldgen ended. I hope that's not the case, as it kinda kills the feel of a living world if the big bad monsters are only enemies to my fort.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: March 11, 2020, 01:05:35 am »

I read recently that forgotten beasts and megabeasts don't actually travel around post-worldgen, they just teleport randomly to the player's map and will sit in the last site they were in when worldgen ended. I hope that's not the case, as it kinda kills the feel of a living world if the big bad monsters are only enemies to my fort.
Underground travel is broken right now. That's one reason why the map rewrite is upcoming. So forgotten Beasts and titans teleport because there wasn't much point in updating them to move around when moving around itself is broken (yeah, he could have just done titans, but I expect he wanted to do it all at once so he wouldn't have to rewrite everything again when the time came).

You have to remember the living world was introduced just 6 years ago, there are 10 years of old features and crazy old buggy code from before then to remove and rewrite gradually to get everything up to the same level of simulation.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:08:55 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: March 11, 2020, 04:15:03 pm »

Underground travel is broken right now. That's one reason why the map rewrite is upcoming. So forgotten Beasts and titans teleport because there wasn't much point in updating them to move around when moving around itself is broken (yeah, he could have just done titans, but I expect he wanted to do it all at once so he wouldn't have to rewrite everything again when the time came).

You have to remember the living world was introduced just 6 years ago, there are 10 years of old features and crazy old buggy code from before then to remove and rewrite gradually to get everything up to the same level of simulation.

Fair point, these things take time.

On another subject - do we know if an Entity will create an artifact item if the item is not listed under their entity file as a weapon/item, but the option to create the item is listed as a reaction? I have created gemstone warhammers made from cut gems and a metal bar, but I can't give it to the entities as a usuable weapon or they just make steel or silver gemstone hammers during world gem (defeats the purpose of the whole thing). I'm hoping that I can add the reaction to create the weapons to the MOUNTAIN entity, but leave the weapon off so that post-world generation I can have them make these new weapons as artifacts in fort mode on occasion.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: March 12, 2020, 07:06:32 am »

I made a single-gendered species once, they spawned but obviously didn't replenish.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

mtboaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: March 12, 2020, 12:36:16 pm »

Dear dwarfen scientists,
can one of you be so kind and tell me how to let a new entity use a custom material for
weapons and armor (in trading and worldgen) without the material being some kind of metal
or wood.

Is this possible, or are you required to add the IS_METAL / WOOD tag to make this work.
I am thinking of glass, or ceramic armory/weaponry fyi
In the testarena it is generally not possible to add any weapons or pieces of armor that are not made out of metal/wood/leather i think.
Mighty armok help me, for I am lost in your worlds rules!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4432 on: March 12, 2020, 07:07:36 pm »

can one of you be so kind and tell me how to let a new entity use a custom material for
weapons and armor (in trading and worldgen) without the material being some kind of metal or wood.
In the testarena it is generally not possible to add any weapons or pieces of armor that are not made out of metal/wood/leather i think.
Got obsidian swords in vanilla DF.
Got neolithic era stone weapons in OldGenesis mod, but I'm not sure if the entities use it, don't have the reactions on other civs.
Might be best to tag the new material as a metal.
Yeah no obsidian weapons in OldGenesis arena test.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:12:12 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: March 13, 2020, 02:45:18 am »

Will a creature with a contact syndrome in its blood be affected by the syndrome when it bleeds?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: March 13, 2020, 03:58:37 am »

Yup. Works just fine that way
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4435 on: March 13, 2020, 08:15:29 am »

Will a creature with a contact syndrome in its blood be affected by the syndrome when it bleeds?
Example: dwarves bleed dwarfblood, get STRESS from seeing own blood. Minor stress from touching animal blood.

Example: dwarf sweat causes dwarf irritation.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: March 13, 2020, 10:25:32 am »

unless you set them to be immune they will. You can specify creature or caste specific immunity when you define the syndrome.  And class specific, but classes are really just 'organic' and 'not organic' rn, which is a shame.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: March 13, 2020, 04:12:37 pm »

Yup. Works just fine that way
So the wounded part specifically is affected by the syndrome?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: March 13, 2020, 04:30:56 pm »

if 'localized', any part that meets the requirements will show it.

blood dripped onto a sword thats grabbed by an hand will transfer it just the same.

licking you blood/pus/tears will do so too.  defining the syndrome to not be localized will affect the critter as normal.
a trail of blood will also transfer it. if you want it to not affect others you can add that.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: March 13, 2020, 04:44:12 pm »

Does anyone know what the creatures with the new [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:PET_ANIMAL] interaction all have in common?

list of creatures that can pet:
  • dwarf - intelligent - playable
  • human - intelligent - playable
  • elf - intelligent - playable
  • goblin - intelligent
  • kobold - UTTERANCES - CAN_LEARN
  • gremlin - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN
  • satyr - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN
  • giant - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN
  • cyclops - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN
  • ettin - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN
  • minotaur - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN
  • harpy - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN
  • merperson - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN
  • gnome mountain - CAN_LEARN
  • gnome dark - CAN_LEARN
  • gorlak - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN - playable
  • animal person - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN - playable
  • animal person (legless) - CAN_SPEAK - CAN_LEARN - playable
They all tend to be creatures that CAN_LEARN, but there are several creatures who CAN_LEARN who cannot Pet.

If it wasn't for the Foul Blendec (who cannot Pet), we could say that every non-vermin creature who CAN_LEARN or can UTTERANCES is also able to Pet. Fairies and Pixies (who cannot Pet) are intelligent, but they are vermin. Any idea why the Foul Blendec isn't able to Pet?
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 362