Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646426 times)

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5070 on: October 06, 2021, 01:51:09 am »

Alright after years of playing I've decided to try dipping my toes into modding things other than removing animal_people and making the gem list smaller.

Can a creature, lets say a dwarf as an example, have more than three body_size entries?

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
   [BODY_SIZE:12:0:50000]

Those of course are the standard ones, but is it possible to put other intermediate ones in? like:

[BODY_SIZE:8:0:40000]
   [BODY_SIZE:15:0:60000]

or do they have to have the same number as the number of age categories (baby, child adult)?
BODY_SIZE and any stages of maturation are entirely unrelated. You can have as many BODY_SIZEs as you want.

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: October 06, 2021, 01:02:54 pm »

Alright after years of playing I've decided to try dipping my toes into modding things other than removing animal_people and making the gem list smaller.

Can a creature, lets say a dwarf as an example, have more than three body_size entries?

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
   [BODY_SIZE:12:0:50000]

Those of course are the standard ones, but is it possible to put other intermediate ones in? like:

[BODY_SIZE:8:0:40000]
   [BODY_SIZE:15:0:60000]

or do they have to have the same number as the number of age categories (baby, child adult)?
BODY_SIZE and any stages of maturation are entirely unrelated. You can have as many BODY_SIZEs as you want.

Great! Thanks!

Van Silke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: October 12, 2021, 08:07:14 pm »

Suppose I wanted an entity civ to have access to very specific items (say, a new metal or tool only that civ can produce). How would I go about it?

Also, first post on the forum. Hello.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: October 21, 2021, 06:50:21 am »

okay so, this entity i modded in (by copying bits and pieces of preexisting ones) for a big modification of the long night mod by squamous ,makes the object testing arena and presumebly also the main game crash. i have no clue what could be causing this aside from someone else's vague allusion to interactions (the long night has a lot) that may cause it, but aside from that i'm completely in the dark as no errorlogs are produced. any ideas on whats wrong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: October 21, 2021, 02:03:59 pm »

When I had that happen to a bunch of old entities, I never could figure it out either. The solution i came to is to copy one of the vanilla entities, dwarves or humans or something, and modify it to suit your needs. It was the only way I could move forward with Spellcrafts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: October 21, 2021, 05:41:03 pm »

When I had that happen to a bunch of old entities, I never could figure it out either. The solution i came to is to copy one of the vanilla entities, dwarves or humans or something, and modify it to suit your needs. It was the only way I could move forward with Spellcrafts.
might have to resort to that yea :/

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: October 22, 2021, 07:17:30 pm »

Edit: Having separate entity files appears to force creation of each before worldgen begins cycling through them.  As a result, a ton of civs were trying to spawn at the same time, in a world that is 'patchwork' for savagery and elevation.  Reducing worldgen civ number from 20 to 10 worked immediately.  So I need to further reduce the amount of separate entities and/or reduce the randomness of my gen.

Greetings all.  Using a mod that adds variations of the default races, each as a separate entity file.  If I delete the entity file or change MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER to zero, worldgen kicks back the error 'Can't spawn enough races due to lack of low-savagery tiles'.  Is there something else I need to change or remove in order to cherry pick the races I want?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:32:20 pm by Immortal-D »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: October 23, 2021, 03:19:32 pm »

Suppose I wanted an entity civ to have access to very specific items (say, a new metal or tool only that civ can produce). How would I go about it?

Also, first post on the forum. Hello.

Well, first those are two different things. 

You add a tool/weapon by adding it to the civ's raws.  And if no other civ has that tool/weapon, then its unique to that civ.

Metal is a bit more tricky.  Best solution is probably to give the civ a reaction to produce the metal.  That might give that civ the metal, and since they are the only ones with the reaction, they're the only ones with the metal.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: November 12, 2021, 07:53:49 am »

I've got a few questions.

How would one go about making a creature that has an innate syndrome? That is, one that's always active on a given species. Adding it to their blood material doesn't seem to work.

And with [ITEMCORPSE], is there a way to make it a SMALLGEM of a specific cut shape?

How does [ITEMCORPSE:EGG] work? Normally you would do something like [ITEMCORPSE:EGG:NO_SUBTYPE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:YOUR_EGG_MAT], but the wiki is a bit unclear about how egg item tokens work (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_token), so how would I get all 3 materials to be added to the egg? Basically I want a dead creature to drop an egg that will eventually hatch into another of its species.

Finally, in what situations does a creature's NAME adjective get used? Like, in [NAME:dwarf:dwarves:dwarven], where would the game use "dwarven"?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5079 on: November 12, 2021, 08:09:21 am »

Is there a way to make a secret that make those who learn it more likely to become the leaders of their civilization?  I'd like to encourage a world with badass superpowered kings.

I've tried increasing their AMBITION as well as their LINGUISTIC_ABILITY in the hopes that it would make them better at socializing and more likely to be elected, but I'm not sure if it's having any effect.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: November 12, 2021, 08:30:11 am »

How would one go about making a creature that has an innate syndrome? That is, one that's always active on a given species. Adding it to their blood material doesn't seem to work.

Give a internal bodypart (e.g., the brain or create a new bodypart for the purpose) a constant secretion of some material that carries a contact syndrome. This doesn't appear to work in worldgen though, but once the creature arrives on the map, the syndrome kicks in.

Finally, in what situations does a creature's NAME adjective get used? Like, in [NAME:dwarf:dwarves:dwarven], where would the game use "dwarven"?

At least it's used in deities of that creature type. For example a dwarf god is listed as a "dwarven deity" while a cat god would be a "feline deity".

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: November 12, 2021, 08:56:38 am »

Metal is a bit more tricky.  Best solution is probably to give the civ a reaction to produce the metal.  That might give that civ the metal, and since they are the only ones with the reaction, they're the only ones with the metal.
I know this worked in earlier versions. It's why you could end up being able to import steel, but not iron, from your civ. The lack of iron ore in their area had no impact on the steel smelting reactions, while regular ore smelting isn't handled by raw defined reactions.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: November 12, 2021, 03:27:34 pm »

Is there a way to make a body part possible to attack and damage/destroy (and grab etc, it's fully exposed), but impossible to sever/disconnect from the rest of the body? What I'm trying to do is make a creature with some levitating body parts that aren't "really" connected to anything else, and are instead controlled "telekinetically".

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5083 on: November 13, 2021, 08:56:10 am »

Is there a way to make a body part possible to attack and damage/destroy (and grab etc, it's fully exposed), but impossible to sever/disconnect from the rest of the body? What I'm trying to do is make a creature with some levitating body parts that aren't "really" connected to anything else, and are instead controlled "telekinetically".
No levitating loose arms as far as I know. Super-regeneration is possible, get that limbtentacle back very quickly. (transform to creature/caste, for full heal, I guess)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5084 on: November 13, 2021, 11:55:36 am »

Does anyone know exactly how the SUPERNATURAL tag works?

The wiki says it "Gives the creature knowledge of any secrets with [SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE] that match its spheres", but I have supernatural, intelligent megabeasts with spheres that match secrets and have yet to see one actually acquire the syndrome.

A long time ago I have seen megabeasts with POWER that happened to become a ruler write down secrets, but it is extremely rare for megabeasts to become rulers, and I'm not sure if they actually learned the secret or if they were just the source of the knowledge.

Does it not apply the syndrome, but just gives them the ability to teach it to others or write it down if they happen to be in a position that allows it?  Does it apply the syndrome randomly but not guaranteed?  Has anyone been able to use the SUPERNATURAL tag reliably for anything?
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 365