Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646156 times)

Dubya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5145 on: February 06, 2022, 09:25:31 am »

Item types require a subtype.  If no subtype exists, use NO_SUBTYPE.  For example, LIQUID_MISC:NO_SUBTYPE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD

Personally, I consider Bay12forums' search function far better than some other forums out there.  I can seemingly use site:www.bay12forums.com in Google without issue.

Excellent, thank you.

The new night creature nightmare tag [NIGHT_CREATURE_NIGHTMARE] for 47.xx seems to do it, after a period of time it'll dissapate like the necromancer summon creatures that can't be pernament even if they're summoned in the abstract of the interaction tokens that overrides and tells them to fade like that.

Worth a try, though i've not seen it myself I will say.

Yes, I had meant [NIGHT_CREATURE_NIGHTMARE] instead of [NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER] in my original post. The tag causes too much smoke when used with low-cooldown summons and you also see the corpse briefly.

Dubya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: February 11, 2022, 01:09:00 am »

nevermind
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 01:48:03 am by Dubya »

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: February 12, 2022, 05:17:38 pm »

Do body appearance modifiers for height and broadness stack in how they affect BODY_SIZE? Like, would a creature 70,000 in normal size, but with 90% HEIGHT and 90% BROADNESS end up as 63,000 or 56,700?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: February 12, 2022, 06:44:04 pm »

Do body appearance modifiers for height and broadness stack in how they affect BODY_SIZE? Like, would a creature 70,000 in normal size, but with 90% HEIGHT and 90% BROADNESS end up as 63,000 or 56,700?

Yes for computations that don't use cm3 volume mass solely, creatures with higher values are propotionally larger as they'll fit in different close ranges of clothing. Human clothes can be comfortable to 'tall' dwarves, and vice versa for short humans in the perceptive "large" and "small" clothes based off cm3 volume mass.

My take-away is that in a four axis X Y chart, more height is +Y, more Breadth is +X, and more Length is a mixture of the two sort of on a slight diagonal since it does increase total size by a small margin (a really long fish won't turn it into a sea serpent but it'll be noticable), which in the negative works as you'd expect.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: February 13, 2022, 03:26:06 am »

If you use Dwarf Portrait you can notice that each of your civilians have different body sizes exactly for this reason, so it is something that is calculated.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: February 13, 2022, 10:27:35 am »

How do tissue layer positionings work? Typically nails are added to creatures using [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL:FRONT], but does that mean they're getting placed on the tip of the finger, or the back? It could be either one, depending on what "FRONT" is supposed to mean (and in real life, technically it's both at once in a way?), and "FRONT" is ambiguous because it depends on what position their hands are supposed to be in (are they T-posing? Are their hands forward like a zombie? It's not clear at all!).

The same question extends to other body parts that can have ambiguous orientation, like the arms, hands and legs. Pretty much the only part I'm clear on the meanings of is the head, where clearly FRONT is the side the face is on, and the TOP and BACK and all that are based on a humanoid head facing upwards. The body is also kind of clear for the same reason (so TOP would be where the neck is, even for quadrupeds where technically the part on top would be their back).

Also, how do tissue layers interact with internal body parts? I don't see what it is that lets guts know they should be behind the skin and flesh, but not behind the bone, since the wiki says [INTERNAL] means:

"Marks the body part as being inside the body. It is behind all the other tissues of the body part, cannot be severed, nor used for wrestling. It cannot be targeted directly in combat, but can be damaged by attacks to the parent body part.

But it doesn't seem like attacks have to go through/cause damage to the parent body parts bone tissues in order to damage the internal organs? What am I missing here?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 10:42:50 am by Mr Crabman »

Dubya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: February 17, 2022, 07:24:45 pm »

"Marks the body part as being inside the body. It is behind all the other tissues of the body part, cannot be severed, nor used for wrestling. It cannot be targeted directly in combat, but can be damaged by attacks to the parent body part.

But it doesn't seem like attacks have to go through/cause damage to the parent body parts bone tissues in order to damage the internal organs? What am I missing here?

Dunno about the first part of your question, but in [VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS] in the body_detail_plans file, things with the category of [LOWERBODY] don't have any bone in their tissue layers. [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:BODY_LOWER:ARG3:50:ARG2:5:ARG1:1] where arg3 is muscle, 2 is fat, and 1 is skin. Guts are connected to the lower body, so there's no bone in the way.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5152 on: February 20, 2022, 02:32:38 am »

How do tissue layer positionings work? Typically nails are added to creatures using [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:NAIL:FRONT], but does that mean they're getting placed on the tip of the finger, or the back? It could be either one, depending on what "FRONT" is supposed to mean (and in real life, technically it's both at once in a way?), and "FRONT" is ambiguous because it depends on what position their hands are supposed to be in (are they T-posing? Are their hands forward like a zombie? It's not clear at all!).

The same question extends to other body parts that can have ambiguous orientation, like the arms, hands and legs. Pretty much the only part I'm clear on the meanings of is the head, where clearly FRONT is the side the face is on, and the TOP and BACK and all that are based on a humanoid head facing upwards. The body is also kind of clear for the same reason (so TOP would be where the neck is, even for quadrupeds where technically the part on top would be their back).

Also, how do tissue layers interact with internal body parts? I don't see what it is that lets guts know they should be behind the skin and flesh, but not behind the bone, since the wiki says [INTERNAL] means:

It's best not to think too hard about what DF creatures actually look like. There are rules for how combat calculations are handled, and outside of those it doesn't really matter.

All body parts are basically magic floating spheres. Therre is no real logic for how they are connected to each other, apart from impacts applying force further up the tree and severed/damaged parts causing parts further down the tree to be lost or stop functioning.

I believe that the positioning of tissue layers may affect the likelihood of that layer being hit when attacked from a particular side - so FRONT means you are more likely to hit it when attacking an enemy head-on and BACK means you are more likely to hit it attacking from behind. Relative position and angle of body parts aren't really relevant.

Attacks on internal organs do need to pass through all tissue layers. It is worth noting that vertebrates do not have an internal bone layer on their torso or head. The skull is simply an internal organ classified as being AROUND the brain. This means that it is very possible to hit the head and miss the skull - tissue layers are always hit unless blocked by a higher tissue layer, while internal parts are hit at random - but it is not possible to hit the brain without going through the skull.

Ribcages are even dicier - each individual rib is classified as partially AROUND the lungs and heart, which means that it is possible - though not guaranteed - that attacks to these organs will be intercepted by a given rib. And spines are just independent organs, not actual layers. In fact, if you make the spine out of adamantine, you can still cut the body in half with a steel axe - the spine has no role in holding it together.

So basically, upper and lower bodies are just big hunks of meat with organs and bones floating around inside them.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5153 on: February 25, 2022, 02:27:14 pm »

Is there a way for reactions to output drinks that are already inside containers?

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: February 27, 2022, 07:45:10 pm »

Just wondering if it's possible to reflavour or customise the reproduction process? Say for example, you modded in a race of robots - reproduction via live birth or eggs doesn't make sense. Is there a way to mod it so mummy robot and daddy robot construct baby robot rather than give birth to it?
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5155 on: March 03, 2022, 12:06:12 pm »

Just wondering if it's possible to reflavour or customise the reproduction process? Say for example, you modded in a race of robots - reproduction via live birth or eggs doesn't make sense. Is there a way to mod it so mummy robot and daddy robot construct baby robot rather than give birth to it?
The wordings are hardcoded. Might have eggs(or workshop reactions) that are renamed to "new robot pods" or something.

See how workshops can be made to output golems.
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10205
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5156 on: March 06, 2022, 10:22:59 am »

Almost all traits can be sorted into castes. The only things that apply to the entire species are the species name and materials, and even materials can be made caste-specific, it's just more work.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #5157 on: March 06, 2022, 12:03:18 pm »

Almost all traits can be sorted into castes. The only things that apply to the entire species are the species name and materials, and even materials can be made caste-specific, it's just more work.

A species can also only have one clothes size afaik.  But the actual size can be different by caste.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: March 06, 2022, 12:17:17 pm »

A species can also only have one clothes size afaik.  But the actual size can be different by caste.

Do we know how is this one size determined? That would be somewhat useful.

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: March 12, 2022, 05:46:45 pm »

I've made an interaction but the creature just won't use it. What could be the issue?

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION_EXPLOSIVE]
      [CDI:ADV_NAME:Explode]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
      [CDI:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:FLAME:UNDIRECTED_GAS]
      [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
      [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
      [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
      [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]

[INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION_EXPLOSIVE]
   [I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
   [I_TARGET:A:MATERIAL]
      [IT_MATERIAL:CONTEXT_MATERIAL]
   [I_TARGET:B:LOCATION]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_LOCATION] <-- this is always the emitter for now
   [I_TARGET:C:LOCATION]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE_OR_LOCATION] <-- lets projectiles be aimed at specific creatures
      [IT_MANUAL_INPUT:target]
   [I_EFFECT:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_TARGET:B]
      [IE_TARGET:C]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
   [I_EFFECT:PROPEL_UNIT]
      [IE_PROPEL_FORCE:500000]
      [IE_TARGET:B]
      [IE_TARGET:C]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 365