Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646060 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4410 on: March 09, 2020, 01:12:19 am »

Boulders are big, and only a small percentage of an insect's mass is its shell. There might not be enough material on any single body part to create a whole boulder. Try making it bigger.

mtboaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: March 09, 2020, 05:03:47 am »

Making creatures striped or freckled in different colors

So i am looking for a way to add more fluff to some creatures and would like to have them differentiate from each other more via things like
stripes or freckles on the skin if possible these should even have different colors.
I know it is just fluff to read, but a creature in a civ is pretty boring if every single one of them "looks" almost the same.
Can anyone help me with this?

I mean i know there are TISSUER_LAYER_APPEARENCE_MODIFIERS but i was not able to use them for this so far.

Thanks already!
Mighty armok help me, for I am lost in your worlds rules!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: March 09, 2020, 06:12:41 am »

Youd want to use color modifiers for this. There are already spots and stripes, they're a bit limited though. You could make your own colors calling them "dark taupe with pink freckles" or something, or you can use the same layer on different body parts, say skin on most of the body represents the base color, then select the head and make a second skin color description setup, but in this list of colors add custom colors like "freckled with darker brown spots" and "crossed with lighter stripes"

Then in the creatures description it would read like "her skin is taupe. Her skin is freckled with darker brown spots."
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Meridian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: March 10, 2020, 03:52:36 am »

given that [GENERATED] cannot be in user-defined raws, I assume that blocks me off from making an interaction randomized and/or done in worldgen?
for context, I'm trying to plot out an extra thing or two I want to see deities do in my worlds. more or less having them look at a wolf and say "You're big boi now", or transforming a random creature into a generated forest spirit deal. add some variety to quests, and possibly make some lower tier options

this is one of those "if its possible someone else has probably already done it, and if not, woops", but past the flat "can I make these happen in worldgen" I do wanna puzzle the rest out (mostly)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4414 on: March 10, 2020, 07:58:45 am »

(worldgen god) look at a wolf and say "You're big boi now", or transforming a random creature into a generated forest spirit deal.
this is one of those "if its possible someone else has probably already done it, and if not, woops", but past the flat "can I make these happen in worldgen" I do wanna puzzle the rest out (mostly)
Not possible as far as I know. Could make rare caste of wanted creature, but that way there's no god doing the transforming.
Could mod an interaction that people can learn to make such a transformation. Ie. transform self into X, and X can cast some spells, and then X-transformation wears off. See golem summoning posts.

Prooobably can't make a supergrass that transforms a sheep into a spirit-sheep when eaten.
One can't random-generate anything via modding. 
Could make "magic sandstorm comes and does a syndrome.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: March 10, 2020, 08:25:13 am »

What tokens allow creatures like giant dingoes to have lairs in worldgen?

Can you add spheres to creatures via cvars? Adding
Code: [Select]
[CV_NEW_TAG:SPHERE:NATURE]
[CV_NEW_TAG:SPHERE:ANIMALS]
to animal-people doesn't make them have those spheres, as proven by Legends Viewer.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:24:05 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: March 10, 2020, 08:35:15 am »

given that [GENERATED] cannot be in user-defined raws, I assume that blocks me off from making an interaction randomized and/or done in worldgen?
for context, I'm trying to plot out an extra thing or two I want to see deities do in my worlds. more or less having them look at a wolf and say "You're big boi now", or transforming a random creature into a generated forest spirit deal. add some variety to quests, and possibly make some lower tier options

Well, deities will definitely use interactions with the usage hint of MAJOR_CURSE on people during worldgen, since that's how vampires and werebeasts are created. I don't know if any of the newly added usage hints for deities are used during worldgen, so you'd be limited to just new ways to curse people, or having the deities apply positive effects as curses :b

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: March 10, 2020, 11:08:48 am »

Can creatures be affected by contact syndromes from their blood when they are wounded?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: March 10, 2020, 11:28:37 am »

Prooobably can't make a supergrass that transforms a sheep into a spirit-sheep when eaten.

Actually you can do this.  I don't think it's what Meridian was looking for, but just wanted to point out that it is a thing you can do; grazers are affected by syndromes of the grass they eat.

You can also make a vermin creature with a main body material that applies a syndrome when eaten, and give the creature to be affected HUNTS_VERMIN and GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS:X.  Vermin bites are another way of applying syndromes to random creatures during gameplay.

None of these options will happen in worldgen though.

One option that MIGHT work in worldgen (if it does work, it will be so incredibly rare that it's basically not worth mentioning) is to create a necromancer variant secret that can resurrect or modify a creature with an experiment.  The experiment adds a syndrome that affects a particular species, and that syndrome transforms the species into the variant.  IF someone picks up the secret, AND that person happens to be in one of the very rare circumstances where experiments can take place, AND the target creature happens to be in the location they are performing the experiments in, MAYBE they will apply the effect during worldgen.  However experiments happen so infrequently that you can go through 20 worlds without ever seeing a modded experiment interaction used once, let alone on a specific creature.

I'm trying to make something similar right now, except in my case it's a secret that is supposed to resurrect or modify a sapient species of low-level demons into a more powerful demon species.  And said low-level demon species has a religion sphere that ought to make the secret more common for them.  I have genned over 20 worlds and have never seen it used.  So suffice it to say that the chances of a resurrection spell being used on a specific wild animal that happens to have become a historical figure on a particular site is...basically zero.

Meridian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: March 10, 2020, 12:02:09 pm »

Not possible as far as I know. Could make rare caste of wanted creature, but that way there's no god doing the transforming.
Could mod an interaction that people can learn to make such a transformation. Ie. transform self into X, and X can cast some spells, and then X-transformation wears off. See golem summoning posts.

One can't random-generate anything via modding. 
Could make "magic sandstorm comes and does a syndrome.
Ach... That causes a series of issues.
Since worldgen/history basically stops happening the moment the character starts playing (sure, some stuff continues to happen, but is it really meaningful?) there's really no point to the player bringing them into being. Unless you roleplayed a setup character who goes around the world creating them, but that's a lot of work and you wouldn't be getting monster killing quests for them or them having a lair.
Which is gen part of the whole point. Encounters/Quests that don't have the same dangers as a Werebeast/Person, but aren't on the difficulty level you see with a Titan or FB.
And they're not something I generally want happening in fortmode either. Has it's own mootage.

so you'd be limited to just new ways to curse people, or having the deities apply positive effects as curses :b
since you generally will just be using a set of strings for legends/history reading you can change it so that it says they were doing a blessing, although mechanically it is a [MAJOR CURSE] going on
Unfortunately I don't know how an external legends viewer will see it.

snip
jesus. the modding support when it comes to stuff like this is really frustrating

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: March 10, 2020, 12:26:49 pm »

What happens if you make a civ building creature a spouse converter? Will it even work?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Meridian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: March 10, 2020, 12:52:20 pm »

What tokens allow creatures like giant dingoes to have lairs in worldgen?

Forgot to say it, but the only thing I can see towards that effect would be [LAIR] in creature tokens. [LARGE_PREDATOR] seems to also have some relation to them doing what leads to the point of having lairs (rampages, meaning you get a quest to kill them, etc).

---------------
Urgh. I had a list of 'pivots' I was working on but I'm pretty sure all are non-applicable.
- Interaction form that results in a deity cursing an animal to take on the giant variant of itself. Or a version of giant variants that are hostile. Again the issue here becomes the generative, worldgen, random, and non-sapient issues. Even past that I don't think you can just call creature variations or do transformations like that. Past that I think I'd have to call individual new variants, or do the caste system. The caste being an issue if I don't want them to show up in fort mode (I think there's one of the tags that says something isn't real, *but* yeaaah)
- Interestingly I am curious if a deity curse could be made to cause an animal in the party to turn into a giant hostile beast. Or in a similar terrible vein, just turn them into a person. Awkward and hilarious.
- Maybe I could do something where someone toppling a statue is transformed into a divine beast as penance, but post worldgen runs into issues like "can they even claim a lair?".
- If I did want to do gameplay stuff, and I doubt this, but it would be neat if holy vermin/temple grass could be done. Though the issue becomes forcing that to happen and the immersion issues it would cause for roleplay and the like. The world is meant to feel a little more lived in or eventful rather than the player going out as an adventurer solely to cause the world new horrifying problems, at least for these goals. I don't even want to think about fortmode because it feels a bit "domesticated war cave dragon breeding population" direction.

Ultimately I think this is yet another modding concept I have to put on the backburners until 10-20 years from now when X update happens, or in the event modding support changes / open-source
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:43:14 pm by Meridian »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: March 10, 2020, 02:18:08 pm »

What happens if you make a civ building creature a spouse converter? Will it even work?

Nope.

You can, however, make a civilized creature with a specialattack_interaction that transforms the target into a caste of its own species.  But if your intent is to make a single-gendered species that reproduces entirely through conversion, it won't work.  In fact I'm pretty sure that civilized single-gendered species won't even spawn in the first place.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: March 10, 2020, 02:27:55 pm »

- If I did want to do gameplay stuff, and I doubt this, but it would be neat if holy vermin/temple grass could be done. Though the issue becomes forcing that to happen and the immersion issues it would cause for roleplay and the like. The world is meant to feel a little more lived in or eventful rather than the player going out as an adventurer solely to cause the world new horrifying problems, at least for these goals. I don't even want to think about fortmode because it feels a bit "domesticated war cave dragon breeding population" direction.

Ultimately I think this is yet another modding concept I have to put on the backburners until 10-20 years from now when X update happens, or in the event modding support changes / open-source

Vermin and grass will work, but only in gameplay, not worldgen.

You can transform people into monsters during worldgen using MAJOR_CURSE, but I've seen this do pretty funny things depending on details.  One of my mods has a curse that permanently transforms the victim into a vicious predatory carrot (don't ask) and I once visited a civilization that had such a carrot as its queen, just sitting in the castle without anyone realizing anything was wrong.  Apparently turning into a non-sapient LARGE_PREDATOR isn't enough to convince the game that "this creature should not still have their old position".  I think turning them into a NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER might make the civ drive them out after transformation as with werebeasts, but I haven't tried this.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: March 10, 2020, 02:46:32 pm »

- Maybe I could do something where someone toppling a statue is transformed into a divine beast as penance, but post worldgen runs into issues like "can they even claim a lair?".
Give the divine beast NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER and they'll behave like werebeasts do when cursed, by claiming a lair and raiding nearby towns.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 365