Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 362

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 635028 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4950 on: March 03, 2021, 08:17:21 am »

I'm having issues with crashing and night trolls

Is the crashing being caused because theyre trying to kidnap creatures with chitin/that dont have skin?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: March 03, 2021, 09:35:34 am »

Or is it because there are some genderless creatures I forgot to remove/fix?

What are all the above ground *men that are genderless?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: March 03, 2021, 02:08:16 pm »

I couldnt name all of them im sure, but they include snail men, slug men, Moon snail men, leech men, and worm men. night creature crashes could be caused by not having a lair and/or habit tags, or not having spouse_converter and converted_spouse on appropriate castes. Have to have both, two castes, one tag on one the other on the other.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nepptu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: March 07, 2021, 11:27:27 pm »

I have no idea whether or not this has been asked already, but I'm struggling with the basics of Transformations like Werewolves etc. at the moment.

My intent is that when you drink this creatures blood it'll trigger a transformation in another specific creature, which is permanent. I've read the wiki, but have no idea how to approach this.

It's like drinking a vampires blood to become one, except it functions more like a Werewolf in the sense you transform into an entirely different species.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: March 08, 2021, 03:41:27 am »

If you dont need it to be contagious like vampirism, you can select the blood material in the creature you want to cause the transformation, and add a syndrome transforms whatever drinks it, like this:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
      [SYNDROME]
            [SYN_NAME:transformation]
            [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
            [SYN_INGESTED]
            [SYN_NO_HOSPITAL]
      [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0] - start but no end flag
         [CE:CREATURE:your creature ID here:caste ID here]

If it needs to be tracked during worldgen and passed on to additional drinkers, you'll have to copy the vampirism example in the example raws, and use the CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION part under the effects where the vampirism effects are added. It might not work, still, but its worth a shot
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

5sanon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • be kobold do crime
    • View Profile
hermaphroditic creatures
« Reply #4955 on: March 09, 2021, 02:29:59 pm »

trying to make a worm-like creature, and want them to be hermaphroditic. are there problems with having [MALE] and [FEMALE] in the same tag?
She personally does not respect the law, has great respect for fairness, finds the following of tradition foolish and limiting and believes that freedom and independence are completely non-negotiable and would fight to defend them.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: hermaphroditic creatures
« Reply #4956 on: March 09, 2021, 05:30:22 pm »

trying to make a worm-like creature, and want them to be hermaphroditic. are there problems with having [MALE] and [FEMALE] in the same tag?
As I recall, if you put both in the same caste it just uses whichever is last on the list.  Unless this has been changed and I missed it, it's stored as a variable instead of a flag, so a caste that is both male and female is unfortunately impossible.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

5sanon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • be kobold do crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: March 10, 2021, 11:12:20 am »

As I recall, if you put both in the same caste it just uses whichever is last on the list.  Unless this has been changed and I missed it, it's stored as a variable instead of a flag, so a caste that is both male and female is unfortunately impossible.
what if i have a male creature that lays eggs?
She personally does not respect the law, has great respect for fairness, finds the following of tradition foolish and limiting and believes that freedom and independence are completely non-negotiable and would fight to defend them.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4958 on: March 11, 2021, 02:34:12 pm »

what if i have a male creature that lays eggs?
LAYS_EGGS just changes the female caste to output eggs instead of baby creatures.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#LAYS_EGGS
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: March 11, 2021, 07:09:04 pm »

Do Polar Bears, Ice Wolves, Yetis, etc. have anything in their raws that better enables them to survive in freezing biomes? I couldn't find anything obvious, but I thought I'd get a second opinion.

Is there any reason why a dwarf would be any worse off than a polar bear on a glacier?

5sanon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • be kobold do crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: March 11, 2021, 08:52:38 pm »

Do Polar Bears, Ice Wolves, Yetis, etc. have anything in their raws that better enables them to survive in freezing biomes? I couldn't find anything obvious, but I thought I'd get a second opinion.

Is there any reason why a dwarf would be any worse off than a polar bear on a glacier?
probably this:
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
      [SELECT_TISSUE:HAIR]
         [INSULATION:200]

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: March 11, 2021, 10:07:00 pm »

It must be that, though I don't begin to know exactly how much protection it applies. I don't know anyone whose ever had a dwarf freeze to death.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4962 on: March 12, 2021, 09:34:29 am »

It must be that, though I don't begin to know exactly how much protection it applies. I don't know anyone whose ever had a dwarf freeze to death.
Wiki lists the lowest survivable temperature -- every material has a COLDDAM point.
Probably some cold-breath monsters cause freezing death.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Temperature
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: March 13, 2021, 10:12:04 pm »

As an aside, I've been trying to create a plant-based creature, that could be butchered for edible plants. I used plump helmet man as the inspiration, but unfortunately, I don't think this is currently possible:

Code: [Select]
A body made of vines.
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SM_VINE:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:vine]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:vine]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:melted vine]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:melted vine]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling vine]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling vine]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[MEAT]  <- butchered vines aren't stockpiled without this
[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:MEAT:NONE]
[MEAT_NAME:NONE:vine:vine]
[TISSUE:VINE]
[TISSUE_NAME:shambling mound vine:shambling mound vines]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SM_VINE]
[HEALING_RATE:100]
[SCARS]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:2]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:VINE]

The [EDIBLE_RAW] and [EDIBLE_COOKED] tags seem to be enough for the resulting 'vines' to be edible/cookable, however without the [MEAT] token, they won't be stored in a food stockpile. The best I can do then is to create a meat that is merely named like a plant. It's stored in meat barrels, and counts as meat.

Similarly, I tried creating a shearable tissue layer of leaves with the hope that they could be used for plant thread, but without having played around with this too much, I don't think it's possible.

The problem at its core is that you can't control the item token of the butchering/shearing yield. When you butcher/shear you get MEAT and CORPSEPIECE, and you don't have any control over that. You could make a custom reaction to turn a "leaf" corpsepiece into plant thread, but you couldn't get a sheared product to work with the default plant processing reaction.

Unless I'm wrong, and anyone has some other thoughts about this?

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: March 14, 2021, 02:15:32 am »

The problem at its core is that you can't control the item token of the butchering/shearing yield.
The material token BUTCHER_SPECIAL lets you change the item that's created when something of that material is butchered from MEAT:NONE to whatever you want. If you want it to yield plants, use [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:PLANT:NONE].
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 362