Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 646414 times)

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5040 on: July 29, 2021, 04:56:18 am »

Is it possible to mod in an entity that goes extinct during world creation? I'm trying to mod in an "ancient" race that dies off before the game start. The idea is to create ruins with awesome equipment (the ancient civ would have access to better weapons and armor). It seems a simple enough idea on paper: ensure that the ancient creatures MAXAGE is smaller than the worldgen's target year, and keep them from reproducing. This second part is giving me a hard time.

I already tried the following:

1) Removing the [MALE] and [FEMALE] tags from the ancient creature castes, This makes worldgen skip placing ancient civs in the world.

2) Put back the [MALE] and [FEMALE] tags on the castes, but use [POP_RATIO:X] tags to make females 100x rarer than males (maybe they're smurfs  :P): Doesn't work. There's still plenty of females around, judging by how much their populations keep growing anyway.

3) Add [MAXAGE:1:12] to the female caste, so that they hopefully die off before coming of age. Somehow, this still doesn't work during world gen.

4) Finally, I tried adding a third caste [CASTE:DOOMED_BABY] to the ancient creature, with [POP_RATIO:1000] and [MAXAGE:1:2]. This also didn't work. It produced some funny Legends mode screens, where Ancient civs have a new lawgiver every year (they keep electing doomed babies for the position, it seems), but they still don't die off.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I think I remember reading that food amount affects population size in world gen, which is one of the reasons goblins seem to breed like rabbits as they produce food yet don't eat so it just keeps accumulating. Maybe make the entity creature carnivorous and then don't give them any access to animals or livestock? Or just don't give them access to food in general.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: July 30, 2021, 09:25:06 am »

Is it possible to mod in an entity that goes extinct during world creation? I'm trying to mod in an "ancient" race that dies off before the game start. The idea is to create ruins with awesome equipment (the ancient civ would have access to better weapons and armor). It seems a simple enough idea on paper: ensure that the ancient creatures MAXAGE is smaller than the worldgen's target year, and keep them from reproducing. This second part is giving me a hard time.

1) Removing the [MALE] and [FEMALE] tags from the ancient creature castes, This makes worldgen skip placing ancient civs in the world.

2) Put back the [MALE] and [FEMALE] tags on the castes, but use [POP_RATIO:X] tags to make females 100x rarer than males (maybe they're smurfs  :P): Doesn't work. There's still plenty of females around, judging by how much their populations keep growing anyway.

3) Add [MAXAGE:1:12] to the female caste, so that they hopefully die off before coming of age. Somehow, this still doesn't work during world gen.

4) Finally, I tried adding a third caste [CASTE:DOOMED_BABY] to the ancient creature, with [POP_RATIO:1000] and [MAXAGE:1:2]. This also didn't work. It produced some funny Legends mode screens, where Ancient civs have a new lawgiver every year (they keep electing doomed babies for the position, it seems), but they still don't die off.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Another idea is if you want the extinct race to live leave behind mountain hall ruins you could make their default site be CAVES_DETAILED and make their BIOME_SUPPORT for mountains be something ridiculous like 10000 while their BIOME_SUPPORT for any other biome is 1, and then make another, more populous entity have a preferred site of PLAYER_FORTRESSES. This would have the effect of the conqueror civ taking over the hillocks and fortresses of the extinct civ, leaving the extinct civ to eventually die out underground.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

FatlessComic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: August 02, 2021, 08:16:41 pm »

So I've been working on a custom race for a few days, based off of the Minotaur.

I have it pretty much worked out, but I wanted to create a special caste with low birth chance, that when born will become a "chosen leader" of their race.

I keep getting this error ; "COWMAN:SILVER_BULL:Attack GORE seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added"

However I have it set to give this caste [BODY:2HEAD_HORN] but the error still shows up.

Can anyone help me figure out why it's doing this? :EDIT: For some reason, removing the bodypart and then reapplying it has seemed to fix the issue. Strange.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 08:56:06 pm by FatlessComic »

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: August 02, 2021, 11:11:18 pm »

3) Add [MAXAGE:1:12] to the female caste, so that they hopefully die off before coming of age. Somehow, this still doesn't work during world gen

Did you try the opposite? That is, giving [MAXAGE:1:12] to males, and no [MAXAGE] tags to females? I remember accidentally having modded civs becoming extinct due to that, plus from ridiculously increased pop ratio for males.

FatlessComic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: August 03, 2021, 08:14:55 pm »

I was finishing up one of my new creature mods, and I had posted a previous comment about it..but..I'm unsure if I have the correct results. I want this creature to have silver horns, but I just want the horns to be silver. Is this correct? I'm also not sure if this cowman actually has silver blood.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: August 04, 2021, 02:07:32 am »

I was finishing up one of my new creature mods, and I had posted a previous comment about it..but..I'm unsure if I have the correct results. I want this creature to have silver horns, but I just want the horns to be silver. Is this correct? I'm also not sure if this cowman actually has silver blood.

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SILVER]
Here, what you're telling the game to do is take your silver tissue and add a layer of it over whatever current tissues there are on every body part with a category (so basically, all of them).

If you'd like it to be applied over just the horns, you can target them using BY_CATEGORY:HORN. However, things will get funky if you're also using BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS, as this will already be making horns with a layer of what's given to it as an arg as bone, and ontop of that a layer of whatever tissue is named HORN on the creature. You could make use of this if you wanted, provided that you want every caste of the creature with horns to have silver ones:
  • Do as you did with defining a custom tissue made of silver material for your horns, but give it the ID HORN.
  • Define the creature's body (+ any additions in the caste).
  • After both of those, use BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS as usual.
That way, that body plan will use the tissue as the horn material automatically (though this assumes that you still want bone to be at the core of the horns, as is normal).

Alternatively, if you have multiple castes using horns and you only want one caste to have silver horns, you can:
  • Use BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS as normal.
  • Define a custom silver horn tissue as you have.
  • In the caste that wants silver horns, use [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HORN:BY_CATEGORY:HORN] (this selects any tissue layers made up of the creature's HORN tissue appearing on any of its body parts categorised as HORN), and follow that with [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:Your_silver_horn_tissue_here]. This tells the game to swap the selected tissue with the one you provided, but only on the tissue layers of the selected parts.
(Again, this assumes you want a core of bone in the middle)

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SILVER:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
   [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SILVER:LIQUID]
Here, you're defining a new material based on a material template, that template being the BLOOD_TEMPLATE, and giving it the ID SILVER. Then, you're telling the game to use that material (in liquid form) as that caste's blood.

Because you aren't changing anything about the material in any way from what's set out in the BLOOD_TEMPLATE, the caste's blood is going to be no different than any other creature's blood. If you want it to be silvery, then make changes to that material you defined as SILVER.

Alternatively, if you wanted the creature's blood to literally be molten silver (which you probably don't want to do, because molten silver is very hot :P), you could skip defining any materials and use [BLOOD:INORGANIC:SILVER:LIQUID].

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: August 04, 2021, 03:31:34 am »

Use BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS as normal.
    Define a custom silver horn tissue as you have.
    In the caste that wants silver horns, use [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HORN:BY_CATEGORY:HORN] (this selects any tissue layers made up of the creature's HORN tissue appearing on any of its body parts categorised as HORN), and follow that with [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:Your_silver_horn_tissue_here]. This tells the game to swap the selected tissue with the one you provided, but only on the tissue layers of the selected parts.

You can also select by token, to make a particular BP a material in a non-verbose way to affect all of its materials. Go to body.txt with the details of the creature that you're currently using, find the identifier that's currently loaded into your creature.

Then select layer, BY_TOKEN, and input identifier. It'll get a lock onto it and change it.

Here's a example i made previously
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_TOKEN:UB] // upper body
    [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:SKIN:SSTROLL_HIDE_TEMPLATE]

The furthest down defined tokens/code is always the most relevant, so you wouldnt need to actually remove materials in the select_tissue_layer arguements before you change them.

FatlessComic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: August 04, 2021, 10:38:23 am »

So took me a while to figure it out and get to the point where there's no errors in the errorlog... but is this correct?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: August 04, 2021, 04:09:29 pm »

[BODY:2HEAD_HORN]
Here's a problem, [BODY:] isn't additive code that is there to be pasted over and would be the most difficult to do, all that exists of this bullman is exactly its horns, if you want a caste to differ you'll have to remove the from the non-caste level animal, and define them inside the castes seperately; which a great example can be found within deer.

[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE:2HEAD_ANTLER]
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
[ATTACK:HGORE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:HORN]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:gore:gores]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:HOOF_FRONT]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:kick:kicks]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:4]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]
[ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:HOOF_REAR]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:kick:kicks]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:4]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]
[ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HOOF:HOOF_TEMPLATE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:antler]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:antler]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HOOF:HOOF_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_NAME:antler:NP]

As you can see, the whole creature is there and the male buck deer has the antlers (at the end though the ordering doesnt in my experience really do anything) and its relevant attack, while the CASTE:ALL has all remaining facets, including a much later loaded in horn template, even though the doe doesn't use it. This isn't to contradict what i said, its just a outlier to the rule and specifically because of later definitions of [BODY:] in abstract does it show to work.

Lastly I wouldnt use this as a backup or point of direct reference because it lacks the syntax spacing for arguements (less importantly tidyness). Silver in this instance is the one in inorganic_metal.txt typically and is named in the convention of that file so should work.

Other than that, seems fine, the game interpreted the [BODY:] misplacement as correct logic so when fixed, everything else should fall neatly into place
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 04:11:52 pm by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: August 04, 2021, 06:37:16 pm »

Here's a problem, [BODY:] isn't additive code that is there to be pasted over and would be the most difficult to do, all that exists of this bullman is exactly its horns, if you want a caste to differ you'll have to remove the from the non-caste level animal, and define them inside the castes seperately;

No, you can absolutely do that and don't need to do them in the castes separately. You could easily replace:

[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[MALE]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE:2HEAD_ANTLER]

with

[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[MALE]
[BODY:2HEAD_ANTLER]

And it would work fine.

FatlessComic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: August 04, 2021, 08:37:25 pm »

Here's a problem, [BODY:] isn't additive code that is there to be pasted over and would be the most difficult to do, all that exists of this bullman is exactly its horns, if you want a caste to differ you'll have to remove the from the non-caste level animal, and define them inside the castes seperately;

No, you can absolutely do that and don't need to do them in the castes separately. You could easily replace:

[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[MALE]

with

[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[MALE]
[BODY:2HEAD_ANTLER]

And it would work fine.

That's basically what I've done. The main body for the normal, more common cowmen are already defined further up in the creature's code, and they are without horns. The (much) rarer variant I mentioned earlier has horns, and silver ones at that! It took me a lot of trial and error but I finally am starting to get the hang of it all. Everyone has been so helpful!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: August 15, 2021, 05:53:55 am »

If you have a four-armed playable race (e.g. some kind of antman), can they be equipped with both a ranged and melee weapon, and will they use them, in fortress mode ?

iirc, the wiki says a four-armed race would usually have 1 weapon and 3 shields, which I'd expect for generated ones, but what about playable ones ?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: August 15, 2021, 07:00:30 am »

If you have a four-armed playable race (e.g. some kind of antman), can they be equipped with both a ranged and melee weapon, and will they use them, in fortress mode ?

iirc, the wiki says a four-armed race would usually have 1 weapon and 3 shields, which I'd expect for generated ones, but what about playable ones ?

Adventurers can use as many things as they want to grasp because the player has direct control, but fortress mode races are more restricted as the AI sorts it to how they think it is appropriate, the player inputs what to wear jn the military screen and they'll toddle off and try and fufill it. Fortress races can carry shields in the offhand per grasp, but can't multiweapon easily as it also needs to be light enough for them to carry on their backs with a two-handed creature example.

• Dwarves will "kite" with their weapons then swap, but its very finnicky to set this up without literally stripping them bare and giving them a lot of armor training and a streamlined set of armor. You also have to micromanage their training so that they opt to try ranged attacks first then when close enough, switch to a high level of a seperate skill of melee.
Shields only get by the exception of multiples because they are armor wheras weapons always come in singles for "primary weapon", unless you add attacks using a roses-DFhack script to a psuedo-offhand sword-shield which is modded hacking which would be close enough to multi-handed weapon as you can get.

Unfortunately this isn't much of a modding related question ultimately, as none of the [RAW] token fixtures lets you do anything further than DFhack can manage.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: August 16, 2021, 02:44:42 pm »

I'm playing a drow civilisation, and one of the neighbours is another drow civilisation, from a different entity, the drow outcasts, that are a babysnatcher, like the goblins and driders that are also present in the world.

Will the drow outcasts attack my fortress, because they're a babysnatcher entity, or will they not attack because they're the same race ?

How can I adjust entities so that the drow outcasts and normal drow civs are hostile to each other ?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: August 16, 2021, 04:37:45 pm »

Will the drow outcasts attack my fortress, because they're a babysnatcher entity, or will they not attack because they're the same race ?

How can I adjust entities so that the drow outcasts and normal drow civs are hostile to each other ?

Depends on the exact values and ethics but [BABYSNATCHER] essentially slaps a big negative penalty to diplomatic status, which you could consider a "team" of civilizations, further diversified by what they believe in. Its a easy enough fix to put a big malus, but if they're very similar they could possibly breach over their differences to combat a larger threat than themselves with a alliance.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 365