Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 364

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 644854 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5085 on: November 16, 2021, 09:08:11 pm »

[POWER] monsters dont become direct leaders anymore (many version out on that one, toady dumped it by the time temples came around in 44. for practicality reasons of coming back to it when the structurework is more robust, they can be worshipped instead) , but titans & dieties in worldgen will give out slabs if the secret is teachable. (see below for discussion on mb)

My knowledge isn't very deep on the subject to hand about the supernatural tag, if it doesnt work out of the box for you id recommend waiting along for a experienced creature modder like ZM5.

Reading out of what i know however, supernatural learning got pulled back for balance reasons upcoming to 47. and most if not all of them are considered "Divine" punishments/boons. You can't incur a supernaturally incurred curse without a defamation of (which might be connected to the night creature tokens) temple you believe in which dramatically cut numbers in wg or contracting it from a existing member without being dropped into the game by wg controls or offering your god civilized worship with a greedy intention to live forever as a lure (necromancers, but mainstream followers will in time just have plaques thrown at them).

Workaround if your god is very niche nonmainstream is to manifest it externally using Putnam's DFhack edit&add gods script. Titans represent nature so i have heard of people reporting  after so many years they'll will start throwing plaques of nature-lore at people because they individually represent a biome sphere or natural aspect, but those are unique for their [TITAN] token i do think.

[UNIQUE_DEMON] and [DEMON] in defined 47. raws might be a better bet, since they're malleable, and you can just set the demon count to 0.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: November 26, 2021, 08:37:54 am »

With [ITEMCORPSE], is there a way to make it a SMALLGEM of a specific cut shape?

Also, is there a way to make a body part possible to attack and damage/destroy (and grab etc, it's fully exposed), but impossible to sever/disconnect from the rest of the body? What I'm trying to do is make a creature with some levitating body parts that aren't "really" connected to anything else, and are instead controlled "telekinetically".

Finally, can you remove a tissue layer added elsewhere by a body detail plan by using [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:NONE]?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5087 on: November 27, 2021, 07:39:17 am »

When testing other parts of the raws I have had creatures with multiple ”main” body parts defined, with no complaints coming from the game during loading/placing them in arena mode. They may still be broken in some other non-surface level way, I suppose.

holam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: November 28, 2021, 09:00:36 am »

I am in a modded version of "dwarf fortes 44.12" and I am trying to use the [POWER] tag and it isn´t working

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: November 28, 2021, 01:16:13 pm »

I am in a modded version of "dwarf fortes 44.12" and I am trying to use the [POWER] tag and it isn´t working

What is your perception of it 'Working' so we can more accurately pin it down the issue?

In 47.xx [POWER] creatures (currently only limited to megabeasts in vanilla and demons) are viewed with awe by survivors of attacks who canon-ize them as their diety-figures, but the actual behaviour for a bronze collossus or giant to simply take over the entire nation for instance has been disabled by Toady, so a lot of the function of power may be missing.

It doesn't count creatures that are already 'civilized' (to spawn in a nation) according to wiki documentation as having any particular advantage over others of their kind, but might culminate if it was attached to a powerful caste of monster who can join as a adventurer and therefore come in from the outside of the civ that way.

I do memorize from 44.ish that a few examples of a talking dog with power, getting sucked in as a tamed animal and therefore not a citizen seemed to work.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: November 29, 2021, 03:51:49 pm »

Is there a way to represent bodily cavities? I've defined a couple of body parts which are supposed to be a large chest cavity and a pair of empty eye sockets, and as such they are [EMBEDDED][APERTURE][SMALL].

I'd thought that would mean they don't need a tissue (since they are apertures, not actual parts), but I'm getting a "no tissue thickness" error on them still; I don't get how that makes sense; if they are an aperture (hole in the body), surely that inherently means what defines them is that they don't have any tissue to them?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: November 29, 2021, 04:48:50 pm »

What is needed in the entity file to generate a world? If I delete everything but the dwarf entity, a world won't generate.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5092 on: November 29, 2021, 04:58:24 pm »

Is there a way to represent bodily cavities? I've defined a couple of body parts which are supposed to be a large chest cavity and a pair of empty eye sockets, and as such they are [EMBEDDED][APERTURE][SMALL].

I'd thought that would mean they don't need a tissue (since they are apertures, not actual parts), but I'm getting a "no tissue thickness" error on them still; I don't get how that makes sense; if they are an aperture (hole in the body), surely that inherently means what defines them is that they don't have any tissue to them?

The main reason for the APERTURE tag is to place on [EMBEDDED] parts to specify that they cannot be cut off, grabbed, or gouged.  Technically it still counts as a body part though.  Conceptually, the tissue layer is there to represent the stuff someone will hit if they attack the cavity, so if there's supposed to be skin on the inside of the hole you should use that, but if it's meant to be exposing the muscle directly you should use muscle.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5093 on: November 29, 2021, 05:06:14 pm »

What is needed in the entity file to generate a world? If I delete everything but the dwarf entity, a world won't generate.

Worldgen requires entities to be in valid starting biomes, without too much savagery, and at some distance from one another, and has a certain number of civilizations that must be placed to be considered successful.  If all it has to work with are dwarves, there might not be enough mountains to go around.  You might be able to fix this by letting dwarf civilizations start in biomes other than mountains, try giving them [START_BIOME:ANY_LAND].

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: November 29, 2021, 07:13:36 pm »

Worldgen requires entities to be in valid starting biomes, without too much savagery, and at some distance from one another, and has a certain number of civilizations that must be placed to be considered successful.  If all it has to work with are dwarves, there might not be enough mountains to go around.  You might be able to fix this by letting dwarf civilizations start in biomes other than mountains, try giving them [START_BIOME:ANY_LAND].

That worked. Thanks.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: November 30, 2021, 11:12:56 am »

Does a creature need to have [EQUIPS] in order to be able to perform hauling labors? I seem to be able to pick up items in the object testing arena without it, but considering it spawned me in with the item strapped to my back, I suspect the arena might be cheating/not respecting my lack of EQUIPS.

And can a creature dance without any [STANCE] body parts?

Finally, why does this syndrome not appear to be working correctly?
Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:RAISED_UNDEAD]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:TARGET_CREATURE_1]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:TARGET_CREATURE_2]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:NECROMANCER]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:RAISED_UNDEAD]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:RAISED_GHOST]
[SYN_CONTACT][SYN_INHALED][SYN_INGESTED][SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:165:3:0:0:FREQUENCY:2000:1000:START:500:ABRUPT]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:300:1000:TOUGHNESS:300:1000:START:500:ABRUPT] [CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:500:ABRUPT]
[CE_REMOVE_TAG:HAS_BLOOD:TRANCES:LIKES_FIGHTING:MISCHIEVOUS:START:500:ABRUPT]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:zombie:zombies:zombified:START:0:ABRUPT]

Specifically, the problems are that according to the 'v' menu, the syndrome is being applied to creatures other than the 2 TARGET_CREATUREs, even the ones who have the NECROMANCER creature class (when they should be immune).

And when it comes to the TARGET_CREATURE_1 and TARGET_CREATURE_2, it seems to only partially work; they never have their CE_DISPLAY_NAME updated, and they have messages about exertion/exhaustion and being "mortally wounded", even though they should be undead now (since I basically copied part of this from the example interactions folder).

And with both, even despite the RAISED_UNDEAD syndrome class and the SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS, it seems to be stacking the syndrome infinitely (the window saying something like ", 39 phases (2808 seconds)"), and this just goes higher and higher all the time as long as the material I have this syndrome attached to is on their skin.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 11:35:55 am by Mr_Crabman »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #5096 on: November 30, 2021, 11:53:24 am »

Does a creature need to have [EQUIPS] in order to be able to perform hauling labors? I seem to be able to pick up items in the object testing arena without it, but considering it spawned me in with the item strapped to my back, I suspect the arena might be cheating/not respecting my lack of EQUIPS.

I believe hauling checks for GRASP body parts.  Try equipping armor as a creature without EQUIPS and see how that works.

Specifically, the problems are that according to the 'v' menu, the syndrome is being applied to creatures other than the 2 TARGET_CREATUREs, and the only reason I even bothered putting the SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS there is because the syndrome kept getting applied to the creature producing the syndrome-bearing material as well.

You could add SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON, but according to the wiki your problem shouldn't be happening in the first place.  I suspect defining an SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS might help, and you could add that class to your target creatures.

And when it comes to the TARGET_CREATURE_1 and TARGET_CREATURE_2, it seems to only partially work; they never have their CE_DISPLAY_NAME updated, and they have messages about exertion/exhaustion and being "mortally wounded", even though they should be undead now (since I basically copied part of this from the example interactions folder).

I noticed these effects in my work on Manymancy too.  For example, creatures with NO_BREATHE still get "mortally wounded" by syndromes that impair lungs.

The display name issue is a bit misleading:  It renames the creature species and you can see this work correctly in Legends, Adventurer, and Fortress modes.  But in the Arena, every creature has an actual personal name, generated when they first spawn.  For example, "the human Human 1" becomes "the zombie Human 1".

And with both, even despite the RAISED_UNDEAD syndrome class and the SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS, it seems to be stacking the syndrome infinitely (the window saying something like ", 39 phases (2808 seconds)"), and this just goes higher and higher all the time as long as the material I have this syndrome attached to is on their skin.

"Phases" are an in-game unit of time.  If the syndrome has only one counter, it only applies once.  You can give it a name to help debugging.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: November 30, 2021, 12:44:07 pm »

I believe hauling checks for GRASP body parts.  Try equipping armor as a creature without EQUIPS and see how that works.

Hm, it seems in the arena I'm still able to put on an iron chestplate despite not having EQUIPS (I assume; it's listed in my (i)nventory as being on my upper body after using 'w' to wear it).

I noticed these effects in my work on Manymancy too.  For example, creatures with NO_BREATHE still get "mortally wounded" by syndromes that impair lungs.

Well, now that you say that, I suppose that makes sense; it was lingering on "mortally wounded" for a suspiciously long time...

The display name issue is a bit misleading:  It renames the creature species and you can see this work correctly in Legends, Adventurer, and Fortress modes.  But in the Arena, every creature has an actual personal name, generated when they first spawn.  For example, "the human Human 1" becomes "the zombie Human 1".

Ah, that explains that problem then.

You could add SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON, but according to the wiki your problem shouldn't be happening in the first place.  I suspect defining an SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS might help, and you could add that class to your target creatures.

Thank you; but I think I've suddenly realized the problem. I'm supposed to specify the castes as well as the creature.

"Phases" are an in-game unit of time.  If the syndrome has only one counter, it only applies once.  You can give it a name to help debugging.

I'm not sure I understand, isn't the whole reason behind for instance, the vanilla RAISED_UNDEAD syndrome class, to prevent corpses being "raised" multiple times or something?

Or do you mean that if it were being applied multiple times, I would be seeing multiple lines showing the duration of the syndrome?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #5098 on: November 30, 2021, 01:23:46 pm »

I'm not sure I understand, isn't the whole reason behind for instance, the vanilla RAISED_UNDEAD syndrome class, to prevent corpses being "raised" multiple times or something?

Or do you mean that if it were being applied multiple times, I would be seeing multiple lines showing the duration of the syndrome?

You are right.  It shouldn't be possible to apply the syndrome several time because it gives the SYN_CLASS:RAISED_UNDEAD and then the creature is immune due to SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:RAISED_UNDEAD.

If multiple syndromes are active at the same time, they are all listed by their SYN_NAME (or a single comma for unnamed syndromes like yours) and each one has their own duration.  I highly recommend you give the syndrome a name, for example "zombification".

To clarify:  The numbers are the duration (or "tick counter", or "phases", or "timer"), and it goes up as time passes.  For example, the Raw for alcohol has an END:1200, which means drunk people stop vomiting precisely 1200 phases after drinking something, at which point the syndrome goes away and the person can get drunk again.  You set the zombie syndrome to START:500, therefore the game doesn't do its effects until 500 or more phases have been reached.

(If you want the delay to be several hours long, like the pufferfish poison myth, you might be interested in DWF_STRETCH to synchronise Fortress and Adventurer modes.)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: November 30, 2021, 02:45:11 pm »

You are right.  It shouldn't be possible to apply the syndrome several time because it gives the SYN_CLASS:RAISED_UNDEAD and then the creature is immune due to SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:RAISED_UNDEAD.

I might be wrong, but I've understood that syndrome classes can't be used in syndromes to make a creature of said syndrome class immune to the syndrome. It is used in interactions (e.g., IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:<syndrome class>), like in raising undead lieutenants:

SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS and SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS on the other hand need a specific creature class (like CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON), which can't be given with a syndrome.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 364