Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 362

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 635142 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5175 on: May 22, 2022, 02:14:50 am »

What about creatures such as centaurs, satyrs, and my beastmen, that have hooves instead of feet. Any way so they don't get bad thoughts about not wearing socks ?

I'm not sure, but maybe they could wear hipposandals / horseshoes.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: May 22, 2022, 06:54:18 am »

What about creatures such as centaurs, satyrs, and my beastmen, that have hooves instead of feet. Any way so they don't get bad thoughts about not wearing socks ?

I'm not sure, but maybe they could wear hipposandals / horseshoes.

Well, yes, I could make their own boots items, with appropriate name, so that they'd wear them.

It's just that, for hooved creatures, ordinarily they don't need footwear, because their hooves are tough enough.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5177 on: May 22, 2022, 03:12:29 pm »

Ideally, I'd like them to have different colours of head hair, and body wool, if that's even possible ?

If you're talking about descriptor text, that is easy and is done by many creatures.  If you want them to drop different colors of wool that retain their color when turned into items, this is possible, but much more difficult. You have to define a different material for each color wool and then manually assign the appropriate wool to the particular body part, splitting the colors up into different castes if you want different individuals to have different colors.  I did this to make different color Yoshi leather; it's a fair amount of extra work.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: May 22, 2022, 06:02:19 pm »

How do I make a race only wear trinkets and armor, but not casual clothing?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: May 23, 2022, 12:47:51 am »

How do I make a race only wear trinkets and armor, but not casual clothing?

Try checking their entity file, and look for these kind of things:
   [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:COMMON]
   [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT:COMMON]

removing the shirt, but keeping the mail shirt, for example, should mean they won't have shirts, but will have armour, I think.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: June 05, 2022, 05:10:15 pm »

If I give [STRANGE_MOODS] to animal men, would they go extinct from insanity due to the fact that their civilizations don't build workshops? Would giving the [AMPHIBIOUS] tag to dwarves let them build underwater?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: June 06, 2022, 08:27:47 am »

If I give [STRANGE_MOODS] to animal men, would they go extinct from insanity due to the fact that their civilizations don't build workshops? Would giving the [AMPHIBIOUS] tag to dwarves let them build underwater?

For underwater dwarves thing, I don't think the game allows anything to generate underwater.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: June 06, 2022, 11:13:06 pm »

For underwater dwarves thing, I don't think the game allows anything to generate underwater.
Pretty sure the pathing code in fort mode doesn't allow amphibious creatures to path in water either.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: June 07, 2022, 01:27:55 am »

Pretty sure the pathing code in fort mode doesn't allow amphibious creatures to path in water either.

Sites are generated well above the waterline, and amphibious races (or least a amphibious army, or amphibious pack animals with amphibious people leading them/amphibious wagons + pullers) are required for them to ever leave the site, unless they can fly because of pathing rules for terrain. In fortress mode they might survive in water but they wont be able to path through it well (or at all)

The Naga people of the Masterwork mod are a good archetype for showing this off, since technically they live on the interior of major lakes that are inaccessible.

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: June 12, 2022, 01:48:20 pm »

Does "SKILL_RATES:percentage:unused:rust:demotion" have the same effect a as combination of "SKILL_LEARN_RATES:percentage" and "SKILL_RUST_RATES:unused:rust:demotion"? The wiki doesn't explicitly say so, but it appears as if it does.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: June 13, 2022, 03:59:17 pm »

Probably a really simple question that I just cannot wrap my head around at the moment.

How do I take a single body part and change what material it is made of? Say I want an elephant with steel tusks, or a lion with copper skin, but all of the other materials stay the same, how would I do that?

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: June 14, 2022, 01:45:46 am »

Probably a really simple question that I just cannot wrap my head around at the moment.

How do I take a single body part and change what material it is made of? Say I want an elephant with steel tusks, or a lion with copper skin, but all of the other materials stay the same, how would I do that?
If you want the entire existing tissue to be a specific material, it's nice and easy. You can just use SELECT_TISSUE to select the tissue whose material you want to change, then use TISSUE_MATERIAL to change what material it's made of. For the copper-skinned lions, you could do:
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE:SKIN]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:COPPER]

If you want to get trickier and only have certain areas have a different material for their tissue, you can do that too quite easily. One way to do this is by creating the body + tissue layers as normal, then using SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER and SET_TISSUE_LAYER to swap the tissue with a different one. Here's an example from one of my mods that I always reference - it's for a creature who is a regular humanoid, but has a scaly tail:
-- Make tail scaled rather than skinned
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL]
[SET_LAYER_TISSUE:SCALE]

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: June 14, 2022, 04:26:38 am »

If you want to get trickier and only have certain areas have a different material for their tissue, you can do that too quite easily. One way to do this is by creating the body + tissue layers as normal, then using SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER and SET_TISSUE_LAYER to swap the tissue with a different one. Here's an example from one of my mods that I always reference - it's for a creature who is a regular humanoid, but has a scaly tail:

Any idea if this works with changing the body part's tissue type partially, like making it scaly only on the back?

Like this:

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:BACK]

I tried something like that a while back. It didn't spit any errors, but I couldn't figure out how to check it in the Arena if it changed the whole layer or only the back.

Graysire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: June 15, 2022, 08:43:44 pm »

Adding [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:3:3] to a creature that is part of a civ seems to be crashing my world gen. I'd like renegade creatures of that type to appear deep underground, is it possible to do this without duplicating the raws?

I have a decently large number of modded creatures I'd like to add at varying underground levels, some of which are currently parts of entities and some ofwhich are already part of outdoor populations.
Is there any good way for me to add those to various underground layers without duplication? For instance, is it possible to have a creature exist in deserts on the surface, but also on cavern layers 2-3 (possibly regardless of biome)?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 09:07:00 pm by Graysire »

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: June 16, 2022, 01:28:53 am »

Any idea if this works with changing the body part's tissue type partially, like making it scaly only on the back?

Like this:

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:BACK]

I tried something like that a while back. It didn't spit any errors, but I couldn't figure out how to check it in the Arena if it changed the whole layer or only the back.
I've never been able to work out how the directional tissue layers work, or if they even work at all, so I wouldn't know. If it's not throwing errors then it's best to assume that it's probably working and not look too much into it to see if it's actually doing anything. Ignorance is bliss, after all :P
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 362