Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 362

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 635051 times)

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #5205 on: July 21, 2022, 11:04:41 am »

So a tissue on a specific bodypart can only have one color?

Technically yes, but there are special "pattern colours" that can be used to sort of fake multiple colours on a part. See descriptor_pattern_special.txt for a list of them; you can also add your own, since it's luckily part of the raws and not hardcoded.

Pattern descriptors are used identically to colour tokens. For an example, here's how giraffe hair is coloured in the raws:
Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:STRIPES_BROWN_WHITE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]

And the descriptor it's referencing:
[COLOR_PATTERN:STRIPES_BROWN_WHITE]
[PATTERN:STRIPES]
[CP_COLOR:BROWN]
[CP_COLOR:WHITE]

Valid pattern arguments are STRIPES, SPOTS and MOTTLED (and a couple used for eye colours).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 11:08:25 am by Dirtcopter77 »

hopefullynotobvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling around obliviously
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: July 23, 2022, 11:21:07 am »

Does the [EVIL] token affect megabeasts? The wiki says that the [BIOME] token determines where they make their lairs and i wonderd if the [EVIL] token did so aswell?
(Also thank you to FantasticDorf and Dirtcopter77 for answering my earlier questions.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:24:32 am by hopefullynotobvious »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: July 23, 2022, 04:36:03 pm »

Does the [EVIL] token affect megabeasts? The wiki says that the [BIOME] token determines where they make their lairs and i wonderd if the [EVIL] token did so aswell?

Nope they're usually passed over the fact, because evil and good regions are generated more afterwards of biomes so have nowhere to throw the megabeast creature down in the DFworld to if they are [EVIL].

hopefullynotobvious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: July 24, 2022, 06:39:51 am »

Are there any examples of the RAWs of the positions generated by [VARIABLE_POSITIONS] and [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS]? I want to know how human site governments work, specifically succesion.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 06:42:03 am by hopefullynotobvious »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: July 24, 2022, 03:30:13 pm »

Are there any examples of the RAWs of the positions generated by [VARIABLE_POSITIONS] and [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS]? I want to know how human site governments work, specifically succesion.

Exactly? Not much, they have a Monarch who sits in a mead hall site capital with their personal entourage of 47.01 officials and their military troop recruits & general i think, all of these can be overwritten however quite easily. (advisors specifically have string-texts in thier position names to tell them apart for editing)

Goblin sites a bit more interesting in 47. because they don't have [POSITION:MONARCH] like other races do and instead the master role is managed with a [POSITION:HF_WORSHIP] with a general, and i can't remember if elf sites have any variable units or if they'll always generate independent queens on their own. Kobold sites, and dwarf sites are unknown to me, i assume the latter has atleast a mock-up of the standard positons and the kobolds caves simply have none.

Simply being, a king and general are the bare nessecities, and they generate the supplimentary troop and advisor fodder for middle management on their own.

Cervisomant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: July 26, 2022, 04:03:02 pm »

Hello everybody,

i need some help since I am a bit (understatement) confused by the migration of the raw/objects upon new world creation. I modified the raw of the game itself because i wanted to experiment with an alternative dwarven society during world creation. So I changed dwarves (creature and entity) to basically an ant-like culture: Women have 5-10 Children at once, live twice as long as men, are the only one able to be assinged any position - from militia-commander way up to Queen - but make up only ten percent of the population. On Top of that some mino "flavor"-changes: female brokers are called "Brokess/Brokesses" and value of romance and self-controll brought up to 10 and 15 from 0. Also Oathbreaking was increased to unthinkable. Oh and i also added beards to women because it's basically there already and i found it satisfyingly ironic to increase the gener-gap enormously but eradicate even the last bit of sexual bimorphism.

But the changes, at least in the raws, did not carry over. ...\Dwarf Fortress 0.47.05\data\save\region5\raw is as vanilla as it gets. And i fail to see a pattern behind which changes persisted and which didn't.

I will list the changes i made below in spoilers to save on space.

Worked:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kind of/maybe worked:

Didn't Work:

I don't see what went wrong where... is someone able to enlighten me? It's not that i couldn't think of a way to fix this: just copy over the raws of the game file to the respective region. But i want to know how to avoid this in the future.

Thanks for any help and have a nice day.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: July 26, 2022, 06:04:12 pm »

I don't see what went wrong where... is someone able to enlighten me? It's not that i couldn't think of a way to fix this: just copy over the raws of the game file to the respective region. But i want to know how to avoid this in the future.

There's seemingly nothing wrong, but if you're new to modding, the general process of RAW modding is to generate a new world per set of changes you make, as a static unchangable copy is copied onto the world-saves in generation, editing the raw in that save space wont have any effect since it exists just to allow peer to peer share saves without porting extra files and regenerates itself to its original state if altered like a backup.

In short: If you're editing the raws and re-entering the same world-save, you wont notice any effect as the pre-edited raws are stuck on the save.

About the expedition leader, the most popular citizen with the most social skills in the fortress is always nominated, its a bit of hardcode to just smooth over who's the "leader" per say. Which carries over more formally to the Mayor noble with the [ELECTED] (i can't remember if the rules for 'official' election can be bound stricter, i least think you can define succession more closely)

Cervisomant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: July 26, 2022, 07:05:06 pm »

There's seemingly nothing wrong, but if you're new to modding, the general process of RAW modding is to generate a new world per set of changes you make, as a static unchangable copy is copied onto the world-saves in generation, editing the raw in that save space wont have any effect since it exists just to allow peer to peer share saves without porting extra files and regenerates itself to its original state if altered like a backup.

In short: If you're editing the raws and re-entering the same world-save, you wont notice any effect as the pre-edited raws are stuck on the save.

About the expedition leader, the most popular citizen with the most social skills in the fortress is always nominated, its a bit of hardcode to just smooth over who's the "leader" per say. Which carries over more formally to the Mayor noble with the [ELECTED] (i can't remember if the rules for 'official' election can be bound stricter, i least think you can define succession more closely)

Thanks for the info about the Expedition Leader.

Concerning the other point: I realize that i did not make that clear: I Edited the game raws specifically for world-generation. So no re-entering or anyhing. I edited, and then made a fresh world.

hopefullynotobvious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: July 28, 2022, 09:30:53 am »

I have some position related questions:

Can you have multiple site positions with [RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_MAKING]?

Can you have a position with [LAND_HOLDER] and a site position with [RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_MAKING]?

Is a position with [LAND_HOLDER] neccessary for castle mounds to be built in hillocks?
(I think it is as when i removed the [LAND_HOLDER] position from my civ they did not build castle mounds, but I would like confirmation)

newtyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: August 04, 2022, 11:12:36 pm »

Is there a way to make a new collection of pet animals. So, it can be included in a new custom entity.
A secondary less preferable option would be a way to change the animals that are part of it. Which at a minimum I could do by searching to see which creatures were in the collection and then removing the appropriate tag. (Or adding it if I wanted to add a creature to a collection).

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5215 on: August 05, 2022, 06:24:25 am »

Is there a way to make a new collection of pet animals. So, it can be included in a new custom entity.
A secondary less preferable option would be a way to change the animals that are part of it. Which at a minimum I could do by searching to see which creatures were in the collection and then removing the appropriate tag. (Or adding it if I wanted to add a creature to a collection).
There are no "collections" of animals. It's hard to limit animals to a certain entity, unless use good/evil/cave animals:

See the tags USE_ANY_PET_RACE, USE_CAVE_ANIMALS, USE_EVIL_ANIMALS, USE_GOOD_ANIMALS, USE_NON_EXOTIC_PET_RACE, COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET
in https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token

I guess I would expand the GOOD type pets for your new civ.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: August 05, 2022, 06:39:40 am »

There are no "collections" of animals. It's hard to limit animals to a certain entity, unless use good/evil/cave animals:

You can use creature classes to make pet packs for civs.

For example, give each desired animal [CREATURE_CLASS:NEW_PET] and then add to the entity the following:

[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_CLASS:NEW_PET]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

newtyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: August 05, 2022, 10:26:04 am »

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Creature classes is a pretty catch name

hopefullynotobvious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: August 05, 2022, 01:27:17 pm »

Does the [SUPERNATURAL] grant secrets outside of worldgen?
When I started with this creature in adventure mode or created it in the object testing arena it didn't have the ability that my secret was supposed to grant.
(The secret worked fine when I applied it to a human)

My creature:
My secret + creature action:

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5219 on: August 08, 2022, 07:06:09 am »

then add to the entity the following:
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_CLASS:NEW_PET]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]
Thanks. OldGenesis is so old that we don't use these newfangled features.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 362