Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: <3World Generator tips and tricks<3  (Read 51 times)

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
<3World Generator tips and tricks<3
« on: April 26, 2024, 02:17:28 pm »

the world generator is the foundation on which the entire game sits upon and it can be a little Unweildy!

I just want to share a few things that will hopefully help you generate worlds with out crashes and give you more freedom over world generation.

The populations numbers are crucial, they need to be lethally accurate, incorrect values here cause a crash, the way you form you world can cause these values to become invalid and generation will crash.  im not 100% sure, but it is what it looks like! 100%.

So when you change a world and you start to get a solid crash(outside of world generator errors comlaining about values) ...change the populations to very small, and or shrink them until the crash vanishes and world generation resumes.

If shrinking the population caps doesn't solve it and you're still getting crashes then try raising the number of civilizations until world generation resumes.

If your modding and change something and when you go to test it, the game crashes, think first did i change population numbers!?!???.......cause at first, I never thought its crashing cause of null populations,.. i thought! I just used a mod I made.. and changed.... and its crashing now.....

There is also a direct powerful connection to total world generation time, where the larger the civ populations are the more history you have, the longer it takes to build that world.  A world with small or very small populations can generate thousands of years of history blazingly fast.

Populations also effect world building directly! again values here need to be lethally accurate...if they are too small, very little building happens or none at all! if you notice the lack of world building in your world and its generating error free and without crashing, raise the populations until you get the desired amount of world building, but stop before or....after.... you start to get population issues.

Civilization total also increases world building but increases generation time.

Civilization total can also cause maps to reject even if they are other wise good.

Poles also can cause crash set this to none in rare cases. If the world successfully generates on none, try different pole settings if none of them work other than none then your world requires no pole

I am sure there are more examples of values in the generator that cause problems, but for me noticing this pattern, I no longer have world generation issues and when I do!, I look to these values first, and then I dont have a problem any more.

*@<3hope this is useful for someone<3@*