Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Small things that made you feel completely awesome  (Read 21391 times)

Sirtaquito

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Small things that made you feel completely awesome
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:54:43 am »

As the title says what are some things that make you feel like a Badass/Awesome/Genius.
Personally mine, My Hunter killed a whole herd of Unicorns...singlehandely
  :D

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small things that made you feel completely awesome
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:20:23 am »

that day when one of my axedwarves decided to take on a swamp titan outside the gates and after a long but uneventful battle ("...but he rolls away") ignored his masterful candy axe and killed the titan with a single punch to the stommach. i named him "old shatterhand".
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:34:29 am »

Elf traders were irritating me, so I ordered them killed.  The military couldn't be bothered, and the elves stood there looking smug with impunity.  Just then a hunter - with impeccable aim, and a great sense of humor - gut shot an eagle so that it fell out of the sky, directly onto the lead merchant.  Shocked turned to mortified disgust as the eagle, entangled with the pointy eared bastard, proceeded to roll around on the ground vomiting all over him, and his precious wood and cloth trash.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:57:15 am »

The first time I built a working pump stack and waterfall. Seriously, I was like the goddamn Frankenstein: "It lives! MWAHAHAHAA!"
Also, the first time I found the caverns. Felt like I was preparing an expedition to an incredible, hostile alien dimension like the Underworld in Ultima V.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:27:38 am »

I was like the goddamn Frankenstein: "It lives! MWAHAHAHAA!"

had that one when my raspberrypi booted the first time, successfully established a network connection and prompted me with a ssh login
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:31:01 am »

Back when Dungeonmasters roamed the land clad only in their 10 cloaks and a hammer, I had one detect a kobold thief next to him one day outside my fortress on a hill.  He smacked the poor kobold about 20-30 tiles off the hill in a straight line, where it then plummeted Wiley-style to splatter in the valley below.  It had me in tears.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:41:22 am »

The first time a water logic latch successfully closed a set of bridges during a goblin siege trapping a good portion of them and then some 500 ticks later another bridge opened flooding the area, washing them all off the platform and down 10z to their doom. I was like... "Holy crap! It worked!!!" and then the rocky theme played . . . in my head. It was AWESOME!  =P

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:12:26 am »

Pretty sure just being able to play Dwarf Fortress skillfully should make anyone feel completely awesome.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:23:04 am »

A very recent one.

Getting my dwarves to set up a mine cart to transport wood from one stockpile, to the other automatically. I get this feeling whenever I work out how to use any new feature.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:55:33 am »

When I pumped magma out of a volcano into a moat around my keep.
First time I ventured into hostile caverns, after a few dead dwarves (there was a safe bunker no one wanted to use) I sent in my marksdwarves. So much miasma... Also, one of those marksdwarves bit a helmet snake to death.
And most recently when I emptied my very full wagon into a stockpile, and had a minecart travel underground to a quantum stockpile near my workshops.

Nothing terribly awesome, yet.

stonewall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:59:54 am »

Being notified about a goblin thief, unpause and check combat logs to see my militia captain putting a complicated armlock to wrestle the silver dagger out of his hand... and proceeding to repeatedly stab the bastard in the skull with his own knife - like 6 or 7 times.  I sat awestruck for several minutes, contemplating the ruthless ferocity of my minions..

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 11:24:57 am »

one of my hunters double headshoted a kobold thief to death whit bone bolts....

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:58 pm »

A nice artifact  :D. The Deteriorated Hold,  a steel shortsword.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »

Unleashing a swarm of badgers on a goblin siege.
3 WHOLE SQUADS jumped in the river and drowned, and yet another was mercilessly slaughtered. The entire group of 8 were named and preserved in engravings in every fort in that world...
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 12:30:20 pm »

Successfully created a were-civet Dwarf, and the moose pit is now too large for me to fight. Only contain. When the time comes my undead friends, you will be released.
Also seriously, I freaking love my resident Giant Desert Scorpion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6