Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Reclaim Bug  (Read 1058 times)

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Reclaim Bug
« on: February 04, 2018, 04:50:43 am »

So, trying to keep this short, here's what's up.

Rolled a world and started a fort.  I didn't know it at the time, but apparently the goblins where pretty much dominating.

9 years or so after I started the fort, Claspstroked, the mountain home fell.  We became the new mountain home shortly thereafter.

23 years or so after I founded Claspstroked, I had mined all the candy and there was a lot of lag, so I decided to retire and start a new low population fort (Mirrored Shore) with two missions:  First, to draw the goblins away from Claspstroked.  Second, to raise a new generation of dwarves while minimizing losses.

I've been doing well on both counts.  My champion alone has over a hundred kills with her axe and I've had quite a few children grow up in the fort, with more on the way.

I was looking at legends mode to see what's going on the world and saw that the goblins have recently abandoned our old mountain home.  I decided to try out a little experiment, and this is where it gets pretty weird.

I did a save backup (in case of glitchyness), retired Mirrored Shore, and put together a military expedition to reclaim the mountainhome.

I brougth a full squad of soldiers and the stuff I needed to outfit them incase there where still goblins looking inside.  After forging our arms and armor, we entered the site.

Most of the site was hidden until I got a soldier close to an area.  Much like exploring caverns.  At first, it seemed that nobody was there, then I got a notification:
An ambush!  Drive them out!

Turns out, it was the Duke of Claspstroked.  Just hanging out.  He shows up in the creatures list as hostile, but didn't attack and my soldiers showed no inclination to attack him.

Continuing my exploration:
An ambush!  Drive them out!

Oh.  Hey.  It's our king.  Just hanging out.  He's also hostile but ignoring us.

Anyways, I think it's fairly well known that reclaiming ruins can be glitchy, but I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to bring it up for those that don't know.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Reclaim Bug
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 04:57:54 am »

Yep, i feel that if you are reclaiming\unretiring fortress, you will almost always encounter one bug or another, from weird "merchants" hanging out to magical buggy mess that includes roads transforming into farm plots and dead dwarfs without body parts (not ghosts) ambushing yours.
Also, in my expirience, if there was no forgotten beast, evil biome husks or hostile wildlife in cages on site, you will not encounter any actual enemies on reclaim, even if fortress was murdered by goblins just two weeks ago.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:06:54 am by MCreeper »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Reclaim Bug
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 05:33:52 am »

Basically, when reclaiming ruins the former residents (if they exist) will always be marked as hostile, but will not attack you.  I think the hostility bit is actually intended, but the fact that they don't attack you is a bug.  Not saying I agree with it, but that's based on what I remember reading from old change logs, etc.  There is another related bug where when you reclaim an old, but active fortress any visitor is also marked as "hostile" in the same way.  As far as I can tell, this is a bug and should not happen.  Like many other bugs in DF, I think this hasn't been fixed mainly because Toady doesn't quite know what he wants it to do.

It's really unfortunate because there is very little you can do with these "hostile" people other than killing them.  If you leave cage traps near them, they will eventually step in them and you will have them in a cage.  You can then pasture them :-)  I've found no way to get them off the map (or make them un-"hostile").  Generally speaking, I role play them by pasturing them and treating them as "guards", or using them as live training for the military.

Kind of sucks that your king is messed up in it.  You could catch him in a cage trap and pasture him in the throne room.  "Hostiles" don't need to eat or drink (in my experience), so it could be a kind of puppet king.