Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Small things that made you feel completely awesome  (Read 21262 times)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Small things that made you feel completely awesome
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 09:40:22 pm »

I imagine that he was secretly an incarnate deity or something, so I can only thank the goblins for taking care of him for me. I sure as hell ain't dealing with that.

So the dwarven equivalent of Jesus Christ was stolen from under your nose, and you're thankful? :o

On second thought, the whole "peace-on-earth" thing might get a bit annoying...poor guy wouldn't survive a week in a dwarven city.

Jesus: "I have come to bring fire on the Earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! ... Do you think I came to bring peace on Earth?  No, I tell you, but division. ... They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." -- Luke 12:49,51,53

I dunno, he sounds kind of dwarfy in that first bit, though the loyalty cascade part at the end does seem like a problem.   ;) :P
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:06 am »

Whenever I complete a massive engineering project. I recently just finished a big windfarm at my snow fort to bring up water from a lower cavern to a cistern much closer by. I'm currently working on a project where I use a windfarm to power a water pump stack that will fuel a hydro power station a cavern or two down, which will then power a lava pump stack to bring lava up to the surface for my future magma forges. When I get that done I'll be pretty happy.

Recently I took down a few forgotten beasts and each one felt pretty good. Also, it wasn't really my own doing but one of my dwarves one shotted a buzzard.

When I got my first hydro power complex working that produces over 2000 spare power after internal power needs. Now to abuse magma.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 01:55:50 am »

my very first kill with a weapon trap.
my very first legendary soldier with a candy sword.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 02:35:31 am »

my very first legendary soldier with a candy sword.
Oh yeah, Razorwheel was the first fort to successfully deploy candy armour and weapons. Instant awesome! Plus playing "HFSsweeper" to determine safely mineable squares was both awesome and terrifying. Next up on to-do -list:
The ☼large, serrated candy disc☼ strikes the Goblin Lasher in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc! x15

The previous time I went for the teal stuff, I carelessly mined out a corner of a 4x4 tube --> ‼Fun‼ Ensues™.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:11 am »

I made a tunnel from the river on the edge of the map, half way across the map into my fort, to get some mist in my dining room. For security reasons I put a floodgate at the entrance, but soon found out that the levers I built in my fort to  control it was too far away to connect. So I build a control room near the  floodgate, put a lever there and gave it two orders: Link to the floodgate and Pull the Lever. But nothing happened, no dwarves was nearby.

Suddenly a forgotten beast turned up in the caves, smashed the security walls and began killing some children, then slowly working itself up the central stairway and killing everything I sent after it. I forgot all about my waterfall project.

Just when I thought that I had lost the fort, some dwarf actually fixed the lever and pulled it. And due to some small miscalculation on my part I didn't get a waterfall and a mist, instead I managed to flood my whole fort. That killed the forgotten beast and my military (if they weren't dead already), but most of the civilian dorfs survived, so after a looong time I managed to get someone to close the floodgate again. During the clean-up I discovered that in addition to the forgotten beast I had also managed to kill/drown two bat soldiers, who happened to be stationed in the caves just where all the water left my fort.

That was completely awesome! Unfortunately the fort died a few months later due to a tantrum spiral caused by my new and very green recruits all getting killed during the next siege.
DF: where imagination beats animation

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 07:22:38 am »

The time my newly appointed militia commander returned a child from being kidnapped, then enacted HOLY REVENGE on the goblin by slowly cutting off extremities.

The first FB I ever faced. It got its legs kicked off by a miller.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 07:28:04 am »

Perfecting my controlled were-infection administration device. Almost entirely automatic, leading to a seperate area with floodgate sealed entrance.
The building destroyers never saw it coming :)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 09:22:50 am »

The first time I figured out how to use an "execution shaft" and used it on some hapless goblin invader. I laughed a good long evil laugh which probably would have made people around me think I'm not very mentally stable or healthy. lol

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 09:45:10 am »

Accidentally pelting a carpenter with rotting meat, causing him to vomit profusely.

Probably whenever I figure out this minecart thing.

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 12:17:12 pm »

So, I'm there playing masterwork dwarf fortress, dorfs are being dorfs, just adding finishing touches to my defensive spiral, when a bronze colossus shows up. I quickly mobilized the military, while the colossus breezes through the traps arranged for goblins. It chevaucheed merrily into the ranks of melee dorfs, through a hail of iron and steel bolts from the marksdwarves. It eventually engaged a marksdwarf who was meant to be on the other side of the fortifications, after throwing an axedwarf into a wall, and I gave up on Urist Mcstupid as a lost cause. To my surprise, he survived several blows by rolling away before retaliating with his bismuth bronze crossbow and breaking off the colossus's lower body. Dwarf-fu indeed...
All I do, I do for !!SCIENCE!!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 10:33:53 pm »

Well, A ambush by goblins took me by surprise. They set apon this one guy who noticed them, a swordwarf with hs equipment on him. There were seven pikemen (goblin?) and one macegoblin. He was alone, and far from the fort, and so I expected a casualty.

Then, out of nowhere, he utterly kicks their asses, blocking every single attack they have, except for a tooth and a bruise. He cuts of a limb with every single strike, or slashes their guts, or even shatters a bone with the pommel. By the time the other dwarves get there, It's mop-up duty, chasing fleeing goblins.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:04:39 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nymall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 10:49:26 pm »

Right meow? I have a 10 z-level pit where I dump all captured enemies, at the bottom with which I have three trapped, but still alive, necromancers. I've been entertaining myself dropping every trapped kobold and goblin via bridge-cage-lever system into the pit below. MY FPS sucks, but boy, do those parts come back with a vengeance! It's also a nice "noble" distraction.

My first was the first time in this game was the time I discovered pressure works properly over various levels, and used the entire inside of my fortress wall as a cistern for a road flooding trap. Unfortunately, that fortress fell to mechanical failure from the same trap.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »

When the King arrives... and a glance at his screen says he loves granite, gold, green glass, battleaxes, beds, and turkey leather. All of which we are positively swimming in. Best king EVER.

Sarkovar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2012, 12:41:50 am »

A tantruming pot ash maker slaying 5 goblins, including a swordmaster, with an oak log over his slain duckling.

FEAR THE OAK LOG!
Me: FLAMING BABY FLAIL'S COMIN' AT YA DEMONS.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2012, 12:58:01 am »

setting up a cage filled with hard won desert scorpions in front of my fort, then pulling the lever that unleashes the pissed arachnids on the goblins trying to siege me. lost all the scorpions, bu the siege pretty much died off in the next few days. in fact, any time I capture a desert scorpion is a good time for me.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6