Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Small things that made you feel completely awesome  (Read 21426 times)

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: Small things that made you feel completely awesome
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »

When I accidentally raised the drawbridge and a dwarf was still on it and he managed to land perfectly safe on the only piece  land I hand not channeled out from under the bridge....he then promptly got smashed by the bridge. mwahahaha
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2012, 06:27:46 am »

That one time when I brought sunlight down to the 3rd cavern. The logic went thus: "I want surface farmed plants and a no-miasma dump zone. My fort is located between the caverns and the magma sea. Instead of going UP to the surface for the sun, I will bring the sun DOWN to where I am."

I engineered a large square of the surface to cave-in, which punched through all the floors of the Z-levels I had dug out in advance. Then I built floors (out of green glass for the unnecessary sake of realism) over that hole so sunlight could still come down but not creatures. I then built a tower below where that 'hole' was: the ground floor was surface farming, upper floors were refuse piles.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2012, 06:57:01 am »

In oon of my forts I had a FB with deady dust. I tried to kill him with my crossbowdwarfs, but was too late with my order: FB showed up when only 2 dwarves was ready. He spreaded his dust, shredded one of the rangers in nothingness and got a single lucky shot in the head from the second ranger.This ranger has earned legendery name and died soon because of inhaling dust. Also, because of stupid fortress design I got the dust cloud into my dining room that brought my population from ~40 to 15 dwarves.

PREQUEL:
What has lead FB into my fortress? I was bored with it and opened a way to the caverns. There were 4 fb's: with vapors, with web, with fire and crab-like thing. All of them charged up to my fortress, destroying doors and hatch covers. In the first cavern layer they met turkey chick that accidentally wandered there. First to react was dust fb whose attack seriously crippled other 3 fbs. Chick was torn into pieces, but web, fire and crab monsters found their death in this battle.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:33 am »

A hunter was attacked by a swordkobold. His left foot was stabbed then slashed. As the kobold ran off after another target, the hunter just fired his crossbow, headshotting the kobold in one hit, sending him flying and skidding along the ground.

The hunter followed it up by headshotting another kobold, then limping inside where he promptly got treatment.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2018, 04:09:01 am »

Today I necro'd a 5 year old thread. Felt awesomely transgressive.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2018, 10:21:54 am »

The absolute madman

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2018, 11:21:57 pm »

No reason to waste a self-referential necro (you only get a pass for this because it didn't specify "in dwarf fortress itself")

I felt awesome the morning I finally grasped how to set up the military. It was no-points embark and I was worried about going defenseless. I worked through the screens and production set-up and managed to set up a crossbowdwarf to patrol my stockpile. Keas came, and the stalwart warrior shot them down. Which gave me more food and bolts and the gear to set up others if I wanted.

That fort fell to a kobold ambush because only one soldier isn't always enough to stop them stealing stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]