Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Challenge Maker  (Read 2324 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Dwarven Challenge Maker
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:37:29 pm »

I was going to challenge myself to a build but I don't know what to do. I came up with this:
Everyone makes rules to follow when making a fort. Small things like "No using "eyeball" foods" are 1 point, somewhat larger things like "no tomsmashers" or "dormitories only" are 3, large changes like "embark in a haunted area" are 5, and insane things like "no mining" are 8.

Once a list is compiled, everyone can try and make runs with point values, to gauge relative difficulty.

Every so often I'll compile them here in a spoiler by group, and you can suggest changes in values, merging, all that stuff.

So here's 5 to get the ball rolling:
"Any non-noble must sleep in a dorm", 1pt
"There must be a catacombs. Commoners are buried in 3x3 groups of coffins in 5x5 rooms, others get their own special rooms" 1pt
"Water power of any kind may not be used. No flooding a farm, no waterwheels, no waterfalls. 3pts, 5pts in no-soil areas
"Build a Colosseum with cage-trapped hostile enemies, and feed it one dwarf per season." 5pts
"Build a jail with minecart auto-dump food/drink stocks by the start of Year 3." 3pts
"Make a fort sealed away from the outside except for minecart sacrifice cannons. Every season, two living creatures must be launched out to fend for themselves." 5pts
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Dwarven Challenge Maker
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:51 pm »

Gridline -=- Build a fort exclusively in a modular grid pattern, like 3x3 with 1-wide halls between, or 5x5 rooms with a 3-wide hall between.

I currently am working with something similar, but for more practical purpose, rather than challenge.

Bubbles Everywhere!!! -=- Build/mine only circles and nothing smaller than a 4-wide diameter walking space. I suggest odd-numbered diameters for easier linking.

Urist & Son's Carpeting Inc. -=- Apply a form of carpeting across your fortress. The more complex the pattern, the better.

He Who Throws Stones... -=- Build a glass fortress or village; and maybe include catapults as household defense batteries for the hell of it.

Treebeard Fort -=- Construct a fortress in the form of a tree; especially made out of stone or modded in elf bones.

NASCAR Racing -=- We already have the drunkards, now we need the cars. Build Dwarftona 500, made up of minecarts, and stuff them with racers, be they dwarf or prisoner. Control the race with drawbridges if you want. It's like those little electronic slot cars.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:02:06 pm by Itnetlolor »

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:09:43 pm »

Tailor-made:  Have a fort whose military has armor from only goblins and NOT melt it into base components.  (Being merciful to allow the weapons to be made of dwarven resources, or some other creative means.)

Sentral command:  Utilize ONLY catapults and Ballistas for defense!  (Obsidianizing, along with traps, and intentional webs and cave ins are forbidden!  Accidental webbing is forgiven.)

Legendary housekeeping:  Any legendary dwarf is to be given a 5x5 bedroom, 5x5 office, 5x5 dining room, 9x9 tomb, and a weapon rack, armor rack, chest, and cabinet.  (Optionally, make the stuff for the legendary dwarf the BEST dang tomb/room.  Don't worry.  If Urist McLegend dies, you are free to use his old rooms for a new legend.)

Elven peacekeeping:  Here comes a fairly complex case...  Year one, you are free to cut as many trees as you can over the year...  After one year is done for preparation, the dwarves swear off cutting trees, intent to giving the dwarves a good reputation for the elves.  (Trading for extra wood is fair game.  The dwarves at this fortress did not cut the trees themselves.)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:14:22 am »

Aquarium: Build your fortress out of glass blocks on the ocean bottom. Main fortress may extend two levels below sea floor, but cannot pass under land. Mine shafts allowed anywhere, but no buildings/rooms except in the main fortress.

Battleship: Build a large checkerboard area around your fortress, at least 4x4, with a replenishing pool of magma beneath it. When enemies come onto the checkerboard, have a set of levers which can lock any cell of the checkerboard and then flood it with magma. Must be Troll-resistant.

Labyrinth: Build your fortress in the center of a huge maze. Make the walls shift, by means of bridges/floodgates, and have at least some of the shifts be automatic, preferably random. Traps are a nice bonus, though not necessary.

Skyscraper: No more than eight 3x3 rooms per floor around a central 3x3 staircase, entirely built above ground. The only exception to this is the ground floor, which is allowed to be 18x18 and filled with any kind of rooms you like, provided the 3x3 staircase is built. You may have multiple towers if the first one is entirely full and reaches as high as it can go, with the provision that none of the dwarves in one building are allowed in the other and vice versa, once the second tower has been built. You may not dig mine shafts of any sort, but you may dig out a large quarry at some distance from your towers and use the metal/gems you find in the quarry. Glass windows in every room are a bonus.

Tetris: Have a series of pumps/pressureplates/bridges/floodgates in your main entryway so that whenever intruders enter, the ground is flooded with water and Magma is dumped on top of them in the shape of a random tetris block. Simple in concept, ridiculously complex in execution.

Universal: Do all of the above at once. Which is to say, surround part of the ocean with a grid you can selectively pump magma into, then have it transfer to an underground shifting labyrinth which leads to an entrance hall with the tetris trap in it and then to the glass aquarium fortress, on top of which are a couple of giant skyscraper-style towers.

... I really want to try that last one now.

I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:06:24 am »

Carnivore Fortress: No eating plant-based products. Brewing plants is ok. 3pts.

Item snob: Some dwarves are content to sleep on any old bed, to store their booze in any old barrel. Not your dwarves. They have standards. Choose an item quality level. All items created below this quality level must be immediately destroyed. 1pt for finely-crafted, 2pts for superior, 3pts for exceptional, 4pts for masterwork.

Open door policy: You must maintain an open path to the surface edge of the map at all times. No sealing off part/all of the fort with drawbridges. You are allowed 5 cage traps, but no traps otherwise. 5 pts.

Tonight, we dine in Hell!: You can guess. 6pts.

Birthday suit challenge: Strip your dwarves naked (you probably have to make nudity a military "uniform") and stave off the tantrum spiral as long as possible. I don't know if a stable fortress can be achieved. 15 pts? Maybe more?

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 11:37:39 am »

Challenge: Annoy (kill) elves. - 7?
Cut all trees above ground, build an above ground fort with wood (no stone allowed), when elves come to trade, kill them, hold off all attacks as long as possible.
Additional extras:
No mining. 15 points
Operation: annoy everyone! - kill humans also. Perhaps allow yourself a year to prepare as humans are way more prepared than elves for war. 15 points (if with no mining, ~25 points).

Carnivore Fortress: No eating plant-based products. Brewing plants is ok. 3pts.
Completed, i already do this in one fort anyway. Traps + fishing + hunting = solved. Although i did use seeds on embark for a lot of food for cooking to upgrade my cooks skills quickly and for mass food. (cooked the seeds, didn't plant)

Open door policy: You must maintain an open path to the surface edge of the map at all times. No sealing off part/all of the fort with drawbridges. 5 pts.

Also completed, i just use traps to catch half the ambushes. Also my army is fairly decently trained, if slightly lacking in numbers.

Can i suggest a time limit is added to these. I.E  If it's a survival mission, survive for X amount of years (3-5?), if it's a challenge to do something, give it a time limit to do it by (i.e "dine in hell" within 5 years and to hold the area for a minimum of 2 seasons)
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 06:28:13 pm »

Open door policy: You must maintain an open path to the surface edge of the map at all times. No sealing off part/all of the fort with drawbridges. 5 pts.

Also completed, i just use traps to catch half the ambushes. Also my army is fairly decently trained, if slightly lacking in numbers.

Yeah, I forgot to say, no traps. Actually, let's say you can have 5 cage traps, mainly for catching/taming animals.

Edit: Time limits are a good idea.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:38:30 pm »

When In Rome:

A three-part challenge.
     1. You must have a jail consisting of no less than 30 cells, two hallways, and a mechanical locking system (floodgates, bridges, but not doors attached to a lever). This must be done by year 2.

2. You must have an arena-style execution system in place. The "field" may be no smaller than 10x10x2, must be viewable from the outside, and it must use animals or soldiers to kill those sentenced to death in the arena (I.E, goblin sacrifice.)

Bonus points: make each view a statue meeting room so parties are held and partiers can watch the maiming of goblins or other enemies.

3. You must capture a megabeast, two semimegabeasts, one FB, or one clown for use in the Colosseum. This must be done by year 5.

When the basic 3 are completed, +25 points, +30 for party rooms and a battle for every party.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.