Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I believe distance needs to be positive  (Read 2047 times)

exarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I believe distance needs to be positive
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:13:01 am »

Spoiler: Large image (click to show/hide)

Encountered this while trying to setup a clay minecart route. The distances got more extremely negative when moving closer to the source. No idea how to replicate yet.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

exarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I believe distance needs to be positive
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:54:27 am »

Except that the distances involved are nowhere close to large enough to cause overflows, especially given that the distance is at least 16 bits wide because of the magnitude of the number. Also, note that the distance to every item is the same. An overflow alone would not do that.

LurchyMcSmokins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 02:22:37 pm »

i get this sometimes when i have items the dwarf can path too, but the path is being broken somehow. doesnt happen all the time, but when it does i just go thru and make sure i dont have any new constructions or buildings blocking something. but then again, i could just be wrong.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »

Finally, your water reactors have altered the physical world too much for it to bear. Hence negative distances.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:24:23 pm »

First, save the game and reload to see if you're still getting negative numbers.

If you're still getting negative numbers, please zip up your region folder, upload it to DFFD, and then post a link to that upload in this bug report.

They're currently looking for a save that reproduces that bug there.

Thanks!
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:09:38 pm »

Your dwarves need first look into themselves to discover their potential for manifesting their dwarven destinies... or something like that. Yea, the other posts in this particular thread are likely more useful than this one.