Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1068245 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11055 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:03 am »

IIRC AP lightning actually has better DPS than a 1/2 MBT.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: August 12, 2014, 11:28:13 pm »

It's one of those happy tanks. You can grab it whenever, and go on an adventure. Plus, turbo tank, sort of. Worth a few certs for fun.

I actually see it as a minor negative on the map updates that you can't turbo a lightning over some base's walls any more (it was probably better to remove those hills, but it removed some of the hilarity).
It's a game. Have fun.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: August 13, 2014, 12:30:54 am »

The Valkyrie is on the PTS.

It flies around and stuff. Its weapons kind of suck, but it can carry two passengers who could potentially have rocket launchers so it's not so bad.

It has really weak forward thrust and in its current incarnation primarily relies on vertical thrust to get around, so I think it's a lot more fun to fly than the ESFs, libs, or galaxies. It reminds me a lot of flying helicopters in Battlefield 3.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: August 13, 2014, 12:58:33 am »

Just tried the Valkyrie out for a minute, kinda wish they handled a bit more like ARMA helicopters but that might be because I'm more comfortable/familiar with them. Right now they seem to be a bit slow, and the fact that you have to be pointing your nose at the ground in order to go at a faster speed makes first person mode pretty much unfeasible unless you really want to let go of the controls in order to activate free look. As far as I'm aware TrackIR isn't supported in PS2.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:47 am »

I have look up bound to tilde so I'm already set to fly it. I already use it to look up for enemy aircraft above me when I'm Airhammering because you have to be close to the ground to use it.

The PS2 test server forums say there are a few bugs with the Valkyrie. One major one is that some of it's armor values are likely wrong which leads it to be vulnerable to infantry primary weapons. It also is set on fire by a single dalton round. They could also be intended to be very low on a cheap vehicle, like an air-flash.

Some people are saying they wish the Valkyrie could be more like ARMA copters while other people say they like the handling they get with 'Evasion airframe.'

The wire guided rocket turret is hard to use when the Valkyrie is moving because the projectile is slower than the aircraft and the gunner loses sight of them.

The rumble seats are not stabilized but it wouldn't make sense for them to be in my opinion. The Phoenix launcher doesn't work well according to the forums as it often hits the Valkyrie or otherwise simply disappears.

It's currently the cheapest air vehicle in the game which explains the low armor resistances possibly.

Ammo packs in the rumble seats fall out, and until they do they make the Valkyrie fly oddly as if it were heavy. On turbo flash the same thing happens.

It requires ejection seats in one of the slots to drop passengers.

A cool idea I saw on the forums are to give it a smoke launcher and a dark-spotlight. I'd like to fly an air-flash with a smoke launcher. It would make smoke screens much faster to make as currently you have to have an underbarrel launcher and stand on an ammo box while limited to the launcher's slow fire rate and not getting any points. A better smoke launcher on an aircraft would make it so much easier as long as the fire rate is pretty high. It wouldn't require you to sacrifice your own points to do it either as you'd have gunner kill assists.

It sounds cool to me so far though. I'll give it a try once I get around to re-downloading the test server.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:46:31 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:10 am »

I use middle mouse button to look, the mouse and WSAD to fly, so I am fine.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: August 13, 2014, 05:20:37 am »

They're OP as they are now, too maneuverable. They can outdogfight ESFs IMO.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: August 13, 2014, 05:24:36 am »

A big darklight spotlight on an aircraft would be incredibly thematic, I'd love that. Have it also auto-spot targets who are under the light for more than a moment and you have yourself something almost worth using.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11063 on: August 13, 2014, 09:14:09 am »

It would kinda make you a huge target, too, wouldn't it?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: August 13, 2014, 09:33:17 am »

It would kinda make you a huge target, too, wouldn't it?

Fliers are already targets anyway.  It does have lots of flavor potential, with a black helicopter feel flying at night, searching for targets trying to slip into the base.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: August 13, 2014, 10:57:17 am »

I have a feeling that the Lasher is going to get a nerf with the Valk release. Dual heavies with an AOE denial system, AV grenades, Lancers/AV/AA launchers, and sensor dart crossbows? You've got yourself a hugely variable weapons platform right there.

Also on the subject of the lasher, it kinda makes me sad that the VS get something that is pretty much entirely unique as their heavy weapon, while the TR and NC are relegated to a super shotgun and a minigun. Yes, they're both HORRIBLY effective, but basically more of the same.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: August 13, 2014, 11:37:49 am »

I'd personally prefer they get fun useless weapons :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: August 13, 2014, 11:42:52 am »

I really doubt the rumble seats in the Valkyrie are going to be useful for much beyond repair. We don't see many rumble seat Flashes or Harassers.

Some people will probably find it useful, but almost certainly not enough to cause a plague worthy of the nerf bat.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: August 13, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »

They also would take flak damage and have to land to refill ammo.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: August 13, 2014, 02:57:01 pm »

I really doubt the rumble seats in the Valkyrie are going to be useful for much beyond repair. We don't see many rumble seat Flashes or Harassers.

Some people will probably find it useful, but almost certainly not enough to cause a plague worthy of the nerf bat.
From what I can tell the field of fire from both hot seats over lap over the nose.

Thankfully the view points aren't stablised but it still means you've got two heavies with lock on launches at the side - you'll be a great ManPAD platform
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 826