Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073990 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11085 on: August 14, 2014, 06:36:26 am »

Well, as its happened twice to me (on the ground, not the moron flying), its fun when they dont.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: August 14, 2014, 07:03:40 am »

Is the Canister any fun on the Harasser? I know people hate on the gun, but I gunned for a Vanguard after the canister buff and I actually found it to be quite decent, melted anything that got close and still remained deadly at mid range. I can see it working for the Harasser, but at the same time I dont know if it's fragility is going to ruin that.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: August 14, 2014, 07:06:31 am »

It's freaking awesome. You have to do drive-bys rather than hang around, but that goes for any Harasser loadout.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:56 am »

It's pretty similar to the Renegade from what I can see, although I've only used it in VR. I'd imagine it's a perfectly viable, but not spectacular weapon. I would expect to die a lot, though -- the Harasser isn't the sort of vehicle you want to get up close and personal with the enemy in.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:53 am »

It's pretty similar to the Renegade from what I can see, although I've only used it in VR. I'd imagine it's a perfectly viable, but not spectacular weapon. I would expect to die a lot, though -- the Harasser isn't the sort of vehicle you want to get up close and personal with the enemy in.

Except that's now how they have it designed; for *up close* hit and run attacks.  The canister *gasp* may actually be a viable option for it now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:00 am »

Except that's now how they have it designed; for *up close* hit and run attacks.  The canister *gasp* may actually be a viable option for it now.

I'd like more than wet paper to protect me when I get up close to enemies. Harassers are way more vulnerable to all the things that are great at killing them at short ranges.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: August 14, 2014, 10:54:07 am »

I haven't had too much trouble staying alive - composite armor seems to do its job well enough, increasing its small arms resistance from 82% to 90%, which is quite a lot. It can also take 3 HA rockets without too much issue. Honestly, though, you've got the best mobility of any ground vehicle combined with free turbo, cheap smoke or fire suppress, and likely two engineers on board. Unless you're messing with tanks, you're pretty much good to go. A tap of the shift key flings you out of the range of 90% of your opponents. The key is not to reengage (or be engaged!) until you're repaired and turbo is back online. It's hard to die otherwise.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11092 on: August 14, 2014, 11:05:44 am »

LMGs make grand emergency AA pieces. Even with the starter LMGs (not just the godsaw) you can get some major damage on fighters...
Not just LMGs, but their larger magazines make them more desirable than other primary weapons. Many times I've shot at ESFs flying overhead with my assault rifles and gotten the credit for the kill; just the other day one flew over and I put one bullet into him and he exploded.

I don't actually see too many harassers around, and when I do they usually tend to stay away from where I am. A couple of times they've gotten close inside a base or trying to drive by a sunder, at which point you can either rocket them or plop C4 on them as they whizz by, you just have to learn the timing and range of C4 drops.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: August 14, 2014, 11:14:13 am »

I haven't had too much trouble staying alive - composite armor seems to do its job well enough, increasing its small arms resistance from 82% to 90%, which is quite a lot. It can also take 3 HA rockets without too much issue. Honestly, though, you've got the best mobility of any ground vehicle combined with free turbo, cheap smoke or fire suppress, and likely two engineers on board. Unless you're messing with tanks, you're pretty much good to go. A tap of the shift key flings you out of the range of 90% of your opponents. The key is not to reengage (or be engaged!) until you're repaired and turbo is back online. It's hard to die otherwise.

I dunno what dumbfires your opponents are slinging at you, but my Harasser is a few small arms shots away from being on fire after 2 -- which you usually get when you drive close to infantry. Not to mention the Bulldog sunderers they often spawn out of...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11094 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:39 am »

I actually think that stealth is the best defense option for Harassers. I'm running it and I seem to take very little fire considering how close to the enemies I go, and when I do get focused smoke and turbo get me out of it fairly reliably. The trick of course is to always keep moving and avoid farming one spot for too long.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: August 14, 2014, 02:33:28 pm »

Is the Canister any fun on the Harasser?

Our outfit did several canister harraser runs with a double falcon max sitting in the back seat, hilarity ensued. (and it kinda worked)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11096 on: August 14, 2014, 02:47:13 pm »

I've had a lot of fun soloing the canister. It's pretty ridiculous if you bring it to a chaotic infantry fight. No luck having random pubbies gun for me, none of them were capable of hitting anything. One wasted three mags on the rear of a Lightning while infils scurried around, one just started shooting into the air, the last one killed me when I jumped out to repair. I had more luck with my day-1 recruit than anyone I've been able to pick up, hah.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: August 14, 2014, 03:46:13 pm »

LMGs make grand emergency AA pieces. Even with the starter LMGs (not just the godsaw) you can get some major damage on fighters...
Not just LMGs, but their larger magazines make them more desirable than other primary weapons. Many times I've shot at ESFs flying overhead with my assault rifles and gotten the credit for the kill; just the other day one flew over and I put one bullet into him and he exploded.

That was mainly why I was asking about AA shotgun usage. They're not bad from the ground vs ESFs, but they should be quite good if you get caught in a hover-turn-reverse battle in a Valk against one. Sort of like a mini-turreted airhammer.

LMGs are alright, and even scoped battle rifles might have their place. Seems to work out as about 2-3 mags to kill with any given weapon if all shots hit (with no extra resistance options taken).

ESFs and Valks are pretty big targets by default, so I might have to do some testing on what range a 3.0 and 3.5 spread shotgun can expect to land all its pellets on a Valk. The NS Baron also has a different damage dropoff profile, 60 after 30m (instead of 50 after 18m), and a tighter spread, so it might be worthwhile considering for AA usage with extended mags. Although 80% basic resistance hurts all weapons pretty badly vs air. But an extended mag semi-auto seems the best in general (like for everything really).

I'm guessing that most pellets will hit out to about 50m, but I'll do some testing and report.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:51:08 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11098 on: August 14, 2014, 04:25:54 pm »

I'm looking at the harraser and wonder... would putting a walker on it and using it instead of a skyguard a good idea... ESFs usually instantly run from skyguards while a walker MIGHT have a chance to get unnoticed or noticed and strafed... putting the ESF into a great vector for some chaingunning.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11099 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:34 pm »

I have outfitmates who had amazing streaks with that loadout, and not just against air targets. Then again those guys have also been known to get big streaks with a fury harasser in a biolab, so YMMV.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 826