Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1072258 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11310 on: September 22, 2014, 10:55:35 am »

So as I was cleaning up my start menu I ran across the launcher for this. For some reason, when you uninstall the game it sneakily leaves the launcher around, so it's never really gone, only a download away.

And I decided, what the heck, might give it a spin, see if the much touted performance improvements make a difference.

They do not, it still runs as crappily as ever, with FPS being anywhere between 0 and 40 about five times a second.

This time I made sure any and all files were gone from my HD tho, pesky SOE and their sneaky software.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: September 22, 2014, 12:04:05 pm »

To their credit there was a whole month where the game did run really well.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #11312 on: September 22, 2014, 01:05:12 pm »

The load times have been getting much worse. I'm running on an SSD and I'll consistently try spawning somewhere being captured and spawn in the base long after it's been captured.

Pretty fun if you can avoid getting screwed in the pain field since no one's expecting you to be around, but there's no reason load times should be taking that long. They used to be ~5 - 10 seconds for me, now they're sometimes around a minute.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: September 22, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »

Thats insane, they are still 5-10 seconds for me (before the first login/spawn). I think the SSD might actually be making things load slower.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11314 on: September 22, 2014, 02:19:57 pm »

I've got a long time for it to actually start up, but otherwise I'm the same as Rex.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11315 on: September 23, 2014, 11:27:49 am »

On PTS they've modeled some NS-spexific sights. No longer will they use NC and TR optics. I don't use NS weapons, but still, it's nice to see they finally get this change.
You can also see some changes made to cloak. I don't really notice since I play on high, but from the looks of it even low setting people will be able to see infiltrators now.

They're also adding new reticles. The default NC 2x is still one of my favorites, followed by the blue diamond (it's one of the easier ones to see on bright backgrounds) and the mil dot (it's the closest to my favorite tr reticle). The TR get a dot with lines on the sides and bottom, which is what I wish the NC got. The verticle bar is about the height of a soldier at... 45~ meters, I believe.
The NC's 'faction' reticle is bugged for me, leaving me staring down an empty box. This would be fairly decent for shotguns just beyond hipfire range, but they should really get shotgun-specific reticles without an 'eye'. You'd basically take many of the current reticles and remove the dot from the middle.

EDIT: Oh yes, all reticles currently show up as separate holo sights instead of a 'customization' box on one optic. It'd be nice to be able to right-click an optic and pick a reticle from a drop-down list.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:29:36 am by OzyTheSage »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: September 23, 2014, 06:28:32 pm »

I tried playing on live last night. I couldn't do it. The PTS sights are too good. I tried shooting people with the TMG-50 and all I could think about was how stupid it was that I couldn't hit anything because the gun was shaking around and throwing my aim off.

The VS also had 51% world pop. PPA spam is pretty demotivating as well.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11317 on: September 23, 2014, 06:34:20 pm »

The faction pop balance on emerald is pretty terrible. VS dominate the server throughout most of the day and have been since the server merge, it's a bit frustrating. Also having a lot of issue with air - not just on my end, but I brought a friend into the game and a squad of TR mossys followed us around with rocketpods and banshees. An hour with the skygods is not exactly the best way to be introduced to planetside.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: September 23, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »

Yah, thats pretty normal. I actually last over 300 seconds as an ESF there, thanks to the fact that im TR there.

Everywhere else, unless Im in a gal I die fast. In a gal I some times last an hour.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: September 23, 2014, 08:16:29 pm »

To their credit there was a whole month where the game did run really well.
Yeah, it was running really well for a short while after the optimization update even on my bargain frankenputer. I was getting 50-60 fps even in 48+/48+ fights. Now though I only get 50-60fps in some empty bases and the WG and I have to not be turning my mouse aka standing motionless. When I start turning in a completely empty base it jumps from 30-50 fps (some bases are worse than that even), and if there is a fight there I go down to <20 fps when I turn and 30ish when motionless. That's not playable at a competitive level despite what some elitists think. It makes it impossible to track someone doing the adadad thing at .75 ads speed when your fps jumps from 25 down to 15 when you turn in a big fight and makes me much worse at things I'm decent at, like flying an esf.

In addition I think there is a memory leak of some sort because my computer is not overheating but memory usage is very high after a while and the game runs even slower than at the beginning.

I tried playing on live last night. I couldn't do it. The PTS sights are too good. I tried shooting people with the TMG-50 and all I could think about was how stupid it was that I couldn't hit anything because the gun was shaking around and throwing my aim off.

The VS also had 51% world pop. PPA spam is pretty demotivating as well.

Yes, the new sights will be very nice. I've been using the 6x overlay sight instead of the 4x truesight on the warden because I don't have to let it reset to have a scope not fibbing to me where the bullet will go.

The sad thing about the VS is they are beatable if TR and NC attack them instead of each other. Unfortunately some TR outfits don't want to fight the VS because they are more difficult.

Spoiler: Large screenshot 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Large screenshot 2 (click to show/hide)

There may be NC outfits that feel the same but while I hear people say they hate fighting VS but most will fight them when necessary despite their weaponry and overpopulation and the elitist outfits. VS seems to have a higher population of people who like to gloat about winning at 50+% population while playing the realm considered relatively easy mode. I've never seen another realm spam yell in those situations like VS do; NC and TR often have one or two guys doing it but VS will spam pages and pages of text from fifty different players.

Added altogether I'm hardly playing PS2 anymore and I'm hoping the September patch will increase performance enough I'm interested in logging in most nights when I have time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:19:10 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: September 23, 2014, 08:23:23 pm »

For me it seems like TR is not on the continent I'm on in general, since I don't see them that often on Emerald (when I do, then the NC are either losing badly or are on a different continent, or its an alert). Much more common for me to be running into you blueshirted shotgunners, or all the bolt drivers and vanguards that eventually show up instead.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: September 25, 2014, 01:25:35 am »

Got myself the halberd for my harasser. Really good weapon, and I have used it to great effect against lightnings and sunderers, even solo. The drop from 1000 -> 800 damage from the MBT version is kind of lame, though I understand why. The Enforcer is probably a little better, but the AI capabilities of it really cripple you. With the Harasser, I really think having AI capability is key.

Still soloing it, though. I have started to get really frustrated with my gunners - I have still yet to find one that isn't terrible. It's like a game of "pick two: terrible aiming, target selection, or awareness.".

I'm also trying my best not to just rage about the VS constantly, but it's getting really hard. Overpowered and overpopped dont combine well.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:05:30 am by Rex_Nex »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: September 25, 2014, 09:38:13 am »

I've discovered an amusing new way to kill people. UBGL shots do 750 impact damage if they hit a target before they arm. Amusingly enough, the UBGL grenades have a headshot multiplier, resulting in headshots with UBGL grenades being one hit kills.

For some strange reason smoke grenades fired from the UBSL do not have a headshot multiplier. I wish they did. It would be a funny way to kill people. It's too bad the kill feed only shows 'TRAC-5 S' as the kill weapon instead of 'Underbarrel Smoke' because people deserve to know what they just got humiliated with.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: September 25, 2014, 09:41:48 am »

I've killed a few people with underbarrel smoke grenades before, mostly by accident. You could probably ublg+knife combo people, but if that's what you're going for the ubsg is probably a better choice.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: September 25, 2014, 10:43:37 am »

There's a problem with using grenades at melee range?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 826